Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 11-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
bigdaddyD
GL Member

bigdaddyD is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bigdaddyD
heating issue

im not sure if this is a common issue for the alero or if some thing is actualy wrong, but whats happening is after awhile of having the heater on my head unit gets realy hot, line burning hot. infact the entire center console gets realy hot even the controls for the temp gets realy hot. is this a common issue that gm didnt fix or is it some thing else? is there anything that can be done to fix it for cheap or is it going to cost me an arm and a leg?

Cardomain
GM Tunerz.com
bigdaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:15 AM   #2
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
Almost sounds like you got a loose connection in your vent piping??
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
deathwish666
GL Member

deathwish666 is on a distinguished road
your in hell

...but really it sounds like you might have a hole in the ducts...but idk why everything would get that extremely hot
coming soon: some led's, better subs
deathwish666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:06 AM   #4
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
lawlz your car hates u
Old 11-03-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
surreal_awakening
GL Member

surreal_awakening is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to surreal_awakening
The main outlet for the HVAC is dead center of the dash, directly behind the radio. The main duct line is held in place with two "nuts" that screw onto plastic stems, and 2 push-in christmas tree type retainers. There is a strip of foam that goes between the HVAC module and the duct, but I've noticed having mine apart that (a) the foam comes loose with age and (b) sometimes the duct work just doesn't seat right. In retrospect I think this was probably my issue with water dripping into the radio when I run the A/C. The dealer told me it was condensation dripping off the duct where it routes over the radio, but my guess now is that it was actually blowing the air directly into the radio causing it to sweat. You may be able to see it by removing the radio, but I'm not positive. Fixing it would require removing the dash shell and sealing it up. When I put mine back together, I wrapped some duct wrap insulation and foil tape around the joint.
surreal_awakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
bigdaddyD
GL Member

bigdaddyD is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bigdaddyD
did that seem to help reduce the heat off of the radio, im just affraid its going to heat up so much that it melts a cd in the player.

Cardomain
GM Tunerz.com
bigdaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
Alerosaint
Gone but not forgotten

Alerosaint is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Alerosaint Send a message via Yahoo to Alerosaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyD View Post
im not sure if this is a common issue for the alero or if some thing is actualy wrong, but whats happening is after awhile of having the heater on my head unit gets realy hot, line burning hot. infact the entire center console gets realy hot even the controls for the temp gets realy hot. is this a common issue that gm didnt fix or is it some thing else? is there anything that can be done to fix it for cheap or is it going to cost me an arm and a leg?

my radio over heat a couple of time while running heat in my car...after turning off the heat and letting it cool down it work fine...my new head unit dont get bothered by it though...but it did only happen during long rides