Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 06-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
TxAlero
GX Member

TxAlero is on a distinguished road
STUMPED...whats next HELP!

So this is what's going on. The engine is boiling out fluids and I'm at a wall to figure out what's wrong, here's a list of what's been done:

Changed the thermostat
Changed the water pump
Changed the head gaskets
Pressured tested the engine to 15 psi and watched for any leaks (none were found )
Bleed the system
Cleaned the radiator off and flushed
New overflow cap

I've watched the water flow from the overflow tank and from there no bubbles were coming out from like combustion gases.
I noticed that ONCE the temp got stableized and the guage was a mid point the upper hose to the radiator began to move and make chunking noises. My best guess was cold water going to the thermo was being pushed back by hot, boiling water comming back thru on the other side of the thermo.
After I stopped the engine and took off one of relay hoses back to the coolent tank there was steam comming out of the hose.
I was running water thru just to pressure test the system. WILL dexcool really lower the temp enough that it won't boil out like the water did, OR is the another underlying problem like a blown head or could I have placed the head gaskets on wrong and they are blocking water flow so it would boil.
Nothing is indicating a blown gasket or head because the problems only start after the car is warmed up to normal temp.
so all u gear heads out there Help please...

Last edited by TxAlero : 06-03-2012 at 09:52 PM.
TxAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Could be a crack in the overflow resivour
Old 06-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
Hellfire5670
GL Member

Hellfire5670 is on a distinguished road
Thats what happened to mine i did everything you did and the problem consisted Is there and oil in your coolant? my problem started from the LIMG problem and everything went downhill and I couldn't fix it no matter what i did..
Hellfire5670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
i would buy a new resivour. its like 45$ at napa here.

you can run water through the system and it shouldnt be a problem. my opinion dexcool would probably bubble out too if your having that problem with water. half the time, 50% of your dexcool is water cause you have to mix. some people run 75% water 25% coolant. i just do 50/50.

you filled it to the recommended level in the resivour right? are there any lights on on your cluster? svs ses coolant light?

i dont think a blown or cracked head would make it boil? i could be wrong though.

thats weird though. i dont think ive ever had that problem so im not completely sure on my statement above.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.

Last edited by sleepyalero : 06-03-2012 at 11:14 PM.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
TxAlero
GX Member

No water in the oil. No warning lights on dash. I would not think that the water overflow tank would be a problem, I pressure tested the system and no leaks, including around the resavor.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
TxAlero
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire5670 View Post
Thats what happened to mine i did everything you did and the problem consisted Is there and oil in your coolant? my problem started from the LIMG problem and everything went downhill and I couldn't fix it no matter what i did..

Did u ever take it to a shop to see what your problem was because that's seems to be my next step and just spend 75 bucks to get a full diagnosis on it.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAlero View Post
No water in the oil. No warning lights on dash. I would not think that the water overflow tank would be a problem, I pressure tested the system and no leaks, including around the resavor.

hmm, well im about as stumped as you are. lol sorry i wasnt to much of a help! hope someone chimes in and gives you a good idea of the problem so you dont have to take it to a shop! best of luck dude
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
First post was too long to reread... You sure your fans are working? Does it happem while driving or jusy sitting in traffic
Old 06-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #9
Hellfire5670
GL Member

My dads a mechanic and has been for years me and him tore into the engine and check everything... new gaskets new thermostat new headstuds did everything you did + cleaned everything we could on the head and the intake manifolds... taking it to a shop didn't do anything to help me... i could keep the temp level steady for about 2 weeks then it started rising up and started everything over...
Old 06-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
TxAlero
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
First post was too long to reread... You sure your fans are working? Does it happem while driving or jusy sitting in traffic
Fans are working they come on when the AC is off, and on when the AC is turned on etc.. the boiling out part seems to only happen after its been running for a while , either letting it ideal or driving.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #11
TxAlero
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire5670 View Post
My dads a mechanic and has been for years me and him tore into the engine and check everything... new gaskets new thermostat new headstuds did everything you did + cleaned everything we could on the head and the intake manifolds... taking it to a shop didn't do anything to help me... i could keep the temp level steady for about 2 weeks then it started rising up and started everything over...

Is your alero still doing that or did u just get a new engine??
Old 06-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #12
Hellfire5670
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAlero View Post
Is your alero still doing that or did u just get a new engine??

It's still doing it and its parked I just got a whole new car thats still yet to arrive at the dealership... your best bet is to get a whole new engine, nothing i have done to the car is working
Old 06-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #13
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Replace the radiator. Mine would heat up in a matter of minutes sitting in a drive thru, i cleaned mine time and time again, flushed, rinsed, even took it out and cleaned it.... sometimes they jut rot from the inside out and dont dissipate heat well. Mine can sit for hours now and be like a new car, rising to 220 and then dropping back down to about 200 when the low speed fan comes on. Even in 90*f Heat.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #14
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

Could be a cracked radiator
Old 06-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #15
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Could be a cracked radiator

I cut mine in half when i replaced it, i found like a calcium build up on the tubes.... i think it kind of created an insulated barrier between heat dissipation. It certainly helped my situation... (of course when i replaced mine, half of my radiator blew apart sitting in traffic when the temp was hovering around the 3/4 line)
Old 06-04-2012, 01:35 AM   #16
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

Eff that thay sounds scary as shit hahaha.

I have thought about doing a rad swap on mine as well though. I may get the one from milzy
Old 06-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #17
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
Eff that thay sounds scary as shit hahaha.

I have thought about doing a rad swap on mine as well though. I may get the one from milzy

fyi i heard you gotta fab his radiator a bit to fit.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-04-2012, 02:40 AM   #18
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

Orly?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #19
TxAlero
GX Member

Back on subject would a new rad really be the answer to something that sounds like its boiling in past the thermo? I mean I guess it couldn't hurt getting a new one but is it solving the problem or masking something else?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #20
TxAlero
GX Member

Any more thoughts before I take it to a shop?