Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 12-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Possible Headgaskets?

i noticed today, it was 10* out.....

when i drive, my car runs about 186* to 190*

well, when i'm cruising, it's all fine and dandy

when i stop......this is what happens

the heat goes lukewarm.... and the temp starts going up, but NOT fast.

it takes a WHILE to get past the 1/2 mark, but when i step on the gas, it climbs FAST, and then goes back down.... wtf?

when i bleed it, air always seems to come out, and will never stop, coolant smells rancid, but is nice and green... there is a slight film of condensation...

opinions?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
i noticed today, it was 10* out.....

when i drive, my car runs about 186* to 190*

well, when i'm cruising, it's all fine and dandy

when i stop......this is what happens

the heat goes lukewarm.... and the temp starts going up, but NOT fast.

it takes a WHILE to get past the 1/2 mark, but when i step on the gas, it climbs FAST, and then goes back down.... wtf?

when i bleed it, air always seems to come out, and will never stop, coolant smells rancid, but is nice and green... there is a slight film of condensation...

opinions?

Did you check the oil? look like choclate milk? A lot of white smoke comming from the tailpipe? Are you losing any coolant?

Could be you were driving and the car was getting all the cold air, then you stopped and it warmed up.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
comanche
V.I.P. Member

comanche is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been told that in newer coolants you can't always see the oil when it's in there.

Have you checked your coolant temp sensor... maybe it's not reading right?
Seems strange that it won't bleed out right. Have you been losing coolant? Rad leak? Dexclog gumming up your radiator?

Just throwing ideas out, cooling is a weak area for me...
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
ok, i have green.... it's been in there for a while now,

no white smoke.... none at all... even when it's that cold, like, almost none...

i was just thinking that the thermostat is doing it's job? i really dont know, cooling systems are a weak spot for me...
Old 12-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
i had the same thing happen in my venture, and had my neighbour look at it... he said that my heads are leaking a bit, but nothing serious enough to worry about (i have had the van since feb and only put in maybe 1/2 jug of coolant so far) and when this happened to me he checked it out and said i had an air bubble in the line, he bled it until it ran air free, topped it up and its been fine since... although it is starting to happen again this week, i will have him look at it next week if we have time...

i know next to nothing, but he seems to fix my cars when things go wrong...

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

i think i'll do them... i planned on doing them in the spring anyway...the engine itself has a lot of life left in it...
i used "value" head gaskets when i did the 3500 top swap, and i wanted MLS gaskets..... and i've been naughty to my alero.... whoops
Old 12-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
do a compression test.
WhiteV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteV6 View Post
do a compression test.

did one, 150, 145, 140,

140, 135, 140
Old 12-19-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
well we will take the engine apart down to the heads at my house since nate can not do that kind of work at his house. Should be fun in the winter.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
I see no indication of a blown head gasket from those readings or the description. Having a bad overflow tank that does not seal is the obvious fix so do that first.
WhiteV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:11 PM   #11
comanche
V.I.P. Member

comanche is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, you've got great compression.

If there's no way that you can bleed the air out of it, then obviously you have a leak somewhere and have to start with that.

Are you losing coolant?
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #12
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

i do lose coolant, it's an external leak, i CANNOT find it, it lurks around the subframe, and no where near a hose or anything,

FIXED: replaced surge tank, holds heat now, still slowly creeps at redlights... but nothing new there, no more air...
Old 12-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
2000aleroff
GX Member

2000aleroff is on a distinguished road
sounds like what happened before they told me i needed a LIM job.....
2000aleroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #14
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

i just let it sit for 45 minutes.... i mean, it took FOREVER to get even past the 1/2 mark.... it's doing great, i love how...NOT crappy the new tank looks... i need to do a coolant flush though, it's all poopy from the previous tank letting all the dex poo stain out...