Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 05-15-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
Sinatra
The Hiphopopotamus

Sinatra is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Sinatra
http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Scre...gory_Code=ALEXH

Do you get as much power as this things says you will. Does it damage anything? If a cop looks under your car can you get a ticket?

So many quesions
Sinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
acold7dusta

it is illegal in almost all states, if it is wide open (be like straight pipes) you would probably gain a little power with it open, but it would sound like azz and backfire every time u let off. also the cop would only look under ur car if u passed by him and it was loud as f causin a huge ruckus, thus writing you a ticket. but if you use it for track use like it was intended ull be 80% safe (Inspection will get ya)
Old 05-15-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I spoke to these guys at Englishtown a few years ago.

They said that this would only gain a little bit on an Alero with the 3400 motor, and the best place to put it is after the cat.

It works well on a Turbo car like the WRX, or high horsepower cars like the WS6 Trans-Am or Corvette.

Illegal, yes but only if opened. But a cop would def hear it opened and stop you and give you a hell of a ticket. I would only say go for it if you were a track guru

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:48 PM   #4
blackdog
GL Member

blackdog is an unknown quantity at this point
I was looking at doing this to my car but I am installing a turbo but for the avg Alero it will only add 4 maybe 5 HP? Spending 250.00 for a small gain like that sounds a bit dumb and from what I understand it won't damage your car but it will sound like poop when its open.

I don't think the inspection guys are going to bug you much with it as long as it is installed and wired right but if it is a big concern just make friends with a state inspector its not hard.

Car Part out: http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...478#post345478
eBay Auctions: http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZa27283

Cars: 2006 Toyota Matrix, 2008 Dodge Caliber SRT4
blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:52 AM   #5
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
This will LOSE power on an alero. You're car needs backpressure to operate properly. This would be a little useful for a turbo alero though, as the turbo provides the required backpressure already.
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:49 AM   #6
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928

The whole "you need backpressure" thing is a myth.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_product/...etorquemyth.htm

My 3400 runs just fine and has for 3? years with an EXTREMELY free flowing exhaust. So did my old non-turbo Volvo.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:58 AM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
If you really want one, save money

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 05-16-2006, 09:18 AM   #8
Coupe

Wow so much wrong info in this thread its amazing.

No it is not illegal, dont know why anyone would think it was.
No you dont need back pressure, thats an old hot rodders MYTH.
No it will not hurt your vehicle, it wont hurt a thing, dont know why anyone would think it could possibly hurt anything.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #9
blackdog
GL Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Coupe@May 16 2006, 08:18 AM
Wow so much wrong info in this thread its amazing.

No it is not illegal, dont know why anyone would think it was.

Because its the LAW.

As found in the General Mortor Laws for Louisiana:

Title 32 RS 32.353

Modification of exhaust systems

No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle, above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle and the original muffler shall comply with all of the requirements of R.S. 32:352.

Acts 1962, No. 310, ยง1.

If the cutout is closed they are ok to run on the streets but if its open you will get a very heavy fine.

A simple link to the GML for Louisiana:
http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?folder=22

Old 05-16-2006, 10:46 AM   #10
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Exactly what I said, only useful if your always racing at the track. Can't do it on the street

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 05-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #11
Coupe

From what you guys are saying then any aftermarket exhuast is illegal.
So redog, incase you didnt know, your exhuast is illegal.

Thats the louisiana law, which is the first ive seen that a state makes it illegal to modify exhuast systems. So tell me, do ALL the cars there have stock exhuast? I have a feeling your answer is gonna be no.

This pretty much makes your vehicle have straight pipes, which is not illegal.
This is not illegal in my state or many states at all, lousiana just sucks.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:38 AM   #12
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Quote:
Originally posted by Coupe@May 16 2006, 10:12 AM

I never say that aftermarket exhaust is illegal, but useing a cutout or running a striaght pipe instead of a cat and/or muffler is illegal, for street use

Most exhaust systems are either 49 or 50 state legal, that one state being CA. I'm going to be putting that Jeg's cutout on my Delta, but on the street it will stay closed, at the track, 3 wing nuts, and gain a little bit of performance

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 05-16-2006, 11:42 AM   #13
kaularo88

i know that it is not legal in michigan, but my brother got one for his car, he did a good job of hiding them under a heat shield so the average eye wouldent see it. they give you a little hp, and they are loud as hell, very cool.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:55 AM   #14
Wayfastwhittie

Where I live loud exhaust is ok only if you are not he the gas all the time. I know a guy who had a 98 Z71 with straight pipes and he never got a ticket and it was loud as hell he also took out he cat I've seen cops follow and he never even got a warning. I have seen thoes cut outs on the T.V. show TRUCKS they are cool as hell but i dont think that there would be much of a power increase at all 4hp at least
Old 05-16-2006, 12:08 PM   #15
blackdog
GL Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Coupe@May 16 2006, 10:12 AM
Thats the louisiana law, which is the first ive seen that a state makes it illegal to modify exhuast systems. So tell me, do ALL the cars there have stock exhuast? I have a feeling your answer is gonna be no.

well that law was made back in the 60's so its been around for along time. As well as the other states the law stays the same no matter where you go. having said that the police really don't bother with it unless they are looking for a reason to pull a car over and you can be fined for it. I have been pulled over before for decals on my windows all the way to how low my car sits but I have never been given a ticket just warnings.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:34 PM   #16
Sinatra
The Hiphopopotamus

^ yes it is an old law. Come on now its louisiana, everyone has a giant truck with straight pipes. I know in most states they can give you a ticket for a CAI. If they see you street racing they can look under your hood and give you tickets for mods. Its all against the law. the reason for that is because when a car comes right out of the factory it can pass all inspections and is as safe as the company can make it, when you mod you are possibly not able to pass inspections and lower the safty of the car.

But all that crap is stupid. I've never known anyone to get tickets for that and probibly never will. Cops today have a lot more to worry about then street racers.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:51 PM   #17
Coupe

Quote:
Originally posted by kaularo88@May 16 2006, 03:42 PM
i know that it is not legal in michigan, but my brother got one for his car, he did a good job of hiding them under a heat shield so the average eye wouldent see it. they give you a little hp, and they are loud as hell, very cool.

Its totaly legal in michigan. You have to prove me wrong on that one for sure. I checked into it before i cut my mufflers off my GMC which is the same difference as having a cutout.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #18
Coupe

Quote:
Originally posted by Redog+May 16 2006, 03:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Redog @ May 16 2006, 03:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Coupe@May 16 2006, 10:12 AM

I never say that aftermarket exhaust is illegal, but useing a cutout or running a striaght pipe instead of a cat and/or muffler is illegal, for street use

Most exhaust systems are either 49 or 50 state legal, that one state being CA. I'm going to be putting that Jeg's cutout on my Delta, but on the street it will stay closed, at the track, 3 wing nuts, and gain a little bit of performance
[/b][/quote]

Your not supposed to replace the cat with a cutout, i think thats where your confused. Its just to bypass the muffler and the muffler is not a requirement of the federal law, the muffler does not have anything to do with emissions either. That is why almost every state i know of has no law against not having a muffler.

According to luosiana any aftermarket exhaust is ILLEGAL. So all exhuast systems are illegal in CA and Lousiana.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #19
Sinatra
The Hiphopopotamus

Quote:
Originally posted by Coupe+May 16 2006, 12:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Coupe @ May 16 2006, 12:59 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Redog@May 16 2006, 03:38 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Coupe
Quote:
@May 16 2006, 10:12 AM

Your not supposed to replace the cat with a cutout, i think thats where your confused. Its just to bypass the muffler and the muffler is not a requirement of the federal law, the muffler does not have anything to do with emissions either. That is why almost every state i know of has no law against not having a muffler.

According to luosiana any aftermarket exhaust is ILLEGAL. So all exhuast systems are illegal in CA and Lousiana.
[/b][/quote]

MCL 257.707c provides the decibel levels at which the noise is considered excessive, while 257.707e addresses the procedure for conducting a test. It is important to note that while these objective levels are provided, a vehicle below these levels may still be in violation. MCL 257.707b requires an exhaust system to be maintained in good working order to prevent excessive or unusual noise, which can be subjective. MCL 257.707 requires that an exhaust system be equipped with a muffler, and a resonator and tailpipe, if originally equipped. This precludes the modification of an exhaust system beyond the replacement of worn-out parts.

An exhaust without a muffler is illegal in michigan.

Almost every state does have a law against not having a muffler.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:11 PM   #20
Sinatra
The Hiphopopotamus

MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949

257.707 Muffler, engine, power mechanism, and exhaust system; requirements; prohibitions.

Sec. 707.

(1) A motor vehicle, including a motorcycle or moped, shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and annoying smoke. A person shall not remove, destroy, or damage any of the baffles contained in the muffler, nor shall a person use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device upon a motorcycle or moped on a highway or street.

(2) The engine and power mechanism of a motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

(3) A motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a properly operating exhaust system which shall include a tailpipe and resonator on a vehicle where the original design included a tailpipe and resonator.