Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 02-13-2005, 12:01 AM   #1
bnight04
GLS member

bnight04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to bnight04
Hey, I was just wondering whats the best performance chip/for the price to get.

I have been looking for awhile now and just need a few ideas.

Also, do i need to do anything else before I get the chip? The only performance upgrade that I have now is exhaust.....
Old 02-13-2005, 12:27 AM   #2
MilzyZ34
GX Member

MilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MilzyZ34
first off, it's a pcm not a chip. we don't just attach a chip to the computer, you need the whole computer relashed.

anyways, i think most people will say DHP. Intense-Racing just recently jumped into the n-body pcm market also, so that's another option. i'll let the n-body guys speak up on which is better.
1977 Corvette - LS1/LS6 T56 - Under Construction
MilzyZ34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:24 AM   #3
SilverBullet256

SilverBullet256 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to SilverBullet256
you will need to get the hypertech thermostat i think, and i would suggest a cai intake to come along with it, cause otherwise you wont see too much of a difference in power
Old 02-13-2005, 09:56 AM   #4
bnight04
GLS member

damn, how much is the hypertech thermostat? I havent ever heard of that thing.... issed:
Old 02-13-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
its just a thermostat thats colder than stock. stock is 195* i believe, you need a 180*. also, get a CAI

what year do you have? if its 2000+ DHP is the way to go. i didn't know intense was making new pcm's for us, but maybe they had to move off the W-body plateform cause they f***ed those guys over so bad with there pcm that had a bad habit of deystroying engines.....

EDIT: i dont see any n-body pcm's on intense's site, but what i do see is now they're just selling DHP instead of there's, so maybe they're selling the n-body dhp's too.

ALSO, on the top of the screen there's a button called "SEARCH" i find it very helpful for finding commonly asked questions
Old 02-13-2005, 12:18 PM   #6
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
if intense really ever came out with they're own pcm for n-bodies, i'd definitely check it out.... intense has done some pretty impressive things with w-bodies that didnt blow up.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:27 PM   #7
germ

they also blew up quite a few cars and when confronted about it on clubgp, they left the site and never post anymore, then opened up there own forum and is "invite" only (more like if you havent bashed us or we havent blown up your car you can join).

and yes, intense was going to TRY to start with grand ams, but grandamgt.com refused them outright from what i read and intense was going to jump on making some "parts" for the 3400 but then everyone on gagt didnt want the products due to some very interesting posts and links that were posted.

i wouldnt buy anything from intense, even if they say its a DHP PCM. im pretty sure they arent selling DHP pcms unless they drop HP Tuners and Charles at DHP and Intense people have kissed and made up (and i seriously doubt they did)
Old 02-13-2005, 12:27 PM   #8
bnight04
GLS member

yeah I have a 2000, and I did search really fast and nothing.
So I decided to make a discussion about them agian.....smart ass
Old 02-13-2005, 12:29 PM   #9
germ

your in Illinois right, just get ahold of Charles from DHP, drive to Chicago and have him tune your car personally

trust me, i drove from MN the first time and had him do it. well worth every penny
Old 02-13-2005, 01:30 PM   #10
MilzyZ34
GX Member

MilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond repute
in Intense's defense, i've had their pcm in my supercharged 3800 since may, and my car hasn't blown up.

maybe you should get your facts straight before you spread rumors about people. Intense left clubgp b/c they were tired of the b.s.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:38 PM   #11
mike2002
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by bnight04@Feb 13 2005, 12:27 PM
yeah I have a 2000, and I did search really fast and nothing.
So I decided to make a discussion about them agian.....smart ass
there's already a few discusions and a sticky about them....lazy ass :P

it was the 04+ GTP's that they were blowing up, advancing the timming over 20* in some spots, and instead of admiting a problem they kept selling there pcm's and completley deny any fault. then some people question this on there site, they either delete there posts and ban them, or change posts. like one guy saying he gained X amount of power from there PCM, they changed it to a bigger amount, trying to manipulate future buyers and car enthusists.

they did make some awesome products, and no doubt there pcm is probably a good one, but there prior actions show what kind of company they are, not one im willing to do buisness with. they think they can f*** over one community, then when they go up in uproar they can jump ship to another community, you guys can go ahead and get there stuff, im not
Old 02-13-2005, 01:45 PM   #12
mike2002
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by germ@Feb 13 2005, 12:29 PM
your in Illinois right, just get ahold of Charles from DHP, drive to Chicago and have him tune your car personally

trust me, i drove from MN the first time and had him do it. well worth every penny
hey germ, is it the same price to drive down there and have a custom tune done as just ordering a pcm?

get better gains?

at least you wont have to worry about the case learn/core with this, id do this, especailly if there matching intenses price. dhp didn't list there email address that i could i see
Old 02-13-2005, 02:00 PM   #13
germ

Quote:
Originally posted by MilzyZ34@Feb 13 2005, 01:30 PM
in Intense's defense, i've had their pcm in my supercharged 3800 since may, and my car hasn't blown up.

maybe you should get your facts straight before you spread rumors about people. Intense left clubgp b/c they were tired of the b.s.

mike2002, i think its cheaper to drive down there, but if he is doing price matching, i dont think your going to get it less than $99

and yes, you can expect better gains from having him do it in person rather than an "off the shelf" pcm code.
milzy, you live 5 minutes from them and your an intense leghumper just like im a DHP leghumper.

and since you brought up the fact that YOUR happy with your intense PCM, why dont you ask Shaun what he thinks of his? i swear he said that its the worst thing evar, and i am sure i can drag up some posts of his on mymonte. hell, even he bashes intense because of the poor service he got from them and poopty products and trying to blame his problems on something else when its something they provided for him.

i got my facts straight....

intense blows up a few 04 GP's...
bashing starts on clubgp...
no one fixes their f***ups...
they start their own forum with invite/autherization only...
stops posting on clubgp...
turns back on GP community and starts trying to reel in the last little bit of business they can from the N body crowd..
scott (founder/owner? of Intense) quites intense and washes his hands of the mess and moves to Georgia...
the 3800 or L67 is no longer in GM's lineup so they try to weasle in on any car they can since they have ignored them for so long and then want to make money off them when the GP community saw the true colors and pretty much said F intense.

of course intense will always have its followers, and so will every other company out there. but when it comes to what i just posted above, those are pretty much the facts as I SEE THEM.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:01 PM   #14
germ

oh yea milzy, i almost forgot to mention....

your may have not blown up, but did they ever get that boost drop off problem fixed or that "ghost" rev limiter? that was sure giving you some problems that day at the track in chicago.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:18 PM   #15
MilzyZ34
GX Member

Quote:
Originally posted by germ@Feb 13 2005, 02:01 PM
oh yea milzy, i almost forgot to mention....

your may have not blown up, but did they ever get that boost drop off problem fixed or that "ghost" rev limiter? that was sure giving you some problems that day at the track in chicago.
i got their pcm when they first started making them. myself and a few other people had the issue with the boost cut, it was addressed shortly after, and now there are no issues with it. when you start getting into this type of product, you're going to have some small hiccups in the beginning to get over. are you telling me that a dhp-equppied car never had issues, or never blew up? i know of quite a few instances where this happened, but rather then open that up and start a flame war, why don't we let the people who actually have the pcm on their n-body talk about theirs.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:34 PM   #16
germ

im not saying that DHP didnt have hiccups or anyone else for that matter, but when problems arouse from anything with DHP, i could swear DHP didnt turn tail and not help out the people they had issues with.

i know whenever i have been trying things on the powertuner and something happened like my PCM dieing, charles overnighted a new pcm for me, or paid me for getting a new one, and tried everything he could do for me one time when i got stuck at the track on a sunday and he spent MANY hours trying to find me someone or someplace that could get me up and running so i could drive home from the track. EVEN IF IT WAS MY FAULT, he would always help out as best as he could.

its not wether it f***s up, it wether or not the company will help you out when it does. DHP does and thats not N body specific or W body specific, and thats what people have issues with.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:03 PM   #17
SilverBullet256

SilverBullet256 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to SilverBullet256
wow, i didnt know there was such an argument over these things
Old 02-13-2005, 06:46 PM   #18
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Play nice

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 06:59 PM   #19
germ

im trying to

were not bashing each other, just bringing together lots of info for educated decission wether its good or not its info that should be known IMO