Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 01-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Justy311
GL Member

Justy311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Blower Motor Question...Verification?

Hello,

I did a search, but my questions were not answered and figured I would ask the experts on here. This morning I went out and I started my car to warm it up, only to find that my defroster was not working, or any heat in my car for that. I did notice that heat was coming from the vents, just the fan was not blowing. I had a bad resister a few years ago, but I am leaning towards the motor and sure it could be the issue. A little while ago, a few months maybe, I had the issue where the fans would would go out then kick back on then go out for a little while, then out of no where kick back on. This is what is leading me to the blower motor.

Any feedback would be appreciated...I would prefer to replace this myself as I do not want to spend close to $200 to repair this as I hear it is not that hard of a repair (or am I wrong on that??)

Thanks in advance...

Justin

www.justinspolicecollection.com
Justy311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:55 AM   #2
Justy311
GL Member

Nobody has any comments yet? Until I get this fixed I have a car I can't drive in the cold of Minnesota.

Justin

Old 01-06-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
The motor is $40 at Autozone with a lifetime warranty.

The resistor is $20 at the same place.

If anything it sounds to me you have a bad connection or a broken wire- since it works sometimes.

My fan was bad, and it would work and as it got hot/in use for a period of time would slow down until it stopped...

My other car the fan just stopped working altogether.

I would buy both parts, start with the fan. If that doesnt fix it simply remove and switch the resistor.

Easiest way Ive found to do this is put the passenger seat all the way to the back and tilted down. Hop up in the seat backwards and work upside down. Unless your left handed then this should be cake for you.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Justy311
GL Member

Thanks Ryan. I do not think its the resister or a loose connection, but will poke around in there to see if I can fix it...

Thanks for the reply,

justin

Last edited by Justy311 : 01-06-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: misspelled my name.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
FamousFresh
GX Member

FamousFresh is on a distinguished road
im having the same problem but i cant work in the cold so i just kick that panel where the motor is and it kicks right on but its good too know somebody else is havin the same issue
FamousFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
Justy311
GL Member

I went out today and it was working like nothing was wrong...that car is a PITA sometimes...

I still plan on getting a new resister, motor and HVAC controls, hopefully something with those three is the issue...

justin

Old 01-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
bkathsalero
GL Member

bkathsalero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bkathsalero
It's most likely a motor. When it doesn't work hit under the glove box with meaningful but gentle hit and see if it pops on, if it does it's a motor. Alot of cars coming in the shop have complaints of an intermittent blower motor. In fact two days ago a Bonneville would have no blower motor but would kick on after heavy acceleration. In all cases r&r of the blower motor were confirmed as fixes. When a resistor goes out you usually run into the issue of not having all your fan speeds. N-bodys (GA's and Alero's for sure) have the biggest issue of loosing fan speed 1 & 2.

To troubleshoot the issue pop the BM out and probe for power and ground.

P.S it's good to be back on aleromod, I like the changes. And it's good to see another Minnesotan