Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 12-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
DaRockwilder
GL Member

DaRockwilder is on a distinguished road
Remote start with Immobilizer

Hey all!

My Alero has an immobilizer that was required by my insurance company, and was installed for free at their chosen location. It requires a fob to be in proximity of the ignition switch in order for it to start. As far as I know, I don't have the factory installed security system.

I'm thinking about installing a remote start, which I would install myself. Is it possible to do this with an immobilizer system already installed? I think it would be wise, for obvious reasons, to leave this system in tact and functioning correctly.

Also, does anyone have a good link for the wiring diagrams under the dash? I have a cheap manual but often there are better diagrams on alarm sites.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by DaRockwilder : 12-03-2009 at 01:00 PM.
DaRockwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
for one, every alero has the factory "security" system. It doesn't do a whole hell of a lot, its just passlock really. As for the auto start, there are modules out there to bypass systems like that immobilizer, just have to find out which one will work with your brand and model of immobilizer. I'd recommend that if you aren't extremely comfortable and somewhat knowledgeable about splicing into many many wires in your main car harness, and if you haven't done an auto start before, leave the install to a pro. It can be an easy thing to mess up with just one wire or one programming switch in the wrong place. And the pros will know what module you need to bypass the immobilizer so the auto start will work, and the the immobilizer to still work at all other times.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
DaRockwilder
GL Member

Thanks for the reply! I've done one remote start install before in the past. I'm comfortable splicing into my cars main harness. I've got experience with wiring in other automotive applications, and have done a lot of other work to my car myself with no trouble.

I'll see if I can find out the model and make of my immobilizer.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
jayson_waltz
GLS member

Ok with your experience you should have no problem at all doing this then after finding the right parts/modules/whatever that work.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
you will need a second key (valet key) that will be hid away inside your car so that the system will recognize a key inside and will allow it to be started from your remote.

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
jayson_waltz
GLS member

^you used to. peripheral makes a module to eliminate the need to do that anymore. anyways, the alero doesn't have a chip in the key. and he wouldn't wanna hide a second fob in the car, b/c then the immobilizer would be permanently disabled.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
DaRockwilder
GL Member

Okay, I found my paperwork, and my car has an Autowatch 753 immobilizer installed. Does anyone know if there is a module available for it to work with a remote start system?

If it matters, my car no longer has the factory stereo, and I used a module to hook it up that I mounted under the dash, and makes the chime noises instead of it going through the speakers like the factory system.

Thanks for anything!
Old 12-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
alerogls001
GL Member

alerogls001 is on a distinguished road
Not sure that this will help but I just had a alarm w remote start pager and it works great. As far as I know the only other thing they used was the bypass module.

MP Racing CAI, Pacesetter Exhaust, and PCM. High flow CAT. KYB GR2 struts. Canuck Motorsport Springs. Cross drilled rotors. Stern ST18 17" rims.
alerogls001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
jayson_waltz
GLS member

ok so after more thinking, a universal one might work.
http://www.velocitymotorsport.com/se...ransponder.htm or similar

even with your immobilizer being aftermarket, there should still be just one wire that changes its output either from ground to pos or pos to ground when the fob is within range. You should just be able to hook up a bypass module that when the autostart sends the start signal to its module in the car, the bypass module puts out the right current to the immobilizer so it thinks the fob is in range.

Either that or screw the immobilizer, disable it completely and just put an alarm on with your auto start.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
DaRockwilder
GL Member

so, am I going to need a module for my factory system AND the aftermarket immobilizer?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
undersc0re
GX Member

undersc0re is on a distinguished road
The imobilizer probably cuts out 2 or 3 things to keep it from starting and to boot they probably tucked it way up there and used black wires to make it even harder, you would have to put an imobilizer fob near the ignition or hook up the command start before the bypass cuts made for hooking up the imobilizer which is gonna be fun, I would personally use velcro on the spare imobilizer fob and a spot under the dash up near the ignition and stick it up there for the time your using the remote start and then remove it for summer or when parking it somewhere it could get stolen. You could go back to the guys that put the imobilizer in and pay to have them install the remote starter in a way that won't affect the imobilizer(for insurance purposes).
undersc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #12
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
you COULD replace the complete assy. with a system that enables you to use the immobilizer... and when that fib that is congruent with the immobilizer is used, the car will start, make sure your insurance company will accept it though
Old 12-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #13
DaRockwilder
GL Member

Yeah, I think I'll just have to get the unit upgraded through my insurance company. Probably should have done that to begin with.

Auto Watch makes units with remote start built in, so I shouldn't have much trouble going that route.

Thanks all for the replies! I was hoping it would be a little easier than this.