Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 05-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #21
JonStoltz
GX Member

JonStoltz is on a distinguished road
i'll look into it more

Last edited by JonStoltz : 05-07-2014 at 05:09 PM.
JonStoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #22
JonStoltz
GX Member

I never though of it either thats why im so curious. for example Sound Ordinance says: 50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (90 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
Why not both? seems legit
Old 05-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #23
S8track16
GL Member

S8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond repute
You can run different ohm levels on the same amp as long as the speakers are in their own channel. Previously, I ran 4 speakers at 4 ohms on channel 3 and 4 of my amp and 2 speakers at 2 ohms on channel 1 and 2.

New System in Progress...Mids/Tweets: 2 Skar SPX component sets powered by a Skar 85.4. Subs: Hybrid 15" DD/AA, Amp: Skar SK3500, 2 runs (power and ground) of Knu OFC 0 gauge, XS d3400 up front, 2 Deka g31s in the trunk...more to come
S8track16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #24
JonStoltz
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8track16 View Post
You can run different ohm levels on the same amp as long as the speakers are in their own channel. Previously, I ran 4 speakers at 4 ohms on channel 3 and 4 of my amp and 2 speakers at 2 ohms on channel 1 and 2.

Thank you! I was waiting for at least one solid yes. at least now i know it can and has been done
Old 05-08-2014, 01:36 AM   #25
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStoltz View Post
my brain waves are clipping and lobe coils smoking causing mental distortion. Negolien, the speaker loads should all be stable since amps can typically run at 4 OR 2 ohms. Im asking can it run at 4 AND 2 ohms. As in can an amp handle 2 different loads at once? As long as its stable at 4 or 2 ohms and the speakers are 4 and 2 ohms. Cause Nas, u said the first 2 channels are typically separarate than the other 2 which in theory i could run at different recommended loads. Id rather not run a ton of amps like u said. Please bear with me lol im actually learnin a lot from u guys

Yes!!! That's what I was trying to communicate to Negolien from the beginning. If he got a 4 channel he could efficiently wire up a set of 4ohm speakers on channels 1 and 2, and 2 ohm speakers on channel 3 and 4. I ran a Boston Acoustics amp this way. I ran a 1ohm sub on one channel and as a joke, I hooked up my 6x9 speakers on the other channel at 2 ohms wired in parallel. While the 6x9's sounded like crap because there were no vocals going to it, I was able to run them without clipping or distorting.

If what I said confused you, I apologize. I get a lot of brain fog. Lose track of though and stuff like that.

You CAN run speakers at different loads on each channel PROVIDED the amp can put out the amount the speaker needs. Another side note, you could have a 4 channel amp that is 1 ohm stable and run a 1ohm sub on one channel, 2 2ohm speakers wired in parallel in another channel (4ohm each) , one 4ohm speaker on the 3rd channel, and 2 8ohm speakers (4ohm each) wired in series on the last channel.

The trick is watt matching. Also, a lot of amps aren't rated for 8 ohms, but the general rule is that you need to divide the 4ohm rating by 2 when you wire for 8ohms, multiply the rating by 2 when you wire for 2ohms.

This is NOT always the case as some amps aren't rated to put out half/double of what the 4ohm rating is, but most amps usually do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
I didn't give the get a 4 channel amp and run two different ohm load speakers with vastly different power ratings off of it much thought to be honest.

I plan on using a distribution block in the trunk run off of 0 gauge from the battery. I' am going to run my Class D, the Excelon 4 channel and the 2 channel 4 ohm to run 4 sets of speakers. 1 pair of subs, 1 pair of 6x9s, 1 pair of 4x6's and 1 pair of 6.5 components. The 6.5s and the 6x9s will be run off the 4 channel. That amp allows the use of 1 set of rca's to power 2 pair of speakers. Should end up with a decent SQ system with a decent amount of punch. All at the scrooge level of spending I currently employ lol.

To be honest, I didn't give much thought that you had biamped speakers. Now that I look back at all this, you could have easily gotten a 120 watt amp x4 @ 4ohm, wired the biamps to 4ohms, and ran 2 sets of speakers with the channel that would run the 4x6's. You could have gotten 80 watt speakers, placed them somewhere and ran them in parallel with the 4x6's and you wouldn't fry nothing. The power would be split evenly, since the bigger speakers would be a parasitic draw in that connection, taking away power from the 4x6's since it wouldn't be using much. It was simple science.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote