Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
Advice on new engine

Well, the time has come. The engine is only slowly getting worse and worse as the miles go on. It now knocks when its warm and when its cold it sounds like a diesel. Long story short I am going to go ahead and get the ball rolling on a new engine. Few questions, for the skimmers, I bolded the important questions.

1. Where should I buy a engine from? I plan on getting a long block (block and heads) and using the accessories and manifolds off of my current engine. Is the best route to go to get a used motor?

2. I will be taking it to a machine shop and having them rebuild the bottom end with Clevette 77 bearings. While they have it, and if the shop will do it, I will have them do the 2.3 oil pump swap. What are other basic things that I should have the machine shop to do to make sure the block and heads are in good condition?

3. Are there any other modifications to the block and/or head that should be done while they have it?

4. Would it be worth it to get aftermarket, forged rods and pistions while its being rebuilt too?

5. IF I do go with forged rods and pistons, would I see any benefit to bumping the compression up to 10:1? Down the road I would like to slap the GM Supercharger and a good tune. I also have a set of secret cams that will go in the new engine as well.

I know NONE of this will be cheap. I would not be surprised if I spend $2k on it before its all done. Thanks in advance, Im sure I'll have more questions too

6. Also, what head gasket should I go with? I want to never have to crack this engine open ever again pretty much.

Last edited by Philbar71 : 03-19-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Philbar71 is offline   Reply With Quote