Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 07-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Hand Brake Handle

Good afternoon everyone. I just got this product on fleabay (http://www.andysautosport.com/oldsmo...o00000490.html) Does anyone know how to take the oem handle of, or if it is even possible?
Old 07-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
prolly should have researched that before you dropped some dough...heh. My guess is that it can come off....cuz why else would they make such a product?

as for HOW to take it off.....I'm at a loss at the moment...but my best guess would be to start by taking off the shifter bezel to get in there.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
Valley olds
GLS member

Sorry for the late posting. I have little to no access to internet on weekends, but I guess I will give it a better look this week. If it does not work, I guess I will not install it.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
emncfi
GX Member

emncfi is on a distinguished road
From my car, which is a GA, but should be the same, when we took off the non leather handle off the SE and replaced it with the leather one, well, lets just say, pull, and pull hard, twisting on the handle as you are pulling, it will come off eventually, don't know if the Alero is the same, but its worth a try.
1994 Stealth RT twin turbo, (1 of 1000)
2001 Mercedes SLK roadster
2006 Mercedes E55 AMG
emncfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
Valley olds
GLS member

^ I am guessing it should be the same. I am glad that you already did it though. If I have any questions, i will go ahead and ask you.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #6
Valley olds
GLS member

I just tried to install it. The OEM handle came out just how emncfi had stated, however, the handle I got, did not fit. The hole of the handle that the lever goes into was too small, thus it would not go completely in. So, I guess that it was a waste of money.

edit: Also, in case anyone wants to know, the handle comes off by itself, while the button stays on the lever.

Last edited by Valley olds : 07-07-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Valley olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
only asking because i am not sure what all is attached to the handle but if it just slips on couldn't you drill it out to fit
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
Valley olds
GLS member

Quote:
03glgold: only asking because i am not sure what all is attached to the handle but if it just slips on couldn't you drill it out to fit

Maybe I could grind a little on the metal off the lever to make it smaller, but I don't really want do mess something up by grinding where I am not supposed to.

As for what stays attached, when you remove the handle, the plastic button you usually push to release the hand brake, stays on the lever when the handle is removed.