Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
antichrysler
GLS member

antichrysler is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to antichrysler
What's wrong with my car?

So... again my car has let me down. I don't mean to rag on Aleros but this car is seriously a piece.

So, here's the long version of the story... I really need to vent. So I'm driving to my interview today (was in Regina.... bout 2 hours from here) goin down the highway and I hear this loud banging noise on the roof of my car. So i'm like WTF, I open the visor for the sunroof and see this big piece of rubber banging the hell out of my roof. I pull over and the weather stripping around the top of the windshield came off completely and is banging against my car. So I pull over... didn't bother trying to put it back on just reefed it out of there and threw it in the back seat. (That should be fixed under warranty tomorrow from the glass shop).

Get to Regina... bout 15 minutes before my interview... driving 100 down ring road and this truck cuts me off. I hit the brakes slow down enough to not hit the truck and the entire car shuts off. No electrical, no engine revs, I just see two lights on on the dash saying it's either an electrical problem, or the oil light. I pull over and try to start the car, get nothing, try two more times, nothing, try a 4th time with the pedal to the floor (Yeah I know you shouldn't do that.... but I was pretty pissed off) and it finally starts.

So I keep driving to my interview (this interview is more important to me than the car). Driving to the interview the signal lights quit working, and the entire car is shaking (kinda the rough idle feeling), the engines got no power (runs like a frickin civic). I get to the interview, park it, and just hope the interview goes well.

Interview goes fine, get out, drive the car, everything runs fine. So phone up my dad see if I should get it checked out, he goes "nah it's just 2 hours away and you got your cell.... if it breaks we'll just get it towed back in". So I drive it back to Saskatoon, no problem. Go to the gas station fill up, drive home and the car starts doing the rough idle thing again.

Any ideas whats wrong with it? I'm really really getting sick of this car. I hope it gets stolen and totalled. Worthless piece of junk.
antichrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
check the endline for the rotary girder.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
shouldn't have been driving 100 mph.. lol Hitting the breaks at 100 mph might have messed something up.....
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
antichrysler
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2000 View Post

i'm not the most skilled with cars... what is that? where do i find it? and what should i look for?
Old 04-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
alero168
I Love Tiara!

alero168 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to alero168
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaliers60 View Post
shouldn't have been driving 100 mph.. lol Hitting the breaks at 100 mph might have messed something up.....
i think he means 100kph hes in canada
Old 04-17-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
HazMatt24
GLS member

HazMatt24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I'm gonna say it was 100KM/H since he's a Canuck
1994 Chevy Suburban aka The Zombie Mower 4" Rancho suspension lift 2" body lift. 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Radial M/Ts 10000K HID 12" JL W3 Subs in custom box 1000W Alpine mono amp 1F capacitor 6.5" JL mids 4X6 Pioneers in dash 450W Alpine 4 channel Dynomax cat & exhaust
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT chameleon paint, Cadillac 22" wheels
HazMatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:02 PM   #7
SittinOnChrome
GL Member

SittinOnChrome is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SittinOnChrome Send a message via Yahoo to SittinOnChrome
pour 1 gallon of motor honey in your engine oil.
SittinOnChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
antichrysler
GLS member

Quote:

lol i should've clarified..... that's 100 km/hr
Old 04-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #9
antichrysler
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SittinOnChrome View Post
pour 1 gallon of motor honey in your engine oil.

you mean stop leak?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:20 PM   #10
antichrysler
GLS member

So I was just talking to a friend of mine and he suggested it may be related to the onboard computer. Since when I got back in the car it worked just fine which means the computer rebooted.

Could this be it? Would getting it reflashed at a tuner shop fix it too? (figure that way i can remove the speed limiter)
Old 04-17-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
oh my bad. lol
Old 04-18-2007, 12:50 AM   #12
elitecloud
GL Member

elitecloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to elitecloud
I had this problem too, on mine it was like the CAI came off at the TB, might want to check that just in case

2006 Toyota X-Runner
elitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:18 AM   #13
Satsuriku
V.I.P. Punching Bag

Satsuriku is an unknown quantity at this point
i heard a similar story and im not mechanic by any means but apparently the problem was the fuel injectors went for shit at that moment, lol like i said, i seriously doubt thats the problem but i thought i would put it out there
Satsuriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:48 AM   #14
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2000 View Post
hahahaha, its funny cause antichrysler asked you where that was

"I was just checkin the specs on the endline rotary gurter.......im retarded"
-Tommy Boy-

has nothing to do with cars hahaha
Old 04-18-2007, 02:16 AM   #15
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
your fuel injectors could have something 2 do with it, so check, clean, or replace them. Another issue could be your ignition system as far as the coils, spark plugs,spark plug wires, etc. Check the module and coils. Do U do a maintence check every month?
DOHC_tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:43 AM   #16
antichrysler
GLS member

I sure hope it's not fuel injectors.... they sound really expensive

Well see i'm certain it's not the spark plug or spark plug wires. I just replaced the spark plugs a few weeks ago and the mechanic said the spark plug wires are fine... so it might be the coils.

I don't usually check anything on it. I just to the regular oil changes and air filter... I don't touch anything else unless I notice a problem.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:01 AM   #17
Mr_Reed
GL Member

Mr_Reed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Mr_Reed
[quote=antichrysler;273408]So... again my car has let me down. I don't mean to rag on Aleros but this car is seriously a piece.QUOTE]

I agree, I've had some of the same problems as you with my Alero, I've come to the conclusion that the Oldsmobile Alero is not a "well built car" I've had numerous problems with mine either I'm really unlucky (I bought the car used with 60,000 miles on it) or its a piece. I can understand maintance on a car I had a 1993 Ford Festiva my dad bought brand new in 1993 and it was all basic 1.3l (Mazda motor) and it had a Kia body, the only thing I ever replaced on that car besides maintance (Brakes,rotors,struts,spark plugs and oil changes) was the Computer witch was 125 bucks but that was when it had 200,000 miles on it and the original clutch. I just sold that car recently it had 280,000 miles on it and a new paint job looked great and got 1,300 bucks out of it.

With my Alero I've only had it for 8 months and I've replaced some miantance (Brakes and brake pads) New Calibers? Window motor and regulatorsssss and Lower Intake Manifold Gasket(leakin & has been fixed!!).My turn signals arn't working (Hazard light switch I think is the problem) and my security system is screwing up so bad I half to put my key nin my ignition for 10 minutes wait for it to go off and than I can start it. As for the trim around my front windshield I've coaked back on and for some odd reason everytime it rains I'm getting water in my passenger side floor board and it's not a windshield leak or a seal leak around any of my windows. Also something little but annoying probley an easy fix but ever since I put my rims on the low Tire pressure light has been on. Don't get me wrong the Alero is one sexy lookin beast and I love the way my car looks but man its starting to sound like a real piece.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:24 PM   #18
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

[quote=Mr_Reed;273548]
Quote:
Originally Posted by antichrysler View Post
So... again my car has let me down. I don't mean to rag on Aleros but this car is seriously a piece.QUOTE]

I agree, I've had some of the same problems as you with my Alero, I've come to the conclusion that the Oldsmobile Alero is not a "well built car" I've had numerous problems with mine either I'm really unlucky (I bought the car used with 60,000 miles on it) or its a piece. I can understand maintance on a car I had a 1993 Ford Festiva my dad bought brand new in 1993 and it was all basic 1.3l (Mazda motor) and it had a Kia body, the only thing I ever replaced on that car besides maintance (Brakes,rotors,struts,spark plugs and oil changes) was the Computer witch was 125 bucks but that was when it had 200,000 miles on it and the original clutch. I just sold that car recently it had 280,000 miles on it and a new paint job looked great and got 1,300 bucks out of it.

With my Alero I've only had it for 8 months and I've replaced some miantance (Brakes and brake pads) New Calibers? Window motor and regulatorsssss and Lower Intake Manifold Gasket(leakin & has been fixed!!).My turn signals arn't working (Hazard light switch I think is the problem) and my security system is screwing up so bad I half to put my key nin my ignition for 10 minutes wait for it to go off and than I can start it. As for the trim around my front windshield I've coaked back on and for some odd reason everytime it rains I'm getting water in my passenger side floor board and it's not a windshield leak or a seal leak around any of my windows. Also something little but annoying probley an easy fix but ever since I put my rims on the low Tire pressure light has been on. Don't get me wrong the Alero is one sexy lookin beast and I love the way my car looks but man its starting to sound like a real piece.

I'm sure you've done this, but have you tried to reset the tire pressure light?
Old 04-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #19
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
I wish I could help you but in response to Mr Reed

I have had 2 sensors go out and no mechainical problems.

Camshaft position sensor and o2 sensor.
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #20
antichrysler
GLS member

[quote=cavaliers60;273570]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Reed View Post

I'm sure you've done this, but have you tried to reset the tire pressure light?

I haven't actually tried that. It didn't even occur to me. Is there some glitch that i'm not aware of?