Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 08-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
One step closer to a new car.

You read that right.... I'm one step closer to a new car.... Tonight, my power steering pulley decided it didn't want to be connected to the pump anymore.... It's been squeaking for a couple weeks now, and I could see it moving a bit back and forth.... So, I knew it was just a matter of time.... Thank goodness it happened when I was in town and just got done backing up, rather than going 65 down a highway or something.... I would have lost another belt....

Real basic question though... It's pretty easy to replace the pump myself, right? I was thinking it was....

So yes... Once this is done, I'm one step closer to a brand new Alero, mechanically. haha
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you have air? If so, yes it is pretty simple. But without air tools or a bench vise to remove the pulley from the pump it is tough. This happened to me years ago. From what I remember it wasn't bad once I swapped the pulley. I cant remember if I had the option to get a new pulley and I was too cheap or what. So long story short, if you get one fully assembled super easy job. If you get one like me that needed a pulley and reservoir swapped over if you have air tools it is a mild pain in the ass. Without air tools good luck. You will also need a power steering pulley removal tool. Advance should have one to loan you.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Well I think the pulley already worked it's way off.... It's up against the motor mount.... So I know it's not secure on there anymore... I was hoping it was somewhat like the Water pump... that was an easy fix.... What requires an air tool? The bolts to take the pump off?
Old 08-19-2011, 12:00 AM   #4
SIUlero
GL Member

SIUlero is on a distinguished road
Is there anything wrong with the pump itself? If it's fine, just get a new pulley and the installer tool...have it on and running in 10 minutes.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/CrazyOldsGuy
SIUlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:50 AM   #5
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
That woulda super sucked of you were coming to terre haute today and it happened at the track... That would have been terrible!
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
alerored04
GLS member

What happened to you is the shaft broke. You will need air or a vice to remove the shaft from the pulley.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

ahh Gotcha. I know a few people who might have air tools. I'm just going to go ahead and replace the pump and all... I'm sick of this power steering thing... It's the third time this year it's given me problems...
Old 08-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Yeah I was looking in my Hanes manual about how to replace the PS pump becuase I thought I was going to have to do my 7x crank sensor a few weeks ago (which is under the pump)

The hoses are the issue, really. If you remove the cruise control box, you can get to the 2 bolts that hold the PS on the block thru the pulley holes. The 4 cyl, is a different story

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

I'm probably going to get a new pulley and pump with res. New seals and all. Just to make sure I FIX this thing once and for all... haha I'm going to go take a look at it a little later today. Should hopefully have it fixed on Tuesday.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
alerored04
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Yeah I was looking in my Hanes manual about how to replace the PS pump becuase I thought I was going to have to do my 7x crank sensor a few weeks ago (which is under the pump)

The hoses are the issue, really. If you remove the cruise control box, you can get to the 2 bolts that hold the PS on the block thru the pulley holes. The 4 cyl, is a different story

There should be 3 bolts to access through the pulley holes. Since you are getting a ready to swap PS pump it will be a cinch. Only other thing is the variable effort steering valve if you have it. Not all of them did, my GLS did and I would assume most of that model should. It's easy to do, you just need a very large deep well socket. If your parts place cant figure out if you have this or not post some pics of your old pump and we can help, its pretty obvious.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #11
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Will do. I'll be getting it out this week. Just not doing it today as I've been busy the past couple days with an audio installation at a church. I'm beat today, and very sore... haha

It should be pretty easy... I'm tossing out the old pump and pulley... Just going to replace it all, and be done with it. So most likely I'll assemble as much as I can before installing it, but I'm guessing I can't install the pulley until the pump is installed.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #12
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIUlero View Post
Is there anything wrong with the pump itself? If it's fine, just get a new pulley and the installer tool...have it on and running in 10 minutes.

Judging by the loud pop that I heard, I'm betting that the pump seized or something... It didn't sound god. It was making a lot of squealing noises for the past couple weeks... So I'd feel better if it was just replaced altogether.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #13
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Just got done checking it out more... The pulley is no longer attatched to anything... Looks like it got sheered off somehow.... So I know I need a new pulley. I'm going to go ahead and replace the pump too, just to be safe.

So, part of the pulley is still on, I just need to take the whole thing off together.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Here's what I have going on... Video and photo of the pump...

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...t=MVI_1775.mp4

That red plug on the left side of the picture... It's attached to the pump, so I'm guessing that's what you were talking about that the GLS models have? What do I need to do with that?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #15
SIUlero
GL Member

Your pulley is in two pieces...that part in the middle that has the groove in it is actually part of the pulley and is pressed onto the shaft of the ps pump. When you get a new one you'll see what I mean. From what I see here, there is nothing wrong with your pump. But if you're having other problems, I won't tell you not to replace it.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #16
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

With all the power steering problems I've been having, I'm replacing the pump as well... I'm not taking any chances. Before all this happened, the pump would whine a little during sharp turns... For the last two weeks, there was a squeaking noise coming from the pulley/pump. I don't see how the pulley could just break apart like that without something else being wrong.... So I'm just playing it safe (especially since my wife is prego) and replacing the pump too... The thing's been in there since the car was built.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #17
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
ur better off just replacing the entire pump assembly rather then screw around with the pulley. something could be wrong with the actual pump that cause that pulley to seize and crack like it did.

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:09 PM   #18
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

exactly. And with my wife being prego, I'm not taking that kind of risk... Got the pump off finally...

Here's what it looks like... I'm guessing it does have the variable effort steering. How the hell do you take this off? haha

Old vs. new.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #19
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Figured out that you can't really take that off. So I returned the pump I bought, and got the correct one. Autozone and Advanced Auto do not carry the power steering pump with the EVO. O'Reileys does carry them. They are $116.99 with an $80 core charge (at least that was here). So make sure you take the old pump in first so you don't pay that. After about 2 hours, I got the new pump in, and it's running great!

Only thing is the high pressure line. It's leaking a little bit right where it enters the pump. I think it's in just a tad crooked, so I'll fix it tomorrow morning.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #20
SIUlero
GL Member

You can't really get a threaded fitting a "tad crooked"...it's either straight or it's cross threaded, and it looks straight to me...just put some teflon tape around the threads and it should seal up nicely.