Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 08-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Hectic
GX Member

Hectic is on a distinguished road
Interior questions

My interior vinyl is Grey and what is now brownish.

Was their aleros made with just one colour interior? As I'm looking to swap it to make it look a little cleaner.

Also, I'm looking to paint all the plastic interior pieces, can someone possibly show me how to remove them so I can paint them properly?
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
there was a pewter(grey) and tan interior, and an all tan, with darker and lighter shades of the brown. as for taking out trim pieces, most simply pop out like the little defrost vents, trim around the hazzard button, even the radio and shifter bezels just have to be carefully pulled or pried out. for the shifter bezel first pull the little staple on the front side of the knob out and take it off. then just free the bezel, undo the little light and pull it off. the vents are similar but the center one can be a pain and the one above the glove box is close to impossible, but there should b a decent write up on removing them. and be tasteful when/if you paint trim pieces. dont go painting everything you can pull out. it will look bad, and you will get sick of it pretty quickly. i have a white alero, and i painted the gauge bezel, radio and shift bezel white. i think it looks good, but not over done. also, prep everything the right way and make sure its nice and clean and dry before you paint.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
Hectic
GX Member

Hectic is on a distinguished road
That's sort of what I'm doing.

I'm leaving the cluster black, painting the centre console plastics white, along with the vents. The door handle panels will he white with black handles.

Was hoping to be able to get one tone interior door panels and dash, as I think it would look a lot nicer.
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:26 AM   #4
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
ya, one color would look better i think too. as far as painting the handles and stuff, they get a lot of use, and will get kinda grungy looking, especially white. vents get grimey looking too from adjusting them. make sure you use a good deal of clear coat on them, thats probly the only way youre gonna be able to keep them clean.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:06 AM   #5
Tuse31
GX Member

Tuse31 is on a distinguished road
You can always duplicolor vinyl/fabric the dash pieces. And make sure to use krylon fusion for the plastic. I also suggest sanding any plastic pieces with 2000 grit sandpaper, followed by a wipe down of acetone, paint thinner or mineral spirits before painting to make sure it bonds and holds correctly. I just did most of the plastic pieces and some vinyl in my car.
Tuse31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:27 AM   #6
pimpalero2003
GLS member

pimpalero2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow do not use any of the above to clean plastic!! It will eat it! Use rubbing alcohol or denature alcohol but dillute both with water.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:56 AM   #7
JD1
GX Member

JD1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
That's sort of what I'm doing.

I'm leaving the cluster black, painting the centre console plastics white, along with the vents. The door handle panels will he white with black handles.

Was hoping to be able to get one tone interior door panels and dash, as I think it would look a lot nicer.

your going to ruin your interior, the whites going to look like shit quick if you dontkeep up on it...black accents would look better by far and way less of a chance ofooking like shit over time.
JD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
^ what he said. all my trim pieces are black and they look sweet. been on there for about 3 months and no fade
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:27 AM   #9
Tuse31
GX Member

Tuse31 is on a distinguished road
Pimpalero, I had no problems with the plastic being eaten. From the research I've done and the people I've talked to, they all told me to use mineral spirits or paint thinner because you want the krylon fusion to bite into the plastic and to hold. It helps with bonding the new color material with the stock, raw material. By using mineral spirits, it removes the factory coating over the plastic. I'm pretty sure a quick wipe is fine. Especially when you are coating the pieces with a new surface and color. It helps to avoid chips and scratches.
Tuse31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
pjwallington
GX Member

pjwallington is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpalero2003 View Post
Wow do not use any of the above to clean plastic!! It will eat it! Use rubbing alcohol or denature alcohol but dillute both with water.

Agree with the Rubbing alcohol ^
pjwallington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #11
pjwallington
GX Member

Has anyone replaced the brown carpet-like mterial on the door panels with black ? I want to know how it looks..
Old 06-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #12
the_weber
GL Member

the_weber is on a distinguished road
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...ght=vinyl+door

pj your making your old mistakes again. search button. found that in under a minute. will be doing this mod soon though and will let you know how it turns out.
-Optima yellow top. This battery went end over end in my jeep (not strapped down) 13 times for 75 feet. and now is in my alero. one tough battery
-Cleared Corners/Painted Bezels
the_weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #13
pjwallington
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_weber View Post
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...ght=vinyl+door

pj your making your old mistakes again. search button. found that in under a minute. will be doing this mod soon though and will let you know how it turns out.

Ill try harder ! and will do the same