Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 06-16-2008, 09:15 AM   #81
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
mine don't dim at all, they used to, but i bumped up my "big 3" (grounding to battery, alt and new battery) and i'm good now.

i HAVE a 1 farad cap thats sitting on my workbench. i don't have any room for it.... so i just left it out. doesn't seem to do much but take up room

i guess the polarity issue came from krystal's obscure wiring identification. they had (on the 4 wire set) a black, red, white, blue. and not even connected, i think they were in that order... which doesn't make sense. then the 2 channel set was black and red. so i somehow botched wiring those together.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #82
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
What size did you go for in battery to amp wiring? I'm using a number 4 to the distribution block then from there I bump down to number 8..the ground is striaght 8 from amp to ground. I don't have many dim light issues but I wanted to have something in there just in case, and a little clip protection.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #83
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
i have 2ga from alt to battery, 8 ga from battery to ground (gotta add one or two more when i get another pair of hands to help) and 2x8ga running from the battery back to each amp.

I already had the wire laying around, and didn't want to have to go buy 2 or 4ga and a distro block. so i just ran a whole new 8.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #84
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I gottcha, then I may use some grounding strap I got here and take it from the batt to the frame, and I guess I could get some 2ga for the run from the alt to the batt. I got some extra 8ga left that I was going to use for the Cap and I guess I could double up the run from the distribution block to the amp, and the same for the ground. IDK I think that my last amp may have went up due to underpowering, but when I took it apart there were no parts showing signs of damage and no fuses blew, so I want to make sure that I have my bases covered with this one...although they are cheap enough to get it replaced as long as they are in stock.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #85
cherrington17
Gone

i only beefed up the alt wire because i got a highout put alt, and its got like a 18ga wire for the stock one. its pathetic.

i gained like a full half a volt, and lord only knows how many amps...
Old 06-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #86
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
i only beefed up the alt wire because i got a highout put alt, and its got like a 18ga wire for the stock one. its pathetic.

i gained like a full half a volt, and lord only knows how many amps...
What do those alt run? And what did you do for getting cool air in for your amps I can't see them here at work and I can't remember if you had fans or not but my amp doesn't come with a fan so I am designing a heat sink cooling box. Actually I have it built just got it done a second ago and tested with a shop vac, and it works pretty good pulls the cool air in and gets rid of the rest, but anyway are you having any heat issues since we have had warm weather here on the east cost?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #87
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Here's what I came up with for solving my heat issues in the trunk. I call it a heat disapation box. It basically disapates the heat from the heat sinks and in theory should increase the effiecency of the amp even during the hottest of days.

Of course this is my proto-type so it is rough around the edges, but it works really well just from bench testing. I can turn it on and run my hands under it and feel the cool air through out the box. Now hopefully science will work in my favor and really cause the heated air from the heat sink to rise and if so my box will push it out and bring in the cool air. This is what I do on slow days at work. LOL

Attachment 4428

Attachment 4429

Last edited by lonnie : 07-31-2008 at 02:14 PM.
lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #88
cherrington17
Gone

thats your workbench at work!? eff! i'm jealous!

everything i've done, i've done with an old ass couple of saws my dad has, and a radioshack soldering iron.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:07 PM   #89
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
Here's what I came up with for solving my heat issues in the trunk. I call it a heat disapation box. It basically disapates the heat from the heat sinks and in theory should increase the effiecency of the amp even during the hottest of days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stinger-12-Volt-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 06-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #90
cherrington17
Gone

yeah.... but nothing beats doing it yourself.

plus, it keeps lonnie off the streetz.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #91
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
thats your workbench at work!? eff! i'm jealous!

everything i've done, i've done with an old ass couple of saws my dad has, and a radioshack soldering iron.
Yeah this is one of them I have one that I built next to it that you can't see, and I have one that I built out in the ware house and there is another like the one in the pic that is out at a shop at the tower building. Of course I don't personally own these. But it helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
Yeah I know there are some out there I did my research but there wasn't anything that I could do for five bucks, but thanks. I tested it all afternoon yesterday and it works fine, the only problem is where I installed the wall I have to make it smaller.

Quote:
yeah.... but nothing beats doing it yourself.

plus, it keeps lonnie off the streetz.
Ha Ha Ha, but yeah I love making stuff like that myself. To go from a drawing to reality is fun to me. It dosen't matter if someone else has done it as long as I can say that I made this one myself.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #92
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
Ha Ha Ha, but yeah I love making stuff like that myself. To go from a drawing to reality is fun to me. It dosen't matter if someone else has done it as long as I can say that I made this one myself.

You would probably like my job then...
Old 06-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #93
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
You would probably like my job then...
You may be right thats why I like my job now. I get to do alot with my hands. Of course there are times where I have to get paperwork done so I have to be in the office but the majority of my time is handson and on the road. I recently had to customize brackets for the sheriffs command vehicle cause what they wanted to do Motorola didn't make the brackets to get it done. Its better when you love it!
Old 06-19-2008, 11:17 AM   #94
cherrington17
Gone

Well, i went through and fixed my channels. (had them backwards AND reversed. de-dede)

and as i was doing that, i decided i should take my door off and figure out why my driver's side woofer sounds muddy...

the reason....

there is a 2" tear in the butyl rubber!!!!!! i just emailed the company to see if its covered under warranty. that f'n blows. i just got these, what, 3 months ago??
Old 06-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #95
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Well, i went through and fixed my channels. (had them backwards AND reversed. de-dede)

and as i was doing that, i decided i should take my door off and figure out why my driver's side woofer sounds muddy...

the reason....

there is a 2" tear in the butyl rubber!!!!!! i just emailed the company to see if its covered under warranty. that f'n blows. i just got these, what, 3 months ago??
That effing sucks. Is the tear in the rubber itself or is it separating from the cone? I've fixed a few that were seperating from the cone but never the rubber spring itself. They should def be covered under a warranty I don't see why they wouldn't. My cooling box is to big so I have to build another one but it works. I just didn't account for the lost of space due to the board, but oh well back to the drawing board.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #96
cherrington17
Gone

the rubber itself split right in the middle. it REALLY sucks. i hope they don't want me to send everything back, and its just the speaker itself. (can't see why they'd do the first, but i've seen companies do stupid things)
Old 06-20-2008, 07:33 AM   #97
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Yeah that would suck, I wonder how that could have happen. Have you called them yet to see if they would be willing to send a replacement for the return of the bad one?
Old 06-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #98
cherrington17
Gone

well.. i just heard back and i have to send the whole kit back, since they no longer carry the picasso series. but they are replacing the whole kit with the newer TRC.6N. just gotta get the old speakers out now.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #99
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
well.. i just heard back and i have to send the whole kit back, since they no longer carry the picasso series. but they are replacing the whole kit with the newer TRC.6N. just gotta get the old speakers out now.
Thats bitter sweet but damn thats alot of work to replace one speaker, but I can see the sweet side to this. I wonder how much I could get a set for that is discontinued.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #100
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Thats usually caused when your speaker is touching the door panel... This problem is common... With poor installs