Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 03-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
UPS love'n

Gotta love delivery day.

got me new project.... get'n those beasts in my doors.

anyone got a good idea for how to get a 1" tweeter into our triangle pods?? (i'm thinking take the mesh out and possibly dremel the hole a little bigger if need be)

specs

FEATURES
  • Brushed Stainless Steel Finish Stamped Steel Baskets
  • Woven Glass Fiber/Spruce Pulp Laminate Cones
  • Inverted Polypropylene Dust Caps
  • NBR Rubber Surrounds
  • Black Progressive Conex Spiders
  • 1” Copper Voice Coil on Aluminum Former with Reinforced Neck Joint
  • Nickel Plated Binding Posts
  • Rubber Motor Cover with Logos
  • Vented Pole Pieces
  • 4 Ohm Impedance
  • 1” Teflon/Silk Dome with Resin Coating Tweeters
  • Neodymium Tweeters Magnets
  • Ferrofluid Cooling
  • Multi-Function Mounting Set
  • Passive Crossover with 12dB Low-Pass and Presence Switch for Midbass, 18dB
  • High-Pass with 3-Way Sensitivity Switch for Tweeter, Tweeter Protection Circuit
  • Grills and Mounting Hardware Included

Wiring Kits

Old 03-19-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
YALEROYNOT
GLS member

YALEROYNOT is on a distinguished road
I put 1" tweets in just cut off the clips for the factoy tweets and used a little hot glue. and put them behind the factory mesh. I might cut the hole bigger tho and maybe do a little glassin to them in the future

build it to break it, if it breaks it was not built well enuff !
=OFF ALL NARCOTICS ADDICTION FREE PAIN MANAGEMENT FTMFW ."million of years ago the continents were connected...." THATS FUNNY THE EARTH IS ONLY ABOUT 6000 YEARS OLD AND THEY STILL ARE CONNECTED JACK*@# !!! click here www.chronicpainanonymous.org
YALEROYNOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Get rid of that ugly mesh... Besides the aiming of the tweeter is horrible!

http://caraudiocentral.net/ryan/imag...inbow-sail.jpg

Thats before I finalized it. Grind them open, find the tweeter cup that works the best. Be careful when grinding, take out the least amount of material possible.

Get them aimed correctly. Epoxy in place.

Then take bondo and fill the crack, put a nice fillet in. Sand smooth. Paint flat black or Dollar General Grey Primer (almost exact color match).

Mine are aimed almost right at each other and on a slight downward angle. I get excellent off-axis response and its awesome. Most look at it and dont understand...
Old 03-20-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
its kinda hard to see, but the tweets have like a 1/4" lip around the edge of them (whats holding them in place in the box) then taper down.

so if i mounted them like yours, i'd be a big silver edge on the outside of the "sail" which, i think would look a little goofy given that its a black pod....

unless i grind that edge off, which i'd really like to NOT do.

maybe grind the inside of the "sail" so it fits w/ that edge?
Old 03-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
cherrington17
Gone

Just a size comparison... i think some fabrication is in my future...

good thing i saved that link to the fiberglassing forum.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
Old 03-20-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Paint the outer edge to match the middle mesh of the tweeter or the pod. I would set it on the pod and mark around it to get what you need to dremel out. I don't see it being to much of a problem cherry you just have to come up with a way to to secure it in there. I would cut it out slightly smaller then the tweeter and press it firmly in there. I think that would be plenty to keep it in there, and I seriously doubt that we have that much going on around that pod to cause it to fall out. You have sparked my interest thought in seeing how this turns out. What size are the speakers 5.25 or 6.5's?
Old 03-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
How much was that speaker system? If you don't mind me asking.

...Almost forgot....Do you have a seperate amp for the front speakers and what are your ideas of mounting..or better yet where to mount it. I was think of in the rear, but the thought of running all that wire made me contiplate the issue a little more.

Last edited by lonnie : 03-20-2008 at 02:47 PM.
lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #9
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Thats no bigger than the CAL 25 Tweeter in my pictures

Dremel it out and epoxy in place.

Is there any other tweeters mounts or is that the only one? It has a flange around the outside which will greatly limit your install possibilities and quite honestly make it look like dung.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
How much was that speaker system? If you don't mind me asking.

...Almost forgot....Do you have a seperate amp for the front speakers and what are your ideas of mounting..or better yet where to mount it. I was think of in the rear, but the thought of running all that wire made me contiplate the issue a little more.
i paid $137 for the whole thing shipped. I have a 400W 4 channel amp i'm gonna use. one channel for each door, and the other two will be my rears... just cuz. I also just got some adapters from ebay, for the 4x6-6.5" adaption. (so, yes, they are 6.5"s) depth might be an issue, so i might have to make a small wood standoff so the magnet doesn't hit the window.... but it shouldn't be too much of a hassel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
Is there any other tweeters mounts or is that the only one? It has a flange around the outside which will greatly limit your install possibilities and quite honestly make it look like dung.
Good to know its not bigger. and that isn't the mount, thats just the casing around it. the mount is still in the box, and appears to fit up around the base, to that outer lip. its defintely poor design, but i don't think these are meant for the install i'm using them for.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #11
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Hmm, interesting. Im guessing thats still the flush mount. Simply due to the fact you cant easily get to the solder connection.

Just take a look at my picture I posted. Dremel tool with sanding drum and lots of patience.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #12
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

I'm really not feeling the glueing thing everbody seems to do. What if you want to do something else or change the tweet or have to replace it. Epoxy and glue just seems to permanent to me..at least enough to cause a major problem if you have to take one out for something. That lip could be a good thing..so you don't have to get it exactly clean if you don't want. Cant wait to see more pics and solutions to some of the issues that may arise.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:44 AM   #13
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Epoxy if done right will provide good hold but it will chip off if need be.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #14
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Where are the updates Cherry? Have you started? Is it done? Did you lose a nut, arm leg, lol something?
Old 03-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #15
cherrington17
Gone

haven't started. school/work are getting in the way, not to mention its really cold. (anything under 40 and my hands will go numb w/in minutes) so this project will be about a month away.... sorry.

i'll DEFINITELY post results though. (and i just got my adapters in, so i can mount the 6.5s in the 4x6 hole)
Old 03-25-2008, 03:03 PM   #16
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
haven't started. school/work are getting in the way, not to mention its really cold. (anything under 40 and my hands will go numb w/in minutes) so this project will be about a month away.... sorry.

i'll DEFINITELY post results though. (and i just got my adapters in, so i can mount the 6.5s in the 4x6 hole)
I understand just checking and when you get a chance I would love to see what those adaptors look like.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #17
cherrington17
Gone

http://cgi.ebay.com/4x6-to-6-5-6-Spe...31 0033668466

exact ones i got.

i was expecting plastic.. but they are like pseudo plastic stuff. (they say pvc) it looks like its really easy to work with, but i will have to take a dremel to it. the baskets on these beasts are a little bigger on the inside then the adapter has room for.

but they look like they will stand out far enough so i won't have magnet vs window issues.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:14 PM   #18
cherrington17
Gone

the biggest part of the project, is figuring out how/where to mount my amps. i'm not sure if i want to mount them backwards on an angle out from the sub box i have (so they are hidden, and the trunk looks just small and empty) or if i want to make a small rack above my subs to hold them...

i'm pretty sure i have everything i need to finish the job at this point, except for wood, but that'll be this weekend. then its just a matter of time. maybe my dad will help and i'll have it done on this weekend....
Old 03-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #19
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
the biggest part of the project, is figuring out how/where to mount my amps. i'm not sure if i want to mount them backwards on an angle out from the sub box i have (so they are hidden, and the trunk looks just small and empty) or if i want to make a small rack above my subs to hold them...

i'm pretty sure i have everything i need to finish the job at this point, except for wood, but that'll be this weekend. then its just a matter of time. maybe my dad will help and i'll have it done on this weekend....
What about what Ryan did? He has a wall that fills the opening of the trunk and has his amps mounted to it. From the back I'm pretty sure it looks like nothing is back there, and thats what I'm looking to do. All and all I'll have 3amps and 1cross over squeezed back there. The problem is I still use my trunk and I know I'll need that spare in the future so I don't want to have to go throught the bull crap of taking out some elaborate box.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #20
cherrington17
Gone

i would... but i'm just not a fan of having an amp wall... i'll have to get some cheap mdf, and take a look... see which i like better.