Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > At The Track

Old 03-18-2006, 06:20 PM   #1
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
ok, I decided before I go into putting the power to the road, I'd establish some baselines for DPP as a before and after.

Off we went to the track with a full-body Alero (nothing stripped out, and many things added in)

As you could all see from the pics in the other topic, all my accessories for the turbo have been installed, and I ran it with tire, jack, seats, everything in pretty much. Hit the scales at 3390 lbs, driver included.

Got there at 7pm and stayed till close at 11:30pm and only got to make 3 runs. There were 6 lanes feeding in, and about 20 cars deep each.

Now before I hear all the laughter remember, 3390 weight, ~4000 altitude, and didn't really have my head in the game, and was being really sloppy on launch techniques.

Run #1
R/T .701 (caught sleeping?)
60' 2.413
1/4 16.522
trap 81.63

Run #2
R/T .584 (hit the snooze button one more time)
60' 2.444
1/4 16.588
trap 81.65

Run #3
R/T .371
60' 2.442
1/4 16.552
trap 81.63

Not bad for consistency, but alot to be desired for technique and weight reduction.

Now that baselines are established, I'll have something to compare to once the turbo is operational.

Let the heckling begin

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:12 PM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Not bad, I guess the added on stuff added the weight. (I have my race weight about 3280 with a 1/4 tank of gas)

16.5 for a 4 banger is good too, esp with 100 extra lbs.

On your launch, hit the gas as soon as the 3rd amber comes on and your r/t will be about .100 on a bad launch

4000 ft did'nt help either

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:36 PM   #3
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
Quote:
Originally posted by Redog@Mar 18 2006, 09:12 PM
Not bad, I guess the added on stuff added the weight. (I have my race weight about 3280 with a 1/4 tank of gas)

16.5 for a 4 banger is good too, esp with 100 extra lbs.

On your launch, hit the gas as soon as the 3rd amber comes on and your r/t will be about .100 on a bad launch

4000 ft did'nt help either
he's got the sixer
Old 03-18-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
eag182
V.I.P. Member

eag182 is an unknown quantity at this point
what other mods do you have BJ?

and i must say that FMIC is 2x the size of the one they put on a TT diesel on Trucks! earlier today...man I still can't believe it fits!
eag182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:57 PM   #5
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
yeah, I did a no-no.....the track is out in the middle of nowhere, so I showed up with a full tank knowing I couldn't gas up before I left. I should have just brought out a gas can and stashed it somewhere. Oh well....I wasn't really out to use every advantage possible, I really just wanted to set a guide in normal daily street configuration. However, I've learned a few extra things from all this, when it's down to every tenth, I now have a couple extra tricks up the ole sleeve

Thanks for the tip, Redog

As for what other mods do I have installed......just modified CAI and the B&M Shift+......and none that are currently of any advantage, all the remaining modifications I have to add in are sitting here staring at me waiting for that last piece, the headers. Once they arrive, I'll drop on the (hate using this term) "stage 4" heads with SI valves, Manley springs, titanium keepers/locks, fully ported and polished; hogged out LIM, custom UIM, 70mm TB from a 4.3L Vortec, and the C5 MAF/IAT.

Old 03-19-2006, 07:58 AM   #6
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
Which track were you at? You can convert your high-altitude ET to a sea-level equivalent by using the NHRA Altitude Correction Factors that I posted in a spearate sticky thread in this section.

Using Fallon, NV's 4000' elevation as a comparison, your initial run of 16.522 @ 81.63 would translate at sea level to 15.712 @ 85.88 seconds if indeed the run was at 4000'.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:33 AM   #7
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

isn't 15.7 kind of fast for only having a CAI and B&M?

Oh yeah, and what are they using for altitude? True Altitude, Pressure Altitude.....ie, barometric pressure involved in that equation?

Old 03-19-2006, 12:33 PM   #8
SilverBullet256

SilverBullet256 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to SilverBullet256
no its not fast actually i was able to hit like 15.6 something when i went to the track with just a cai and not even full exhaust, matters on how good you react, and how heavy the car is, the weather, and the elevation
Old 03-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackJack@Mar 19 2006, 10:33 AM
isn't 15.7 kind of fast for only having a CAI and B&M?

Oh yeah, and what are they using for altitude? True Altitude, Pressure Altitude.....ie, barometric pressure involved in that equation?

I believe they use true altitude and the average air pressure & conditions for that altitude relative to the same weather conditions at sea level.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:53 PM   #10
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

ok, we've already addressed altitude, but considering 3390 weight and crappy reaction time.........I thought people were hitting 15.9 with CAI and high flow mufflers. My entire exhaust is entirely stock.

Old 03-19-2006, 07:44 PM   #11
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

What was the temp and humidity that night? And at what RPM were you shifting & launching at?
Old 03-19-2006, 10:51 PM   #12
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

average ambient temperature, approximately 72F, humidity ~15%, Altimiter setting around 30.05
Launched at only 2k RPMs each time
R/T's were bad, .7, .5, and .3

Old 03-20-2006, 12:01 AM   #13
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
install an alarm clock for next mod................LOL

guess not bad but at least you know where you currently are at.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:09 AM   #14
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

hahaha, yeah, no doubt.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting to break the "nearly stock" record, so I at least didn't set myself up for disappointment. But you get the idea at least. Now I can find out what that hairdryer is gonna do as soon as I complete the install.

By the way, until I get finished with the tranny build up, if anyone wants to send me their extra transmissions as a donation, that will keep me going till mine gets done.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:22 AM   #15
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackJack@Mar 19 2006, 10:51 PM
average ambient temperature, approximately 72F, humidity ~15%, Altimiter setting around 30.05
Launched at only 2k RPMs each time
R/T's were bad, .7, .5, and .3

If your car is an automatic trans, I found part of your problem. You should never launch an auto trans car above the stall speed of the convertor. If you just have a B&M shift kit and the stock convertor you're probably looking at around 1400-1600 stall speed. You want to launch at least 200 RPM below stall. Redog used to launch well over 2k but now gets his best ET's when launching around 1k (plus that's less wear and tear on the tranny and brakes). Where you shift at each point or if you leave it in D vs. 3 makes a big difference, too. You're best off leaving it in 3rd gear at launch (assuming again that you have the auto trans) and through the entire run. If you want you launch with the stick in 2nd and then manually shift from 2nd to 3rd @ 5200-5500.

The weather conditions weren't bad.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:05 PM   #16
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

just for informational purposes, all three runs were stalled to 2000, and using the B&M on stage 2.

first run I left it in 3, and it shifted on its own at ~5800.
second run I manually shifted 1,2,3 at ~6,000.
third run put it in 3, and autoshifted.

All 3 runs came out 16.5x

I have no idea why, but it seemed that no matter what I did, how late or soon I launched and no matter what RPM the shifts hit, they were all within a few hundredths of a second, and 81.6x MPH. Weird eh?

All of what you're saying does make sense though.

Old 03-21-2006, 07:43 AM   #17
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

That is weird. At least your car is consistent, which is key to winning barcket races if that's what you want to do with the car. Still, those times are quicker than if you left it in D and let the car shift on its own. Could be as much as .25 seconds difference which is common in automatics.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:09 AM   #18
Coupe

Dont worry about your R/T's, they make no difference on your final time.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:26 AM   #19
1WhiteOSV

god I hate it when people do "altitute corrections"..............your time is your time.......it's just an excuse to say your car is faster than what it is........if you want it to be faster then drive to a different altitude....but if you live high up and it's robbing your time, tough luck...go somewhere else to race.

sorry but I had to just vent a little there lol
Old 03-24-2006, 05:47 AM   #20
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

hahahaha, please. If you know what you're talking about, by all means, post something about it.

Known fact. Organizations such as NHRA would have no way of establishing a baseline nationwide without a conversion factor.

If you had any knowledge of the effect of altitude on internal combustion then you'd know how far off you were on that. Since you're a little ignant on the subject, I'll give you a quick lesson:

A cylinder is only capable of having a certain amount of volume at any particular density. Lower altitude air contains a higher percentage of oxygen per volume than at higher altitude. Oxygen is what helps the mixture burn when ignited. Therefore, at lower altitude, more powerful combustion. Higher altitude, less powerful combustion. That's why there's a conversion factor within such an organization, to establish a nationwide baseline that evens things out for comparison at varying altitudes.