Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 07-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
cubsox
GX Member

cubsox is on a distinguished road
Speaker wiring harness issues

I'm trying to replace the 6x9 speakers in the rear deck. I've got the new speakers installed, but I can't hook them up to the factory wiring harness. I ordered the new speakers from Crutchfield, who sent an adapter that was supposed to fit. The adapter they sent was a 2-pronger, but the factory harness is a 4-pronger. I contacted Crutchfield and they said they did not have any harnesses that would fit. I've looked all over the internet for 4-prong harnesses that will fit, but have found nothing but 2-prongers. Does anyone know where to get a harness that fits, or do I have to make a modification with the stock harness from the old speakers and the spare wires from the new speakers? Thanks!
cubsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Why does it have 4 prongs? It should just have the 2 for the + and the -
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Your car probably has a factory amp, and with four prongs the speakers you have probably have two voice coils. You're going to have to get the wiring diagram for your car, and see which ones are + and which ones are - but they are suppose to be that way. Your going to have to use one pair from back there which is why the diagram plays a big part. What year do you have? You might be able to find the info under the general performance thread and look under the everything you want to know about your car thread follow the directions and find your wiring diagram there. Hopefully! Good luck
Old 07-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
Your car probably has a factory amp, and with four prongs the speakers you have probably have two voice coils. You're going to have to get the wiring diagram for your car, and see which ones are + and which ones are - but they are suppose to be that way. Your going to have to use one pair from back there which is why the diagram plays a big part. What year do you have? You might be able to find the info under the general performance thread and look under the everything you want to know about your car thread follow the directions and find your wiring diagram there. Hopefully! Good luck

Good job Lonnie-

I keep forgetting some Aleros had the amps
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
cubsox
GX Member

cubsox is on a distinguished road
My car is an 01. How would I know if it has an amp (just got the car two months ago, still learning about it)? Also, the speakers I got are Alpine Type S 2-ways, and the box says that if the car already has tweeters (which mine does, in the sail panel), they should be disconnected or the Alpine's could malfunction. Is this true?
cubsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
surreal_awakening
GL Member

surreal_awakening is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to surreal_awakening
What you'll probably need to do is disconnect the factory crossovers for the rear speakers and plug in there with the harness they gave you. Or just tee off before the x-overs with that harness (so that you get the full signal going to your new single voice coil speakers) and leave the x-overs disconnected from the speakers. The x-overs are under up near the rear speakers under the package tray or whatever you choose to call it.
surreal_awakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
itsbmw

Last edited by itsbmw : 01-04-2023 at 09:40 PM.