Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 07-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
mastershake
GL Member

mastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond repute
seafoaming with new plugs

i just put in new plugs a month ago, and i was dumb enough not to seafoam BEFORE i did it. is it safe to do it now or should i just skip it?

the reason i ask is because im STILL getting like 23 mpg mostly highway, and im desperate to find more ways to increase mileage without spending hundreds of dollars.

on a side note, has anyone ever tried engine restore? i've heard good things about it and was going to try it on my next oil change
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
comanche
V.I.P. Member

comanche is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Restore did nothing for me.... with an 88 4.3L Vortec burning oil...

Have you replaced your fuel filter yet?
How many miles on the car?
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
mastershake
GL Member

mastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond repute
its got 205k miles.

heres a list of shit ive replaced so far:

fuel filter
cat converter
sticking front caliper
air filter
changed oil to synthetic
sparks/plugs with ac delco iridium
front o2 sensor
trans fluid/filter

also i cleaned the MAF and throttle body recently, ran techron through, i keep nothing in my car, drive like a grandma, and keep the tires at 40 psi. wtf gives?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
mastershake
GL Member

oh and i know i just posted a gas mileage thread not too long ago... if a mod wants to go delete it please do, i dont want to spam up the forums with this haha
Old 07-11-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
even with all the new stuff you have on it, you gotta think to yourself, the car is about 10 years old and 205k miles is a LOT. sometimes it just aint what it used to be. altho i could be totally wrong. i have an 01 LD9 with not even 50k on it and i get and average of 24 mpg. just blame michigan lol. this state sucks ass

Done lost my mind
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #6
mastershake
GL Member

agreed michigan sucks.

and even though the car has 205k miles, they are mostly highway. the people that sold it to us bought it with low miles (like 30k?) and only drove it from big rapids to grand rapids every day for work. and it runs awesome too. just shitty mileage... >:|

*edit* i guess i shouldnt say "shitty mileage" seeing as i got like 11 mpg in the winter... so its improved a bit
Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #7
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
what about fuel? try going to a differenct station to fill up and see what that will get you.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
You will foul the plugs or degrade the quality of the plugs enough to warrant changing.

Dont waste your time with Seafoam. Its a half assed product. Goto GM Dealer and get a bottle of the Top End Cleaner. Now that is a good product! WAY more potent that Seafoam. Works the exact same.

Just buy some cheap Autolite copper plugs at walmart. Install, use the Top End Cleaner, then put on a few miles (few hundred). Replace with good plugs and enjoy.

Also 40 PSI on your tires? Seriously? In the Alero are you not only supposed to have like 28 PSI? When you over inflate you loose traction and also wear the middle part of the tire faster...
Old 07-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
32 psi for 15" rubber and my GLS with 16" only takes 30psi
Old 07-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
i have 40 psi for my 18s and 32 psi for my 16 stocks. i seafoamed my car the other day.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
mastershake
GL Member

i usually fill up with shell because its the best quality around here (no chevron stations) and sometimes i use marathon... but i dont notice a difference in mileage between the 2

as for the tire PSI, i usually keep them at 32, but my dad rotated my tires recently and filled them up to 40 (they were warm). the rating on them is 44 psi so im not too worried.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #12
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
That might end up being a BIG mistake switching to synthetic with that many miles on the car! Usually they say the latest you can switch to synthetic is at like 30-40k....not 200! lol
Old 07-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #13
TheThickster
GX Member

TheThickster is on a distinguished road
You could pour the seafoam in your gas tank and it will clean as you drive.
The car really gets up and goes. I do this when im too feeling lazy to pour through the booster line. Also I dont have to change my oil after wards when using through the gas tank. I believe seafoam gets into the oil when used through the booster line.

Just hit 210,000 miles bisches
TheThickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #14
misslindseysue
MINIac

misslindseysue is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to misslindseysue
Did you really switch to synthetic at 200k?

1st, switch back. Run it for a few 100 miles, then change it again.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #15
mastershake
GL Member

yes i switched to synth at 205k. come at me bros

but seriously ive been running it for about 600 miles now and its not leaking a drop of oil so im not worried about it. and it quieted the lifter tick a bit so thats a plus. im not switching back to dino unless my car starts leaking oil.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #16
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake View Post

Old 07-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #17
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake View Post

but seriously ive been running it for about 600 miles now and its not leaking a drop of oil so im not worried about it. and it quieted the lifter tick a bit so thats a plus. im not switching back to dino unless my car starts leaking oil.

switch back to regular oil.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #18
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
You will foul the plugs or degrade the quality of the plugs enough to warrant changing.

Dont waste your time with Seafoam. Its a half assed product. Goto GM Dealer and get a bottle of the Top End Cleaner. Now that is a good product! WAY more potent that Seafoam. Works the exact same.

Just buy some cheap Autolite copper plugs at walmart. Install, use the Top End Cleaner, then put on a few miles (few hundred). Replace with good plugs and enjoy.

Also 40 PSI on your tires? Seriously? In the Alero are you not only supposed to have like 28 PSI? When you over inflate you loose traction and also wear the middle part of the tire faster...

I agree for the most part with him here. Only difference, if you read the SI doc about the top end cleaner you'll see that it is to be mixed with gas and fed to the fuel rail with a pressure canister. The same way a "proper" injector cleaning is done. The top end cleaner bottle has a section to the top of it that will allow you to make precise measurement of the cleaner in a ratio to fuel for best results. Do this twice, then replace the plugs. If I remember, the bottle has the ratio required in the directions on the back of it.
GM also has a "Ring Cleaner" available that is poured directly into each plug hole and has to sit for somethin like 4 hours before starting, then shutting down and changing the oil. The product can also be used to make an attempt at getting a locked or siezed motor to fire up! Just an FYI

Last edited by MMGT1 : 07-12-2011 at 09:06 PM.
MMGT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #19
mastershake
GL Member

whats the beef with synth oil? i know that theres a risk i could start leaking oil, and i know its not going to "extend the life of my engine".

i just thought that it would be good to help with dry starts and it would withstand more harsh temps, because i drive on the highway alot when its hot. plus it pretty much costs the same seeing as i can double the change interval...
Old 07-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #20
misslindseysue
MINIac

misslindseysue is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to misslindseysue
No beef if you had started using it when the car was new. My car came from the factory with full synthetic. But ffs, don't change with 205k. All those gaskets, o-rings, and seals that are puffed up with regular oil will leach it out and let the synthetic just flow right through. Same with all those little scuffs in your cylinder walls that were too tiny for regular oil to get past.

And what's a dry start? If you want, drive 10W30 in the summer and 5W30 in the winter, that'll flow better. Just stick with what the engine tells you.