Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 08-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
jeenysrider07
V.I.P baby

jeenysrider07 is on a distinguished road
Cold Air Intake

SO i Ordered a CAI off ebay and I have been reading on here alot and now I am worried about hydrolock. I found the aem air bypass valve on ebay for 50 bucks, which seems alot. I also found this and I was curious if anyone knows if this is just a filter or what? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-75-...29#description

Sorry dont know how to put a link on here, also sorry for the newb question.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
jeenysrider07
V.I.P baby

Well i guess i got the link on there.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #3
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
unless you drive into a small pond.. dont even worry about it.

I've slapped a water puddle that was a good 2 inches deep traveling at around 25 - 30 MPH in the most horrifying rainfall i've ever witnessed in my life.. and yes my intake did suck up water..

all I had to do was park the car and let it dry and it was all good.

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Thats the part you're looking for. $10 plus shipping, thats a cheap insurance policy.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
jeenysrider07
V.I.P baby

Ya for ten bucks its worth it, well 50 is worth it but if thats what i need i am ordering it, cause i am worried about winter. Does any one else have some input on this item?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute

I use a CAI, driven year round, I've been through absolutely terrible rainfall even for a trip lasting 5-6 hours, hit huge puddles, etc.

Realize that in order to suck up water into your engine, the end of the intake piping must be completely submerged in a pool of water and remain there long enough for it to suck up a massive amount through the piping into the engine. So if you regularly drive through 1.5 feet of water or however low the end of your pipe is, get a bypass valve.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgear View Post
all I had to do was park the car and let it dry and it was all good.

this, or even sitting in a non-puddle area and rev it a few times (or just sit and idle a few minutes)...sure its a little extra wear-n-tear, but it burns off the residual moisture.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:51 PM   #8
Midgear
on vacation

^^^ your intake piping does not have to be submerged in order to inhale water up through the throttle body. simply splashing enough water onto the filter is sufficient enough to cause it to suck it up.. I've done it before- and I stalled right in the middle of the road.

be advised that this was extreme conditions.. pissing rain and my car barreling through a 1" - 2" deep puddle of water. driving in the rain will not effect it.. getting it drenched in water will.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:54 PM   #9
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I only run the CAI on the track, all the other times I run the WAI.

I have a CAI, I just convert it

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
@Midgear: impossible.. did you take off your intake piping and find water inside it? your water splash may have hit electronics instead. if you sucked up enough water to kill the engine, you've likely done some damage, as water is hardly compressible and that force gets exerted on the piston/rod/rest of engine. no way you sucked up enough water to cause an issue like that unless your filter is chicken wire fencing and you don't have a fenderwell liner and thus the tire is throwing every bit of water onto it.

is your filter oiled? oil + water repel each other. my filter was slightly damp after my 5 hour drive through torrential rainfall and massive puddles, without any problems.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:57 PM   #11
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
I only run the CAI on the track, all the other times I run the WAI.

I have a CAI, I just convert it
... why
Old 08-21-2008, 09:57 PM   #12
Midgear
on vacation

I too fail to understand how the water reached the throttle body.. but there was certainly water inside the intake tubing.. I took it apart.

were talking acorn sized rainfall and road ways that were turning into canals.. like I said before- extreme conditions.. the intake filter -was not- submerged.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #13
[ion] C2
636 whp

same with me and i have forced induction, so you'd think if driving through hardcore raining conditions would affect you, it'd definitely have affected me. i definitely nailed some huge puddles and hydroplaned quite a bit on the way back from indiana.

then again, i plan to spray a 50/50 mix of water and methanol into my intake. the water cools down the supercharger and is vaporized by the time it reaches the cylinders. which is why if you had liquid water in your engine it would have caused some epic damage.

unless you wet the sensors in the throttle body and it didn't like that and it died. people have that issue with spraying meth/water before the TB sometimes.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #14
Midgear
on vacation

Mabey that's what killed it.. wetting the sensors and crap.. but poppin the intake tubing off and seeing water in there like that.. figured I just sucked up a bit of H20 into the engine and it took a shit in the middle of the road-

Old 08-21-2008, 11:16 PM   #15
jeenysrider07
V.I.P baby

i dont think i would get water in there, but for ten doll hairs what the hell, Better to be safe then sorry
Old 08-21-2008, 11:50 PM   #16
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
wet sensors aren't gonna hurt anything, i regularly hose off the engine at bandimere for a speedy cool down between runs and never have any problems.....
Old 08-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #17
Midgear
on vacation

I hose my engine all the time with a high pressure sprayer.. we're talkin about sucking water up through the intake and straight into the throttle body lol

Old 08-22-2008, 12:10 AM   #18
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
yes but your last post you talked that wet sensors may have killed the engine, hence my post.......
Old 08-22-2008, 12:12 AM   #19
Midgear
on vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
yes but your last post you talked that wet sensors may have killed the engine, hence my post.......

[ion]_C2's post is what led to my post.. lol

Old 08-22-2008, 12:16 AM   #20
kwhauck
2Screwy

so ions post led to yours which led to mine, which you responded to, with my response which has brought us to the current post........lol