Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 07-21-2008, 11:59 PM   #1
jeenysrider07
V.I.P baby

jeenysrider07 is on a distinguished road
fiberglass/ bondo

so today i was looking at my car and I though it would look better if the trunk was one piece other than being split into two above tho licence plate. So i fiberglassed itthat stuff is very strong. Anyways it still needs sanded a little more then primed and painted.

Last edited by jeenysrider07 : 07-28-2008 at 06:17 PM.
jeenysrider07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:05 AM   #2
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
why would you do such a thing? lol.

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:11 AM   #3
jeenysrider07
V.I.P baby

to make it into one piece, stop vibration from subs,stop my trunk from ratteling, It doesnt look good now but one it is painted it will look nice.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:21 AM   #4
bizarre179
GL Member

bizarre179 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bizarre179
Damn you are going to town on this body work stuff! Hope it turns out good.

kim<3
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2981709
bizarre179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:28 AM   #5
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
how experienced are you at body work??? I would never attempt such a thing if I didn't know a whole lot about it..... I would have at least taken the trunk lid off the car first....
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:31 AM   #6
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Can't wait for bdyman to see this and chime in.

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:44 AM   #7
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
chiming................you do realize that the finish panle is plastic, and your fiberglassin and tryin to bond plastic to metal, and the vibration of a system is going to rattle that right off, the seam you filled is going to crack , its not goin to last at all
you should have made it out of metal and just removed the finish panle hence "shaving" the deck lid, you should really ask before you attmept something like this so its done the right way, because when the line cracks its goin to have to come all off
and then what are you going to do do you have metal fab experience, can you weld, i dunno what else to say except it does not look good and it will crack
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:34 AM   #8
jeenysrider07
V.I.P baby

i put so much fiberglass in there its not going to crack for sure. I also filled the back of the plastic piece with this foam insulation stuff which stops alot of the vibration so it shouldnt crack. I am very happy with that insulation stuff, My trunk is so much quieter now.

Last edited by jeenysrider07 : 08-30-2008 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:26 AM   #9
02AleroEco
GL Member

02AleroEco is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 02AleroEco
looks good, not somethin id do. but more power to ya
02AleroEco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:45 AM   #10
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
and what is that rattle can primer, which is the worst stuff to put on a car, its is not a catalyised product, nor is it a high build substrate to promote any type of adheshion to the metal
and just becasue you think that appling fiberglass on thick and heavy you will have nothing but more problems in a few months, fiberglass is not made to bond plastic its made to work on metal and fiberglass, and why didnt you remove the tail lights, or any of the lights in the deck lid
and putting a hard line especially with rattle can crap, no matter what ya do your going to see that line in sealer in base and clear, you never put a hrad tape line never, always go past body work
and what is the foam your talkin about is it called great stuff?? why would you do that, this is a epic fail, you really should have asked what would be the correct way not the unexperienced back yard body man way, and what about when its time to paint the rattle can crap is a disaster waintg to happen, its enamle and your goin to be putting a urathene product ontop of it there is goin to be huge problems, lifting, wrinkling, fish eyes, crows feet,
you should have asked
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:00 AM   #11
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
it will crack...
Old 07-22-2008, 09:28 AM   #12
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
^regardless of the experts opinions... the quality of the project is pretty good. albeit done the wrong way (wrong primer, wrong filler) but we're all seem worse fiberglass work done on this site.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #13
Oldsnut

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
^regardless of the experts opinions... the quality of the project is pretty good. albeit done the wrong way (wrong primer, wrong filler) but we're all seem worse fiberglass work done on this site.
How is it quality if done wrong? Its like building a house and using 1/3 of the lumber and covering with dry wall. Looks good by appearance right now, but one good wind, Crash. Yes, we have seen many bad glass jobs but don't try and make him all warm and fuzzy.

There is enough expertise on Aleromod that this guy should have asked before jumping in. It will cost him twice as much to fix it when it cracks.

Cherry, stick to electronics and leave the bodywork up to bdyman.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #14
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
i'm saying the sanding and making it blend, looks like a decent job. He did good fiberglass work, just in the wrong spot.

maybe i'm wrong... but this looks pretty smooth to me.

i've certainly seen worse work done on this board. He just needs to learn when/where to use it, and we'll have another decent glasser on here. I don't want to discourage him from ever doing it again, just be sure your doing it right next time. I certainly couldn't do that kinda job. IF the trunk was metal and metal..that'd be a well done job (minus the wrong paint)

glassing skills +. glassing knowledge -.

but thats what we have bdyman for. to let us know when things like this are good and bad. if he didn't jump in, i would have thought that was a great job done.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #15
Oldsnut

If he painted it right now it would look like crap.

There are others who have great glass skills on Aleromod besides bdyman. Plenty of people to ask questions to and avoid costly time wasting mistakes. I also don't like to discourage people either but people have to learn to ask for help and advise.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:01 AM   #16
cherrington17
Gone

i completely agree. but its no reason to not compliment the work. hes still rather new, no reason to flame for lack of knowledge.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #17
jeenysrider07
V.I.P baby

The only reason i used rattle can primer is because after sanding there was some bare metal and it was suppose to rain and i didnt want it to rust that primer will be sanded off then the correct primer will be put on, also i did take the tail light out i just put them back in when i was done to take the picture then later on after i got the primer i took the lights out again primed it than put the lights back in
Old 07-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #18
jeenysrider07
V.I.P baby

and the fiberglass isnt just on the out side i also put a decent amount on the back sidearound the top.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #19
Trickyslick
V.I.P. Member

Trickyslick is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks good...nice concept I hope it holds in there for you.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2231641/1
Trickyslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #20
jeenysrider07
V.I.P baby

thanks