Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 04-10-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
mfuller

Now that my wife has her new car (05 Mazda 3 5-door in Sunlight Silver), I can drive her old car and begin tearing mine apart. So I dove into it last night. Removed the airbox, MAF, ignition wires, coils, TB, UIM, drained the coolant, moved the PS pump, and pulled the fuel rail from the LIM. Hopefully today I can get the fuel rail disconnected from the supply and return lines, remove the FPR from the rail, remove the LIM, headers, and cylinder heads.

I just gotta keep telling myself it'll all be worth it.

What's in store? Well, the plan was originally just to replace a leaky LIM gasket, but then I starting buying stuff. Most have probably seen pics of the cylinder heads I had done, there is also a new ported LIM to go along with it, I'm expecting a Casper's AFPR soon (mostly because the stocker is an eyesore), I'm sending the fuel injectors out to be cleaned and flow-balanced, I'll send the headers off to be blasted and re-coated (3 northern IL winters have caused a bit of corrosion), new plugs (Rapidfire #14's), new ignition cables, new O2 sensor, and a new fuel filter.

BTW, all the new gaskets are Fel-Pro, along with a new set of head bolts.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:08 AM   #2
tenny

al this started with a leaky gasket? lol
Old 04-10-2005, 11:13 AM   #3
Alerosince99

Sounds like fun. Can you pm me some pics of the heads you had done, and any flow numbers if you have em?
Old 04-10-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Sounds like a lot of work. Good luck.

:grin: Does this mean I could possiblly have the fastest N/A Alero on the board, until you get yours done? :grin:

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 05:11 PM   #5
mfuller

Well, I've hit a road block - but not an impossible one to get around. I have everything disassembled except for the cylinder heads. I don't have air tools, so it was all good old muscle power. Anyway, I got one head bolt out before I snapped a socket. So I'm off to Sears to buy an impact socket and the biggest 1/2" breaker bar I can find. That shouldn't break.

On another note, I now have the utmost respect for anyone who has installed V6 headers on their own. I didn't install mine 3 years ago (I paid to have my mechanic do it), but they are complete and royal pain. Actually, maybe I should rephrase - the crossover bolts are a nightmare; the rest isn't so bad. I had very little trouble with the downpipe bolts, and the nuts that attach the headers to the cylinder heads aren't to bad if you can just figure out how to get a wrench on them. Anyway, if you have installed yuour own headers, I salute you - you're as crazy as I am.

I'll snap a few pictures later. And Ken...maybe only if I have the wife drive.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:42 AM   #6
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
I bet the guy who installed your headers had a lift and did it from the bottom not the top. The n-bods seem to like to be accessed from below.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:29 PM   #7
Blackrider

Good stuff mfuller. My heads are sitting right next to me right now lol. they are getting an LS1 spring swap and the chambers polished. This all started because of leakey valve seals. lol

See pics here
http://www.jordierobb.com/GA%20Pics/Head%2...k%20April%2005/
Old 04-16-2005, 10:47 AM   #8
mfuller

A pic of the mostly-empty engine bay....

Mostly valvetrain parts...

old LIM, fuel rail, alternator, alternator/PS pump bracket, front cylinder head...

New cylinder head (sorry, no flow numbers)...

And finally, the pregnant (!!!) wife's new car.

Old 04-16-2005, 03:04 PM   #9
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
looks like you are having as much fun as i did. good luck, matt

also congrats to you and your wife.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:51 PM   #10
Blackrider

Owww I remeber when my heads looked that good when i first got them Done!! Mine will have nice new Stainless Steal valves in them shortly

The new LS1 Shims
Old 04-18-2005, 12:36 AM   #11
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Ha, only 2 valves per cyl! and push rods. haha.

looks good matt

and congrat to you and your wife on the future little one
Old 04-18-2005, 01:57 AM   #12
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
sigh i need a second car -_- so i could do what you guys are doing.

anyways hey mfuller, did you have any trouble in removing the LIM bolts. i had so much trouble removing this one bolt that was nect to the power steering resivoir, you know the one in the south west corner.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:38 AM   #13
mfuller

Quote:
Originally posted by -Alero-@Apr 17 2005, 11:57 PM

anyways hey mfuller, did you have any trouble in removing the LIM bolts. i had so much trouble removing this one bolt that was nect to the power steering resivoir, you know the one in the south west corner.
The corner LIM bolts are just a pain to get to. I ende up using a tiny 1/4" drive ratchet and 14mm (I think) socket to remove them. I am told thet if you have a flex extention those help to. But I did have to move the PS pump aside befoe I could get to that particular bolt.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:04 AM   #14
Blackrider

Quote:
Originally posted by mfuller+Apr 18 2005, 11:38 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mfuller @ Apr 18 2005, 11:38 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin--Alero-@Apr 17 2005, 11:57 PM

The corner LIM bolts are just a pain to get to. I ende up using a tiny 1/4" drive ratchet and 14mm (I think) socket to remove them. I am told thet if you have a flex extention those help to. But I did have to move the PS pump aside befoe I could get to that particular bolt.
[/b][/quote]
Yes they are but make sure to get the most accurate torque possible on them. Also with your ported heads you might want to do a little triming to the gasket itself. i know i had a few spots of overlap that i trimed away.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:30 AM   #15
germ

should have been a 10mm for the LIM bolts and a ratcheting wrench owns those bolts. makes it super easy.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:43 PM   #16
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
Lookin good.

I dig the wifes car too.
smokinAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:58 PM   #17
Alerosince99

Are you gonna be ready by cookout?
Old 04-19-2005, 09:05 PM   #18
mfuller

Quote:
Originally posted by Alerosince99@Apr 19 2005, 05:58 PM
Are you gonna be ready by cookout?
Not a chance. I just sent my headers out to be re-coated today, and it'll probably be 4 weeks before I get them back. Should be ready for ASS (I hope).
Old 04-24-2005, 03:53 AM   #19
Blackrider

New SI SS Valves came in today
Old 04-24-2005, 09:46 AM   #20
mfuller

Valves look really nice, Jordie. I thought about them breifly, but the dollar-to-potential gain ratio just wasn't there for me.
Those valves are from SI's "Portflow" series right? I bet they're a bit ligther then the stockers....