Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 03-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
Rouseman
GX Member

Rouseman is on a distinguished road
How much boost?

Hey all. How much boost realistically do you think our engines (la1) can handle stock? I just did a tear down to the block and rebuilt the engine top end. 69003 miles on it.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
4-5 lbs that's about it.. any more then 5 im sure you'll blow it.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.

Last edited by sleepyalero : 03-16-2011 at 10:27 PM.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
im sure you can get it between 10-15 without any real problems if it is new internals. i think BJ had it around 15psi and the only thing that gave out was the tranny.

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
700 psi. When will people learn it's not solely about pressure, it's about power output.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr1m View Post
im sure you can get it between 10-15 without any real problems if it is new internals. i think BJ had it around 15psi and the only thing that gave out was the tranny.
Besides the whole broken piston.

Also good job building your engine with stock components, doesn't really count for anything..
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:24 PM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
10 on stock internals

Most people run 6 to 8 on stock LA1 motors

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #6
Rouseman
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
700 psi. When will people learn it's not solely about pressure, it's about power output.

Besides the whole broken piston.

Also good job building your engine with stock components, doesn't really count for anything..

Wow dam dude, didn't mean to offend you. It was just a question. Let me be clear my head gasket was leaking so i tore it down, went over everything/cleaned everything, and rebuilt it with new gaskets. I did not mean to imply that i "built" my engine with stock components. The reason i even mentioned the rebuild was so that people giving responses could take into account that all the gaskets are new. I appreciate all the advice i get from this forum and i try to give advice when i can help, but it seems like whenever anyone hints at trying something different around here, they get shot down and picked apart before any advice is considered.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
It's all about the tune, if you have a good tune, you can do 10-15psi no problem. I ran 12-13psi for two years with no problem, then I had a bad tune, and the motor went south....
Old 03-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #8
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
Before putting in a snail I'd do heads and a cam, it's going to end up being cheaper, you'll have more room in the engine bay than with a turbo, and you'll probably get pretty close to the same results.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:48 PM   #9
Rouseman
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucalare View Post
Before putting in a snail I'd do heads and a cam, it's going to end up being cheaper, you'll have more room in the engine bay than with a turbo, and you'll probably get pretty close to the same results.
i was thinking about a cam actually, is the only way to do it to pull the motor? i heard somewhere that you can pull it out if you take apart the passenger side interior?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #10
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
and you'll probably get pretty close to the same results.

your ignorance makes me laugh.......
Old 03-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #11
Lucalare
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouseman View Post
i was thinking about a cam actually, is the only way to do it to pull the motor? i heard somewhere that you can pull it out if you take apart the passenger side interior?

I'm thinking you'll have to lift the motor, because I think even if you take off the passenger side fender part of the unibody will be in the way, but maybe someone who's done it can chime in and prove me wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
your ignorance makes me laugh.......

With the right set up heads and a cam can give a significant boost to power. Maybe not quite as much as a turbo will, but it's a much easier and cheaper change to make, you probably won't need a tune, you don't have to build a custom exhaust manifold, you don't have to run a bunch of intercooler piping that there is NO room for. Also if you already have different heads it would be easier to add a turbo on top of that if you decide to do so later, you would just have to beef up the bottom end and probably get a different cam again.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:30 AM   #12
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
^ not need a tune after a cam? what the hell are you smoking?
Old 03-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #13
Lucalare
GLS member

I don't know much about cams, I've never done one or researched them much except on older style engines, but I know a good cam can make a big difference. I do know that with a turbo you for sure need a tune though.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:40 AM   #14
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
you need a tune with a cam too, most people put a cam in and dont tune it, which results to the car almost dying and sometimes it does die and or the car wont run at its best.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.

Last edited by sleepyalero : 03-17-2011 at 03:08 AM.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:26 AM   #15
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
Quote:
I don't know much about cams, I've never done one or researched them much except on older style engines, but I know a good cam can make a big difference. I do know that with a turbo you for sure need a tune though.

Then you need to be doing your research before you try giving performance advice
Old 03-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #16
kwhauck
2Screwy

Quote:
1. With the right set up heads and a cam can give a significant boost to power.

2 . Maybe not quite as much as a turbo will, but it's a much easier and cheaper change to make,

3. You probably won't need a tune,

4. You don't have to build a custom exhaust manifold, you don't have to run a bunch of intercooler piping that there is NO room for.

5. Also if you already have different heads it would be easier to add a turbo on top of that if you decide to do so later, you would just have to beef up the bottom end and probably get a different cam again.

1. Yes, I agree, a great set of heads is what makes an engine....

2. No, I disagree, heads, cam, tune, and everything is gonna come close to what a turbo setup would cost. I would probably say you could build the turbo setup cheaper if you shopped around.

Look here and you will see that a good build for heads and cam can add up quick.

3. No, I disagree, you definately need a tune. Even an alero with a CAI and exhaust can benefit greatly from a tune.

4. No, I disagree, there is room for intercooler pipes. I think several members have demonstrated that already.

5. Yes, I agree, for the most part. If you plan on adding a turbo later FOR SURE, then you can choose suitable heads and cam so you don't waste money on two different sets. You won't make as much power because they won't be the optimal heads, however you will still make ok power, and once you get the turbo in, they whole setup will really shine then.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #17
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Wow dam dude, didn't mean to offend you.
You're the only one who was offended. Hearing the same silly "how much boost can I run" question incessantly over the years takes its toll on you and eventually your responses become more firm.
Quote:
I did not mean to imply that i "built" my engine with stock components. The reason i even mentioned the rebuild was so that people giving responses could take into account that all the gaskets are new.
Not worth mentioning, unless you replaced your head gasket with a metal one such as provided by Cometic, along with ARP head studs. I went through 2 standard composite style head gaskets before using a multi-layer steel gasket and head studs that you can torque significantly more than simple torque-to-yield head bolts. Should've asked the advice before tearing it down so you could've used such a gasket and hardware..
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #18
Rouseman
GX Member

Dam. i didn't know you could get such gaskets. I know when i was at auto zone there were two choices, felpro and felpro "severe duty". i sprung for the severe duty set.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #19
kwhauck
2Screwy

Quote:
Dam. i didn't know you could get such gaskets. I know when i was at auto zone there were two choices, felpro and felpro "severe duty". i sprung for the severe duty set.

And you honestly though they had every option available.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #20
Rouseman
GX Member

No, i know better then that lol.