Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 01-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Loseing coolant

Car is NOT overheating and there is a little bit of coolant just under my overflow bottle. The hoses that go into the bottle are fine. The overflow hose is way under the front of the bottle, but there are small traces of coolant along the inside of the fender all the way back to the suspension hub.

Not an insane amount of smoke/steam comming from the tail pipes. A little bit at stop lights and at idle (my commute is only 8 minutes) but when I'm moving, nothing. Plus it's been cold here. Oil is clean, coolant is clean

Also my heat/defrost is acting weird. Nice and hot with the vent settings after warmed up of course, but put on defrost is gets cold. If I turn the knob to all the way cold, it gets colder. After a few minutes the heat comes up but the windows still fog up..

I just played around with the HVAC vacuum line, I think it was cracked because it snapped off pretty easy in my hand. I streached the rubber hose for now. I'll go to Advanced tomorrow morning and pick up some vacuum hose and fix that. Also. The 90* elbow that goes on the PCV valve, anybody know the part number at which store. Mine is cracked and the one on Advacned's web site is wrong

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
a4d2a0m
GL Member

a4d2a0m is on a distinguished road
I had a similar prob in my grand am... after searcing it was a tiny hairline crack on the fenderside of the reservoir. just below the seam.

a4d2a0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
open your bleeder, i bet there will be air in there, don't ask me now, just open it once it's fully warmed up.. open it and bleed the air, drive 10 miles and bleed again, keep doing this until all air is gone, and i know it won't stop... i'll let you know when you get back to me
Nate's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4d2a0m View Post
I had a similar prob in my grand am... after searcing it was a tiny hairline crack on the fenderside of the reservoir. just below the seam.

I hope not, I just had that bottle replaced.

Nate, my mech thinks there's air in the system too. I'm going to be heading over to him because I have to replace my door hinges. I'll gladly pay somebody to do that. Did it on my Cougar. Once is enough

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 01-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
I hope not, I just had that bottle replaced.

Nate, my mech thinks there's air in the system too. I'm going to be heading over to him because I have to replace my door hinges. I'll gladly pay somebody to do that. Did it on my Cougar. Once is enough

just bleed it yourself? it's not hard lol
Old 01-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Which bleeder? bottom of raditor?

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 01-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
Chipmunk-Alero
AleroMoB

Chipmunk-Alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chipmunk-Alero
NO, i think he means on the heater tube, on the front valve cover.

CC & PB, Tinted Tails, 3K HIDs (Lows/Fogs), GAGT Mirrors, Flowmaster Exhaust, D/S Rotors, CAI, Rockford Fosgate T400-4 T800-4, 1 15" C3, Rockford F 5.25/R 6x9
Chipmunk-Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
bottom of the radiator... after running the car!?! sweet jesus man! do you not want to have a face left!?!
Old 01-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmunk-Alero View Post
NO, i think he means on the heater tube, on the front valve cover.

OK Yeah on the bottom of the raditor made no sense

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 01-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Is this the bleeder screw you are talking about?

And if so, what size screw is it? I'm limited on tools right now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken's Camera 005-2.jpg (64.2 KB, 130 views)

www.facebook.com/kb0177

Last edited by Redog : 01-28-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #11
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
yes. thats it
Old 01-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

the top one is an 8mm, undo it maybe four tunrs, and you'll see bubbles, and then coolant
Old 01-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #13
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Actually it was a 10mm.

I opened it and saw some air bubbles. I opened it and then started the car and got it up to operating temp.

Seems to have helped a little bit. Let's see what happens next

When I was doing the bleeding I thought I saw some steam from under the TB area. I'll look in the daytime and see if there is a leak there

www.facebook.com/kb0177

Last edited by Redog : 01-28-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #14
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

couldnt have been a 10mm, if you took the entire thing out, to expose a hole, and you were able to run the car without a torrent of water, your pump is seriously bad
Old 01-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #15
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Oh, I didn't know it was 2 parts. I opened it up with the 10mm but after you said that, I looked at the pic again and see the second bolt on top

OK I'll try again when I get to work

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 01-29-2010, 03:51 AM   #16
Weazel
GL Member

Weazel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Weazel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post

When I was doing the bleeding I thought I saw some steam from under the TB area. I'll look in the daytime and see if there is a leak there

This seems to be going around. I've been losing coolant lately and my mother's Malibu just developed a huge leak under the TB and dumped all the coolant in a 5 mile ride
Weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:37 AM   #17
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
My car's going in today to the mechanic. Been losing coolant very slowly, too, for quite a while now.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #18
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
MOTHERF_CKER!!!!!!!

April 2004 my LIMG was replaced under warranty by the dealership. 50,000 miles later I find out from my mechanic that my LIMG went bad again and is at a point where I'm in danger of the coolant mixing with the oil so the car's going to have to sit until at least next Wednesday before they can get to it and my $1200.

Turns out there's 2 different types of gaskets for the LIM - the original one that would go defective 80% of the time and the replacement style which wouldn't. Guess which one the dealership replaced the bad one with?

Called the dealership that I bought the car from (ordered new from the factory and repaired under warranty 2 years later) and explained the situation to see what they could do for me. I normally get extraordinary outstanding customer service from them (they're primarily a Cadillac dealership), but the asshat that answered was a total douche. When I asked him what it would cost for me to have them repair it he said he was too busy to look it up. When I pressed him he said his "boss was calling" him so he had to go. F- them! They just completely lost me as a customer.

But now I have a HUGE repair to undertake (again!), no immediate funds to cover it, and other sudden huge expenses elsewhere also all hitting me at once (emergency vet bills, tv/vcr needing to be replaced, home repairs, etc.). At least I'm actually getting a bonus in March which should help somewhat pull me back out of this hole.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #19
cherrington17
Gone

pretty much how my injector problem hit me, yesterday...

at least misery has company, eh mitch?
Old 01-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #20
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

i gave it all to you, mine is running flawlessley