Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 06-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
Stain
GX Member

Stain is on a distinguished road
Uh-Oh

So me and a buddy bought some led strips and a switch at pepboys today. We took my car apart, trying to find wires to connect them to. My friend told me he knew what he was doing so I let him do whatever as long as everything worked. He tried to hook up the led's via the cigarette lighter on the passenger side. They didn't work and now neither of my cigarette lighters work. Anyone know how I can fix and get the lights to work?

Note : I have no clue what I'm doing, so dumbing it down would be great!

Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
You blew the fuse, It's in the fuse box under the hood. I forget which one it is, but I'm going to guess #37

It should say on the sticker under the lid of the box

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
Brad Jahnke

Yep...what redog said. When u go to hook them up NEXT time lol...do yourself a favor...go to auto zone, buy a 10 Watt fuse tap (the part number has "HHH" in the number), plug it into ur drivers side fuse for ur turn signals and run a wire to wherever ur switch is. Then ground the switch and splice the ground to the two ground wires for ur led strip...power wires to the last terminal and you're golden. If u have any questions regarding how to do this or if u have any intention on wiring up more than one or two strips, send me a pm, and ill try to help u out. There's also a couple good how to's if you use that search button.

Last edited by Brad Jahnke : 06-11-2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: my spelling fails :(
Old 06-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
also leds can only be hooked up one way unlike a regular light bulb (doesnt matter what way current goes through the element, it will still light) make sure you have +/- hooked up the right way on the leds.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
Stain
GX Member

Stain is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys. Appreciate it

Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
if ur gunna keep doin custom lighting, get used to it.
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by heineck View Post
if ur gunna keep doin custom lighting, get used to it.

QFT. I've burned out sooooo many fuses...

Old 06-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
2 tips for ya.

If you touching bare, live wires, don't let any part of your body touch the metal on the car. You'll feel it, but it doesn't hurt too much if at all.

Watch using tools around live connections. I blew quiet a few fuses on my Delta, but only one or 2 on my Alero. I did get majorly shocked by both of my cars and the ex wife's car only once. I think the ex wife planed that one out though, but no kitty Jap car could hurt me, (actually it did hurt)

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
2 tips for ya.

If you touching bare, live wires, don't let any part of your body touch the metal on the car. You'll feel it, but it doesn't hurt too much if at all.

Watch using tools around live connections. I blew quiet a few fuses on my Delta, but only one or 2 on my Alero. I did get majorly shocked by both of my cars and the ex wife's car only once. I think the ex wife planed that one out though, but no kitty Jap car could hurt me, (actually it did hurt)

You don't feel 12V. at all... unless the wires are on directly opposite sides of the same finger. There simply is not enough voltage to make any bit of harm to the human body there.

..if this was a home electrical repair, then yes.... 120V does tickle a little bit and 240V will put you on your ass.

And before people contest this, I've held both wires with a thumb and one finger MULTIPLE times, as well as been hit with up to 520V (and whatever a fence is that keeps the horses in their stable) 12V is kiddyland hijinx and is totally harmless.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Yep, it's not the voltage that will kill ya though. It's the Amps.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaliers60 View Post
Yep, it's not the voltage that will kill ya though. It's the Amps.

Those wires can't pull enough amps, and neither does your body. Voltage pushes the amps. Without high volts, your getting minimal amps. Its why you can bridge the terminals on the battery with your amp and not feel anything.

Matter of reference... a static shock can go up to ~35,000V. (with barely any amps at all)