Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 04-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Fuzzyspudkiss
GX Member

Fuzzyspudkiss is on a distinguished road
How to Remove/Replace Air Dam/Valence?

I did a search for "air dam" and i found a couple of results but none of them described how easy it was to remove the air dam or valence or whatever the heck its called.

My question is how do you remove the air dam is it an in depth procedure that requires a mechanic's hand or can someone like me remove it fairly easily (I have almost enough knowledge to make me dangerous )

Also will the Grand Am air dams fit? i was gonna go look at a junk yard for an intact air dam. I think I only need the passenger side piece.

Here are some pictures...in case i am not calling it the correct name it is the very bottom black piece of plastic that is missing the pass. side. I know it doesn't really matter but it really annoys me that its not there...Thank you very much for all of the help

Fuzzyspudkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
it is a pretty simple process to do although it is a little bit of a pain to lift up the condenser though while lifting the air dam up to put the bolts back in.
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
Vic28
GL Member

Vic28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Vic28
Its called Splash shield (fender liner is the real name) and I believe you looking for the front half, passenger side. There is two per wheel in case you gonna order online and dont get it mixed up. Its pretty simple, turn the wheel (easier if you take it off) and take the tabs around the bumper, theres few 10mm bolts aswell but they can be a pain in the ass when they are rusted and dont want to come out without damaging the bumper a bit.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ale...osacat=0&bkBtn=
Old 04-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
lord2heart
GL Member

lord2heart is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lord2heart Send a message via MSN to lord2heart Send a message via Yahoo to lord2heart
dont want to steer this off course but whats the point of a splash shield?
lord2heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
domscox
GX Member

domscox is on a distinguished road
Find a donor car and take the piece off yourself. This is the best way to put it back on yours. I found one local for mine and the guy charged me 5 bucks. Little odds and ends like that should be cheap.
domscox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
the part connected to the finder liner on the drivers side will have to be cut off. th middle i don't know if it can come off or also has to be cut. imo it would be easier to spend 20-25 bucks and go buy a new passenger side fender liner so the bottom air dam is complete again. I never had a air dam on my alero, so when i ended up buying a fender liner i just cut off the air dam part anyways.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
IDK which ones you are talking about, but the sides are fender liners and they are fairly easy to remove. It's a bunch of 10mm bolts which are easy to undo, except for the ones in the body itself behind the wheel. I take mine out all the time at the track for better air flow.

A little tip: remove the headlight so you can push the body plugs part of the liner out easier. and turn the wheels all the way out from what side you are working on

The center, yes the condessor is held up by the same bolts. A bit of a pain, but doable. I would suggest putting the car up on ramps to give you more room to work

As for the price, don't bother going to the junkyard for this. The fender liners are $30 from the dealer and the center is I'm guessing about $50.

I bought a fenderliner last week, but the last time I bought one it was only $20 and the center was $40, but that was a long time ago

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
Are these really necessary? What exactly do they do cause I have my center one missing and haven't bothered to look into replaceing it. Sorry to thread jack but just curious.

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
lord2heart
GL Member

Send a message via AIM to lord2heart Send a message via MSN to lord2heart Send a message via Yahoo to lord2heart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vella's Alero View Post
Are these really necessary? What exactly do they do cause I have my center one missing and haven't bothered to look into replaceing it. Sorry to thread jack but just curious.

ditto
Old 04-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
The main reason they are there is to deflect the wind up into the raditor and keep the car cool at highway speeds. The left and right I would think would be more an aerodymatic thing on the bottom, and cooling when the air travels thru the fog light port area

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #11
lord2heart
GL Member

coolio
Old 04-08-2010, 12:56 AM   #12
Weazel
GL Member

Weazel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Weazel
Bolts and Christmas trees, depending what pieces you're doing.
Weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
my center is missing too but really wasn't sure if it was needed or not, my car (when it was running) never got hot and stayed pretty close to between 1/4 and 1/2 the temp gauge..

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #14
Fuzzyspudkiss
GX Member

Thanks everybody, now I have a lot of helpful information...and wouldn't it be great if i could only get around to doing it...
Old 04-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #15
Fuzzyspudkiss
GX Member

as long as its not raining do you guys think it would be ok to drive around without my splash guard? or is it too dangerous for the parts behind it?

i took it off just to see if i could do it and im not sure if i can leave it off for a couple of days...
Old 04-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #16
Weazel
GL Member

Weazel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Weazel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyspudkiss View Post
as long as its not raining do you guys think it would be ok to drive around without my splash guard? or is it too dangerous for the parts behind it?

i took it off just to see if i could do it and im not sure if i can leave it off for a couple of days...

I haven't had one for over a year, I would assume it helps, but the only thing it did for me before it ripped was scrape on my driveway every time I came and went.
Weazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #17
99 SVT Bolt
GX Member

99 SVT Bolt is on a distinguished road
That air dam helps cooling and reduces air turbulance under the car. That helps in fuel economy. While it may not be much, every little bit helps now a days.
99 SVT Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote