Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
GL2Alero
GX Member

GL2Alero is on a distinguished road
Wheel Bearing.....NOT a wheel bearing!!

About 3 weeks ago or so the ABS light, no trac light and service vehicle light started coming on randomly and would reset after restarting. About a week later started getting a sound that gradually got worse over one week and sounds like mud tires. The lights now come on much more often as well.
I had already replaced the front bearings last october so I decided to do the rear bearings. Replaced both rears and still have sound and lights. Took it to Big-O where I got the tires and they said it was the front right bearing because the sound is louder turning to the left and is quieter turning to the right.
I replaced the front right bearing and still have the sound and the lights. I took the front left bearing completely off with out buying a new one and it seems perfectly fine spinning it in my hand. I have also rotated my tires.
I still have the mud tire sound that is louder turning left and have the 3 lights.
The tires have 20,000 miles on them and the 2 on the rear had started cupping but not real bad. Also, the centers seem slightly more worn than the edges.

I checked the codes and I cant remember the code but I looked it up and all it said was loss of communication with brake control module.

Are the lights connected to this sound problem or a coincidence?
I have 3 new bearings and the last one seems fine so what could it be? Could this be tires? CV joints dont make this kind of sound do they? The CV boots are in good shape.

Any suggestions before I wind up taking it to a shop.
By the way it is a 2001 Alero 3.4 162,000 miles.
GL2Alero is offline   Reply With Quote