Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 07-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
jeenysrider07
V.I.P baby

jeenysrider07 is on a distinguished road
bondo

so today i decided to put a grill in the front and around fog lights and fix a crack in the stock body kit. it was my first time using bondo but i think i did ok.

Last edited by jeenysrider07 : 08-16-2008 at 11:32 AM.
jeenysrider07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
Hard to tell in pictures, but it looks alright. I personally like fiberglass body filler way harder than bondo. Bondo likes to crack if you dont do it right.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
JOEY GLADSTONE
GX Member

JOEY GLADSTONE is on a distinguished road
lol you gonna sand that down anymore or just leave that lump of noticable bondo there?
JOEY GLADSTONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
incorrect way to repair plastic, bondo fiberglass does not and will not stick or last on plastic, the correct way to to repair the plastic should have been first to indentify what type of plastic your working with
inside the bumper you should see this TPO/TPE.TEO/PP our bumper are not polyurathene, which are yellow in color
so thus said those types of plastics are thermo set plastics/offlien plastics which need a adheshion promoter for any type of of plastic repair material to stick
so what ya need to do is remove the body filler, D.A. with 80, identify what is wrong with the plastic is it cracked is it small chips, is there a dent in the plastic if there is a dent the only plastic that has "memory" is polyurathene all other plastics do not have memory and need allot of heat to reshape
so when the plastic is preped clean it with a amonia free glass cleaner, if you dont have acsess to plastic prep amonia free glass cleaner works just as good
apply adheshion promoter let it dry for 15 mins, then apply the repair material, start with 80 then 120, there is no need for a 2nd coat of adheshion promoter
re apply a finish coat of repair material sand with 120 then 180 then 240, STAY AWAY FROM RATTLE CAN PRIMER!!!!!!
it is not flexable it does not have the high build film needed in repair work, or if you use ppg`s ncp 271 apply dx801 let it dry for 30 mins then apply 271 any high build primer needs 2 coats sometimes more for film build thickness and adheshion
or use ppgs flexable primer

that is the correct way that is the way plastic should be fixed, what you did needs to come off and you need the correct repair material on the bumper, and it will also work kfor bonding that mesh to the bumper
if ya need more help i can try to walk you through the process but it would be knida hard online
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
jeenysrider07
V.I.P baby

ya like i said it was my first time and if i sand any further i hit the crack i tried twice and thats how it will stay for now.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:25 PM   #6
jeenysrider07
V.I.P baby

and the redish color is just the color of the hardner the bondo its self is grayish white
Old 07-20-2008, 11:39 PM   #7
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
ok so the plastic is cracked , so there are 2 way to repair cracks, 1 bondo is not one of them
1, the plastic need to be lightly grinded on both sides, then a v-groove should be grinded in the crack its self
so what i posted above our bumpers need adheshion promoter for anything to stick too, once its dry, 3m sells a roll of plastic material that is lined with mesh, one side is sticky to stick to the plastic
i use fusor extreme repair material, apply it to both sides of the crack let it dry for 24 hours thats full cure time, on the out side sand with 80, then apply the finish glaze material yes fusor makes a plastic repair finishing glaze, sand with 120 then 180 then 240
thats one way here is the other way
same thing both sides are ginded its v-grooved, plastic welding is another great choice, weld both sides, when you get good at it you can smooth it out on the out side and apply the repair material right over the weld
but again it needs adheshion promter before repair material is applied
what you did wont last, it will crack right off, if you want you can ship the bumper to me and i ship back in primer
for a small fee of course
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:51 PM   #8
jeenysrider07
V.I.P baby

no i think i can handel it so can you get me a link for all the materials i will need to do this correctly. i now understand what you wht you were saying
Old 07-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #9
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
ya, bondo and plastic dun work lol