Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 10-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
TdotAlero
GL Member

TdotAlero is on a distinguished road
Engine light...wierd

Hey, I have recently fixed (almost) everything in my Alero. Out of 5 warning lights on the dash, I had only the service engine light. Anyway somewhere, someone told me it was the gas cap that was causing the light to go on. Anyway so I picked up a gas cap from a junk yard (what looked like a better condition cap than mine at least) and replaced it. The light was still on so I though eff it, I don't have time now. About 4 days ago my battery has died overnight and after boosting the car the engine light was gone. I though whatever it will be back in 5 minutes like always when battery dies. It didn't come back on. I drove to work and back (80kms). Next day same story, no light. After work though I start the can and the light is back on.... afte a day and a half and making 150kms, the light comes back on. I checked the gas cap and figured that was not the problem. I guess it couldn't be faulty sensors cause the light wouldn't take so long to come back on.... I'm out of ideas.. what can cause it to come back on after such long time ? Thanks..
TdotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Gotta get it scaned.

If they scaned it and it was the gas cap, it's code P0442

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
and the code is?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
TdotAlero
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Gotta get it scaned.

If they scaned it and it was the gas cap, it's code P0442
Tbh I don't remember the code name. I work in a car shop but we don't have a computer to scan cars. I will (hopefully) go to neighbours tomorrow and check it out. What got me thinking is why would it come back after driving for 150kms..
Old 10-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotAlero View Post
Tbh I don't remember the code name. I work in a car shop but we don't have a computer to scan cars. I will (hopefully) go to neighbours tomorrow and check it out. What got me thinking is why would it come back after driving for 150kms..

EVAP, BBEVAP, something stupid and useless
Old 10-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
TdotAlero
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
EVAP, BBEVAP, something stupid and useless
I think more likely evap. I wouldn't care much about it, but I am planning to sell the car in spring next year, and customers liek to nag about warning lights
Old 10-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

why does everyone want to sell their alero's !?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
TdotAlero
GL Member

Quote:
The reason I "want" to sell the Alero is I want to upgrade to a coupe with manual transmission and lower mileage.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotAlero View Post
The reason I "want" to sell the Alero is I want to upgrade to a coupe with manual transmission and lower mileage.

another alero?

good man.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
smokey
GX Member

smokey is on a distinguished road
Quote:

because the V6s are nothing but trouble, i wish i had the manual coupe
smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:53 AM   #11
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
when the light was going off and on did you fill the has tank between that?

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
because the V6s are nothing but trouble, i wish i had the manual coupe
yes the 3400s have a lot of problems but when u fix them the engine is fine.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #13
TdotAlero
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vella's Alero View Post
when the light was going off and on did you fill the has tank between that?
I have, using the same grade gasoline, however I filled it up about 50kms before the light went on.

And the V6 motors are good motors as long as you do basic maintenance..
Old 10-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #14
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
If it was 50km before the light went on then this might not apply but I have the same light on and when I got my mechanic to replace my head gaskets I asked him about it and he asked me if I changed teh gas cap and I told him that I did.

I asked what it could be and he told me that it is one of the most useless codes because it is not specific enough. It could be the gas cap, the fuel sensor, the pump that pressurises the fuel tank, or a sensor in the engine bay.

Apparently, after the fuel sensor detects that a certain amount of gas is out of the tank it starts to pressurize the tank so the fuel won't evaporate. The sensor measures the pressure by a bladder that expands and contracts and if it starts to crack because it gets old then it can't read the bladder correctly and turns the light on because it doesn;t think the tank is pressurized.

Now if it is not that it could just be a sensor in the engine bay just not reading what the sensor's is sending, a wire that connects the systems that is faulty, the pressurization pump for the fuel tank, the pressure bladder, the sensor in there, or about another 2 or 3 things that I can't remember he told me about.

That is what I remember from 2 months ago. If you want more info I can talk to him again and see what he says. Basically that is the only light on on my dash as well and I just decided to live with it.

If you can make heads or tails of that...props to you...lol

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote