Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 11-28-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
GM Supercharger on a '99?

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/Pa...P&sku=12498660

why does the supercharger say its for only for 2000 to 2002 2.4L engines? would it work on a 1999 alero?

also, is it worth the money?

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.ph...05987&t=105987

Of course it's worth the money!

Last edited by [ion] C2 : 11-28-2007 at 06:47 PM.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

what do they cost?

Old 11-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
I'd suggest you try to find a 2000+ Alero with the 2.4L if you haven't bought a 99 already... it is INFINITELY easier than getting a custom tune, different injectors, replacing the starter, etc.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

ok...i was just wondering... i'm still considering buying a 1999 2 door for $500 and it has 135K on the engine and trans but i was just thinking it would be fun if i got that and strapped on a supercharger but if its more than changing the starter, i'm not too sure about it

Old 11-28-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

Oh, $500 wow, what's wrong with the car? And yes it's a reasonable amount of work to get it to work, not plug and play like it was for me.

If you get the supercharger, get it from CrateEngineDepot.com, cheapest place around, the shipping is only like $20 although it'll estimate it at $200.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #7
AJules
GLS member

AJules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdgeofSanity View Post
ok...i was just wondering... i'm still considering buying a 1999 2 door for $500 and it has 135K on the engine and trans but i was just thinking it would be fun if i got that and strapped on a supercharger but if its more than changing the starter, i'm not too sure about it

I've also been wondering this, I was thinking about supercharging my 99 in the spring

I've read a lot on quad4forums and jbody and it doesn't seem like it's all that much work to get everything going on a 99. I don't think the starter even needs to be changed, I'm not too sure about the injectors though, the biggest thing seems like getting the tune, and I don't know how it works but couldn't you just take a pcm from a 00+ and use that?

anybody on here have a 99 alero with the supercharger?
AJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #8
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
Here is the deal with the 99 with the GM s/c kit. in 99 we already have the smaller starter, we use the low imp injectors, so the only thing that does not work is the tune.

Well let me rephrase that, the dealer will not reflash a 99 PCM. there isn't much difference between 99 and 00 but the upstream O2 is different and i am sure a few other things in the program.

I have been wanting to try a 00-01 PCM in my 99 and see if it works but never did it. i even have a PCM here.

there is 2 ways of doing this........

1. get hp tuners and have it tuned for the 2 bar and etc.

2. get check valves, increase your fuel with a AFPR, a wideband, and basically elimate the boost before the map sensor. not the best way but can work but not effiecently
Old 11-28-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

Low impedance (fat) injectors are the ones you don't want.. because you can't use the high impedance )skinny) 310cc ones that come with the kit, and need to buy low impedance 320cc injectors from RC Engineering.

But I had no idea the 1999 Alero had the smaller starter, so you're good there.

Tuning and injectors will be the problem, and the 2 bar MAP sensor doesn't work with the stock PCM so you'll have to try a 2000 PCM and get that reflashed, or custom tune it.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:23 PM   #10
AJules
GLS member

what if I don't want hptuners because I wouldn't feel comfortable with it (and it's not cheap), would I be able to take it somewhere to be tuned by someone else? and if so, how much would it cost?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #11
[ion] C2
636 whp

$700 for custom professional dyno tune.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #12
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

well, the $500 alero is kinda in a bad body state...it would definitely be a huge body project because it got hit in the passenger back. other than that, it needs a new passenger headlight assembly and a reallly good cleaning. its the same color as my car.

i read on the j-body forums that you can leave the stock injectors and they work good enough but that you need to change the PCM around and block something off.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:40 PM   #13
[ion] C2
636 whp

the EGR valve, not sure if ours have it on the 1999

also, i wouldn't trust the stock injectors...

you'd definitely have a sleeper though, wrecked car that goes fast
Old 11-28-2007, 08:43 PM   #14
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

lol, yep. it would be a junker but i figure for $500, i can't go wrong. if it blows up, i'll take the s/c off and sell it on ebay or keep it for a future project car with the 2.4

i'll get some pics in the next few weeks of this car. it's certainly a peice of work but i don't think it would be that bad with a little TLC and duck tape

Old 11-28-2007, 11:46 PM   #15
AJules
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
$700 for custom professional dyno tune.

wow that's steep, considering the reflash for 00+ 2.4s is 100 or less
know of any other way to tune a car?
isn't hp tuners about 500 or so?
think if I get a 2000 pcm, they could just reflash it as if it was a 2000?
Old 11-28-2007, 11:50 PM   #16
[ion] C2
636 whp

that's just stock premade reflash, if you want a real tune it takes hours/days on the dyno, which costs money, time, and effort to make everything right

not sure if you can just drop in the 2000 PCM

yes HP tuners is 500 but if you don't know what the hell you're doing or anything about tuning, you can seriously eff things up
Old 11-29-2007, 12:17 AM   #17
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
i was always thinking about this. if i could get a 2000+ pcm and wire it up so it works this would be a hell of a lot easier
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:19 AM   #18
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Low impedance (fat) injectors are the ones you don't want.. because you can't use the high impedance )skinny) 310cc ones that come with the kit, and need to buy low impedance 320cc injectors from RC Engineering.

But I had no idea the 1999 Alero had the smaller starter, so you're good there.

Tuning and injectors will be the problem, and the 2 bar MAP sensor doesn't work with the stock PCM so you'll have to try a 2000 PCM and get that reflashed, or custom tune it.

my bad. we already have the right injectors. i get confused on the high or low but i know i ohmed mine out and it was the same as 2000.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:22 AM   #19
Oldsman
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdgeofSanity View Post
well, the $500 alero is kinda in a bad body state...it would definitely be a huge body project because it got hit in the passenger back. other than that, it needs a new passenger headlight assembly and a reallly good cleaning. its the same color as my car.

i read on the j-body forums that you can leave the stock injectors and they work good enough but that you need to change the PCM around and block something off.

stock injectors are not big enough you need 310 or 320 cc injectors. most of the J guys use RC 320 cc injectors.

you don't have to block anything off only early 99 had EGR valves. My 2.4 has no EGR.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:05 PM   #20
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Oldsman's right, 99's already have the smaller starter, no EGR, and high impedance injectors.

HPTuners would be a good idea, but not required. You would need to swap to 310cc or 320cc injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator to lower the pressure to idle and run with the larger injectors, adjustable FMU to raise the pressure in boost, and a wideband to tune it all yourself. Just know one important thing, this is a very basic fuel setup and if you're planning on going any higher than 4-5psi, you'll need something to better control the injectors, and then it would be a much better idea to get ahold of HPTuners.

Check valves aren't necessary, the stock MAP sensor doesn't care if it sees boost, it'll just read it as 0 vacuum.