Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 11-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
Question which intake should I buy? Any opinions?

Hey everyone,

I finally saved up some money to change my intake on my car and I am wondering which one to purchase. I am undecided whether to buy a cold air and then modify it to convert to wai in the winter or just stick with wai. And should I get a K&N filter or just the generic one for now and then replace it later? I know lots of questions but I want to do it right if Im gonna do it.

Here are the choices:

These ones use half of the stock intake so I was kinda iffy on them

wai

http://cgi.ebay.ca/94-04-Grand-AM-Ma...item2ea8b327b0

These ones replace the entire thing and go directly to the manifold and use the stock MAF sensor:

wai:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/94-01-02-03-04-Gr...item563674808d

cai w/o K&N filter

http://cgi.ebay.ca/OLDSMOBILE-ALERO-...item563697162d

cai w/ K&N filter

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1999-2000-01-2005...item3ca6ebabb7

Also with the cai. would I just take out the curve to the bottom, add another short piece of pipe and then put the filter on it to convert to wai (meaning no modifying of intake bought?)

Thanks guys.

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
get the cheapest one. those off-brand filters are decent up to a certain mileage (probably about half of what the K&N's do) and then you can go to the store and buy replacement filters as needed, for much cheaper. Hell, you can probably piece together an intake for cheaper than those at the store.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Paul.C
GX Member

Paul.C is on a distinguished road
right now i have a standard cone filter that doesnt fit into my airbox but sits on top of it i dont seem to have any problems. at certain rpms it will whistle and all you need to do is just leave it all yr round or until you can get a proper cold air. by the way its cheap and easy to make one on your own either way but i would spend the extra cash and get k&n with there special spray get 4 to 5 times the life out of it.

hers how.

step one: remove the lid to the stock intake and remove it entirely leaving all the sensors in place.

step two: take out the stock filter and have a cone filter that fits in the box about half way.

step three: you may need to have a hose adapter to fit the filter on to the stock intake.

tada you have a wai
Paul.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
Vella's Alero
GL Member

I appreciate the feedback so far but isn't the stock piping really constrictive and obstruct the flow of the air? That is mainly the reason I had the question because I was going to go with the last option but then if the piping isnt too bad then I will jsut get the first one.

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Old 11-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Ebay 3 Piece CAI

Dun
Old 11-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
Vella's Alero
GL Member

that's what I was thinking...now with this do I need to mod or move anything in the engine bay to run the pipe? and to convert to wai just remove the elbow, add a piece of pipe and then the filter?
Thanks for input so far ladies and gents.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vella's Alero View Post
that's what I was thinking...now with this do I need to mod or move anything in the engine bay to run the pipe? and to convert to wai just remove the elbow, add a piece of pipe and then the filter?
Thanks for input so far ladies and gents.

1. need to rip out all of the stock airbox components,

and yeah, thats the CAI to WAI conversion