Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Passlock II disable switch

Has anyone tried or heard of this, and verified it to be true? I was just searching for some info on this and happened across this. Any advice would be helpful. The link below is the pdf from gm on trucks and below is what someone wrote about cars.....No difference imo.

http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/bull/bull26.pdf

Here is the procedure to follow for cars:

PASSLOCK I or II DISABLEMENT

The following is a procedure to disable Passlock I or II Systems for vehicles in which remote start/stop system installations are required. This procedure is required because a remote start system will not function with the current Theft Deterrent System (Passlock) which is included on many 1996 and up GM vehicles.

Please note that this modification is intended to be used only in conjunction with the installation of a remote start/stop system and does not provide a procedure to install a remote start/stop system.

CAUSE
If an attempt is made to start a vehicle by a means other than a key rotation in the ignition switch, the Body Control Module (BCM) will interpret this start as a vehicle theft and disable the fuel injectors.

CORRECTION
A minor wiring modification may be made to allow the vehicle to be started remotely. This modification includes adding a switch to allow the customer to select “ON” to disable Passlock or “OFF” for normal Passlock operation.
CAUTION: When this modification is performed and the switch is set to the ON position, the theft deterrent feature will be disabled. When the theft
deterrent is disabled the SECURITY or THEFT telltale will light up indicating that the theft deterrent system is NOT functioning.

PASSLOCK MODIFICATION
Refer to appropriate GM service manuals and/or SVMQP Electrical Guideline Manual for instruction on splicing and electrical connections.
1. Select a suitable on-off switch (see note below) which will be used to disable/
enable the Passlock System. Mount the switch in a location such that it is
accessible to the driver and will not interfere with normal vehicle operation.
NOTE: This is an extremely low current circuit (approx. 7mA), it is therefore very important that a high quality, low energy, fast acting switch be utilized
for this application.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
3. Locate the Main Ignition Switch Harness in the Column. GM's Passlock System wires exit the Ignition Switch Tumbler together and then join with the Main Ignition Switch Harness. (See http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/ or http://64.85.6.118/diagrams/diagrams.asp and select your Make, Model and Year for wire colors and clues on the quickest way to access these wires.)
4. Locate the Yellow Passlock Data Wire which is included in a bundle of three tiny (20 GA) wires wrapped in friction tape.
Cut this wire and splice a 0.5mm2 (20 GA) yellow wire to each end of the cut wire.
Keep wire length to a minimum. Route modification wires clear of moving parts.
Connect the yellow wires to the switch such that the contacts are OPEN when the switch is in the ON position.
5. Turn modification switch to the OFF postion (contacts closed).
6. Start vehicle to verify normal operation. If engine “cranks but will not start"
recheck the switch position (contacts should be closed), wire connectors and
modification wiring.

SWITCH OPERATION

To enable remote start:
Start the engine with the ignition key (modification switch must be in the OFF
position). Turn modification switch to the ON position (contacts open). The
SECURITY or THEFT telltale will light up indicating that the Passlock System is inoperative.
Once the SECURITY or THEFT telltale has been on for at least 5 seconds the vehicle can be turned off and then remotely started.

To disable remote start:
The Passlock System can be reactivated by turning the modification switch OFF
(contacts closed).
Vehicle can either be running or off when this is done.

Please note that the VCM/PCM will record Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) related to the security system when the modification switch is in the ON position (circuit open). This is due to the way that the VCM/PCM interprets this condition.

NOTICE
Any condition which removes battery power from the Vehicle Control Module/Powertrain Control Module (VCM/PCM) (e.g. dead battery, disconnected harness connectors, etc.) will prevent the vehicle from being restarted. If the engine exhibits a “cranks but will not start” symptom, place the modification switch in the OFF (contacts closed) position. This will reactivate the Passlock System and allow the vehicle to be started with the ignition key.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
It would probably work, but why would you want to disable it?
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
To allow the car to be remote started.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
or if you are stuck every third week or so waiting 10 minutes casue the stupid system thinks you are stealing your own car...
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
To allow the car to be remote started.

o your using the module they make then. i thought you were modifying the actual system for some reason.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:15 AM   #6
freakout
V.I.P. Member

freakout is an unknown quantity at this point
My ignition is cooked. You can pull the keys out while it's turned. I use the remote starter to start the car. Sucks when you forget and turn the key. The remote starter had a module you bought to bypass the Passlock

What a great damn day, I can walk!
freakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:43 AM   #7
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson_waltz View Post
It would probably work, but why would you want to disable it?

Also because some of us do engine/computer/harness swaps which then makes it incompatible with the security in the BCM, meaning the computers dont recognize each other and disables the ability to start the car. This seems like it would also allow for easier swaps.

Example: I've swapped in a 4t65 transmission from a GTP. In order for the computer to control the entire drive train correctly, I've had to swap in a computer from a car that has the 3400/4t65 combination (2003 Impala). The Alero's BCM calls bullshit and wont start the car, so a bypass mechanism has to be devised.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:24 AM   #8
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

With this modification as it reads you will be able to disable the Passlock II say at night when you want to remote start your car in the morning. Then when you are driving you can just flip the switch and turn it back on. Once I add my remote starter, I will only be remote starting it in the morning, and no other time so this will work great for me. Best of all I won't have to buy a 80.00 dollar bypass module or make one with the relays.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:29 AM   #9
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson_waltz View Post
o your using the module they make then. i thought you were modifying the actual system for some reason.
No Jay I would be using a BOA remote starter, and this mod will allow me to get around having to BUY a Bypass module. With the security disabled it will allow me to start the car without the key being in the ignition. That's all the Bypass module does is send the correct resistance code (R-code) to the BCM to fool it into thinking the key is in the ignition. I'm going to try it this weekend and if all else fails I can just put everything back the way it was.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:31 AM   #10
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakout View Post
My ignition is cooked. You can pull the keys out while it's turned. I use the remote starter to start the car. Sucks when you forget and turn the key. The remote starter had a module you bought to bypass the Passlock
Yeah I looked on a few sites and saw that to replace the ignition cylinder was like 300 bucks. Hopefully with this mod I won't need to get that module. We'll see
Old 11-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #11
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Ok people pay attention. I have completed my remote start installation using the bypass method above, and I must say that it works like a charm. There is no need to use a 555L module to use remote start...with that said this is for a 2000 olds alero 2.4L 4door..I can not say that it works for any other vehicle as how I have not installed one on any other vehicle but this one. Very simple to do and easier to operate. If anyone has any questions just leave them in here and I will reply as soon as I can