Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 09-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
Bmorezcmunee
GX Member

Bmorezcmunee is on a distinguished road
CAI 2 in line filiters?

hey guys. im not sure if anyone else had posted about this but would there be any benefit in having 2 cone filter inline on my CAI? i bought a CAI from ebay which works great but if read my other threads i always have a problem when it rains because the filter gets wet and my car cuts off.

so i was wondering if i put a filter right after the MAF and then connect the rest of the CAI after the filter, would that provide any additional benefit? and would it also prevent my car from shutting off during a torrential downpour.

below is an old and bad picture but that black rubber piece over on the right is where the filer would go. and then the rest of the CAI.
Bmorezcmunee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
wtf are you talking about just set up a CAI in the wheelwell and keep the rain from getting into the filter with the plastic wheelwell cover that comes with the car.

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
Bmorezcmunee
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr1m View Post
wtf are you talking about just set up a CAI in the wheelwell and keep the rain from getting into the filter with the plastic wheelwell cover that comes with the car.

everything that came with the car is there. the wheel well, the plastic cover around the fog light, etc. all that is there. it still gets wet. dont ask me how or why
Old 09-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
you should fab up the pipe so that the filter sits higher and doesnt get wet, it shouldnt and mine didnt get wet for the year and a half i had it

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Bad99Olds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bad99Olds
bypass valve anyone?
Bad99Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad99Olds View Post
bypass valve anyone?

bypass? isint that dangerous for a "no filter period?"
Old 09-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
Justin081
V.I.P. Member

Justin081 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Justin081
i saw someone that had 2 filters once ... i dunno how good it worked tho. he had one of those plastick flexible tubes autozone sells connected to the end of his first filter then that went down into the fender and had another filter on it. looked kinda dumb actually.

Justin081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
bypass? isint that dangerous for a "no filter period?"

You noob. The AEM bypass valve is a filtered device that closes off the intake piping that leads to the water and air is sucked in through that bypass valve until the water is gone.

If you're sucking up that much water, you need to pull your car out of the lake. The only way you can suck up water, or enough to hydrolock an engine is by having the end of the intake pipe completely submerged.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #9
Bmorezcmunee
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
You noob. The AEM bypass valve is a filtered device that closes off the intake piping that leads to the water and air is sucked in through that bypass valve until the water is gone.

If you're sucking up that much water, you need to pull your car out of the lake. The only way you can suck up water, or enough to hydrolock an engine is by having the end of the intake pipe completely submerged.

i know im not hydrolocking. im just tired of the filter getting so wet that it cant suck air properly, so i thought why not have 2 filter in-line? bad idea?
Old 09-29-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
It will make your "CAI" useless. Air will be sucked in through the closest filter.

Get a better filter. Even when I drove through torrential rainfall for 4 HOURS and through massive puddles and such with my CAI it was slightly wet.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #11
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
It will make your "CAI" useless. Air will be sucked in through the closest filter.
Says who?

I think being the big, reputable company that they are, AEM made the bypass valve to work properly and not make their own CAI's useless.

This is what it looks like underneath the foam filter:

There's little urethane flappers that are normally closed, allowing the CAI to work just like a CAI should. When the filter gets submerged or soaked in water, the increased vacuum created by that restriction on the filter pulls open the flappers and air gets sucked in through the bypass valve instead of pulling water up through the intake tube.

It's a great idea to add a bypass valve if your engine's sucking up a lot of water...should fix your problem.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:25 PM   #12
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

um i think c2 was arguing FOR the bypass?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:29 PM   #13
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
^^At first it looked like it, then he said:
Quote:
Old 09-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #14
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

he was referring to the 2 filters on the cai, not the bypass valve, i beleive
Old 09-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #15
[ion] C2
636 whp

haha bad99olds got it on, lol @ spilner. the bypass valve opens only when the normal filter is clogged with water.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #16
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
i saw go for the 2 filters. show ion what for!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #17
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

i really think the 2 cai thing is mildly useless. its going to suck the air from the closest filter first, which would be the warmest. go with a straight up cai and get the bypass valve, and call it a day.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:55 PM   #18
[ion] C2
636 whp

There's no way the bypass valve would open and prevent water from coming up from a few splashes getting through your filter like you seem to be getting somehow. That won't cause enough vacuum for it to open; only when the end of the pipe is completely submerged, which won't happen unless you drive through 2 feet of water. I have a CAI and am sucking with much more force and have been through some of the nastiest wet weather possible.