Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 11-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
99alerogirl
Female.

99alerogirl will become famous soon enough
WTF Sheeba?

ok, so sheeba's been really good to me the whole time we've known each other. no engine/weird electrical problems EVER. only suspension issues. the other day, my gas light was on (i had just gotten back from my drive to/from oklahoma... hadn't gotten gas yet). i went into a store, and came back out, started her up... BAM it said i had a full tank. after sitting there debating for 5 minutes on whether i put gas in or not, i started to drive home. as i'm driving the needle is sloooowly falling back down, and right when i pull into my parking space my gas light was back on. now this was a one time occurrence the other day, hasn't happened since.

just now, i was leaving work to go on my lunch break, i back out of my space, put it in drive. i put my foot on the gas and i just continued to idle forward, but my engine revved like i was in neutral. so i look down to see my RPM's, and my speedometer was up at about 73 and just sitting there. i was idling! then it fell back down.

now i don't know if these 3 problems are all related or not, and i really can't afford to lose sheeba right now. does anyone have any ideas? the problems with 2 different gauges leads me to think maybe the cluster? but then what was up with the whole engine revving while in drive thing? that to me sounds like transmission. anyone?
99alerogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
bentiac
GL Member

bentiac is on a distinguished road
It's probably your fuel level sensor that's not working properly. I've heard of them doing this on other GM cars.
GS - 01 Alero Coupe - MT, CG-lock,Front/rear strut tower brace,WAI,Fidanza Short throw Shifter and custom short throw clutch, AGX adjustable struts and mounts, Dropzone Springs, speedbuilt front sway bar, Toyo R888.

CS - 06 RX8 - Special Edition Shinka, 285 Hoosier A6.
bentiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
99alerogirl
Female.

yeah but then what's up with the speedometer? it's crazy!! haha. and the fuel thing hasn't happened since then.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
worknprog.99
GLS member

worknprog.99 is on a distinguished road
my gas gauge does its own thing all time.. just start watching your odometer... i get around 280 miles a tank in the city with some highway and well over 300 all highway... just to think about
worknprog.99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
99alerogirl
Female.

yeah that's what i'll do if that ever does it again
Old 11-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
bentiac
GL Member

bentiac is on a distinguished road
Oh I see... missed that part at first. Then I'm guessing it's the circuit ground problem. All the gauges + the senders probably share the same ground.
GS - 01 Alero Coupe - MT, CG-lock,Front/rear strut tower brace,WAI,Fidanza Short throw Shifter and custom short throw clutch, AGX adjustable struts and mounts, Dropzone Springs, speedbuilt front sway bar, Toyo R888.

CS - 06 RX8 - Special Edition Shinka, 285 Hoosier A6.
bentiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
DansGen1Alero
GL Member

DansGen1Alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Yahoo to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Skype™ to DansGen1Alero
its a common prob for the gas gauge, I beleive its the fuel pump and all related hardware

the rest of the gauges going crazy has happened to me before, its almost like a reboot

as far as the revving and seeming like you are nuetral, that does sound like the trans slipping.

"Vinyl belongs on the side of a house not on a car"
DansGen1Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I had a problem with my gas hand where it would read empty when I know I filled the tank....after debating whether or not I was going to get it fixed it started working again on its own. I just made sure it was filled!

I don't know about gas tanks, but maybe something is stuck...if you have had a very low tank recently? At least that is what I chalked my problem up to. It happened the week I ran it down below 1/4 tank..usually try to fill up when it gets to a 1/4 tank.

Keep us updated, cause I need to know if this is something I need to have fixed as well. Good Luck!
Old 11-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
99alerogirl
Female.

yeah i always run it to the gas light... don't know why, and i know it's not good for it i know, i know. but i do it, and i did put 12 gallons in it when i filled it, so maybe it just freaked out being so low? hopefully! but right now the gas gauge is kinda the least of my worries. it's the combo of the gauges and that weird tranny thing.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
DansGen1Alero
GL Member

Send a message via AIM to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Yahoo to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Skype™ to DansGen1Alero
the gas gauge problem, will continue to do it, and only get worse. I know from experience. I still have not fixxed mine, and sitting for 3 years I have no clue how much is in there. it will go full then 1/4 then half, and fly back n forth.

do a search, but the concensus seems to be the fuel pump/floater/sending unit. the part for the 99's is like $300 and for 00-04 like $160-$200, then you have labor.

Lonnie....Surreal Awakeing (Matt) is in MD too and he had replaced his before. He may lend you a hand

Old 11-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #11
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Tranny: Change fluid and filter, it's a lack of fluid that caused that, mine did it all the time

Gauges : mine does that once in a while, something to do with the Hubs...

Fuel Gauge: Dont worry about it, it's the level sensor, mine's real bad, when i get to a 1/4 of a tank, it goes haywire
Old 11-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
DansGen1Alero
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
Fuel Gauge: Dont worry about it, it's the level sensor, mine's real bad, when i get to a 1/4 of a tank, it goes haywire

It is something to worry about if you do not take care of it, after a year to a year and a half, your not gonna know how much gas you have because it will go haywire all the time, not just at 1/4 tank. full tank, half tank, after fill up....it only gets worse.

now if you dont mind using your trip odo to determine how much longer you have to go, then yes dont worry about it. but that becomes a PITA and heaven forbid your battery dies in between and your odo is reset.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #13
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
i know, i plan on getting it fixed (need to drop a walbro in to handle the increased need, and my FP is dying)
Old 11-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #14
99alerogirl
Female.

alright so i think i've found the speedometer problem, which may have something to do with the tranny too. just noticed that now when it's in reverse, my speedometer goes up with my speed, even in reverse. i'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do that? it goes up to like 7 mph until i stop reversing, down to 0, then back up to my forward speed. i'm pretty sure this problem is linked to my vehicle speed sensor.

but on the plus side, ever since i got sheeba i have to kinda tap the gas when i start it, and she idles kinda rough at stoplights... nothing too terrible, not even too noticeable to anyone else, but bugged the crap outta me. i was looking under the hood today and found my PCV elbow cracked. pulled the pcv valve out and it was toast. 6 dollars later, sheeba runs better than she ever has for me =) minus the speedometer problem!
Old 11-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #15
DansGen1Alero
GL Member

yea the pcv elbow cracked on mine, dealership replaced it with rubber hose, lol.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #16
99alerogirl
Female.

haha the only elbow we had at work was a chrysler elbow. worked like a charm.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #17
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

the speed does work in reverse
Old 11-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #18
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah my gas gauge flips out every once in a while and then jumps back to a steady normal reading. It like jumps jerkily really fast.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #19
99alerogirl
Female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
the speed does work in reverse

it does? it never did on any of my other cars, but i never noticed it before in sheeba! crazzzzy
Old 11-20-2009, 08:00 PM   #20
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

it works for me