Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 11-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
number1alero
GL Member

number1alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Need a new engine for the DD

The current 2.2L in the car is on its last leg...so im looking to get a longblock to swap, ive searched but can find only performance related subjects...looking to just keep it as my DD, nothing more...unless i can find a good deal on a s/c then might consider that

note: considered rebuilding...but with the car having 120k miles on it, and having driven it pretty hard, just dont want to fool with the time, unless someone knows where i can source parts for a complete rebuild at a significant discount over a new longblock, and its needing pretty much everything, as it had the timing chain go bad a couple years ago and now the timing chain cover leaks oil, from a bad gasket seal or ?? havent had it checked as its run fine, sadly i know thats not good maintenance but with a busy schedule it just hasnt permitted other then just feeding it a little oil over time

anyone know of a good company to buy a longblock from...or if current models such as the solstice 2.4L ecotec would fit direct swap (of course knowing i would need the ecu)...

suggestions/recommendations on companies welcomed...thanks!

Last edited by number1alero : 11-13-2010 at 09:58 PM.
number1alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
number1alero
GL Member

also just found this browsing....opinions for a good direct swap?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_2049wt_1008
Old 11-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
it'll bolt up, but you'll need to get the engine harness because of the vvt and to get it running you'll have to get a way to bypass the passlock because of those pcm doesn't use the same serial data than the stock alero one....So I don't suggest getting into this unless you're very mechanically inclined...
just get a used ecotec from an alero, grand-am, cavalier or sunfire.. those are really bolt on....

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Just get a motor from a junkyard, it will be a lot cheaper....
Old 11-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
number1alero
GL Member

yea the work isnt a problem...i have a mustang cobra as my weekend fun car so this will be easy compared to work on that thing.... i had a feeling the passlock would be an issue
Old 11-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
number1alero
GL Member

id rather not get a motor out of the junkyard...for the prices ive seen, i have a feeling a brand new long block wont be much more (prices for 40-70k motors are well above $500)
Old 11-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

I say go for it if you want to be unique.... but i think that not only the pass lock will be the problem to get the car starting your pcm has to ''see'' the other computers in the car if he doesn't see one or see a bad signal.. the security light will flash and prevent the car from starting by cutting the fuel pump and fire... but if you can found a way to get it working i say do it... I like the originality, that's why I did my swap

www.demonautosport.ca
Old 11-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
number1alero
GL Member

yea as much as id like to, since its more then just a direct swap its outta the consideration...since ill be doing this over xmas break haha.. thanks for the help on that
Old 11-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
number1alero
GL Member

as reference, this is about all i can find, hence why im looking to see if someone might have a good alternative source...might seem stupid to some people but i figure put a brand new engine in it and it will get me another 5-7 years easily, a lot cheaper then going out and buying a new car

http://www.karlperformanceparts.com/...?idproduct=118
Old 11-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
just search here..... www.car-part.com you'll find plenty for cheaper prices, on good quality motors. If you are still worried make sure you get one with a warranty from the junkyard. Then you will know you are safe if the motor sucks. (most reputable junkyards will refund anyways even without a warranty) I have bought and installed close to a dozen junkyard motors. I don't know why people always think junkyard motors are crap.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
number1alero
GL Member

i guess this was the wrong place to ask...how many times do i have to repeat I DO NOT WANT a used motor....the goal here is to put a new motor in the car so it will last at least another 7 years like this one has. if i wanted a junkyard motor i wouldnt have even bothered asking for advice/help on finding the parts, ive got a junkyard that has them just a few miles from where i live
Old 11-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1alero View Post
id rather not get a motor out of the junkyard...for the prices ive seen, i have a feeling a brand new long block wont be much more (prices for 40-70k motors are well above $500)

Quote:
i guess this was the wrong place to ask...how many times do i have to repeat I DO NOT WANT a used motor....

if you plan on BUILDING an engine from the block up your going to spend A LOT more than $500...if your worried about money it would be wise to get a junkyard engine and THEN get a block to build up..
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #13
number1alero
GL Member

ugh can someone just delete the thread...and delete the account?
Old 11-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #14
kwhauck
2Screwy

We are just trying to help. I have searched and cannot find a long block for much cheaper than a several grand. Good luck with your search!!!
Old 11-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #15
Vic28
GL Member

Vic28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Vic28
failed.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:56 PM   #16
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
ugh can someone just delete the thread...and delete the account?

I lol'ed....

www.demonautosport.ca
Old 11-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #17
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Just rebuild your engine.... whatever is wrong with it is most likely fixable.. You can probably have it rebuilt to factory specs for a grand.. if you do it yourself much less.
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #18
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
HE DOESN'T WANT A USED ENGINE!!!! lol.....
Old 11-15-2010, 10:10 PM   #19
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Not even his own?

In for the part out..
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #20
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

I second the part-out, even thought I probably wont buy anything unless its maroon GA dual post mirrors or a fuel door.. lets get this rollin