Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 04-16-2007, 06:29 AM   #1
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

Ghadsphi is an unknown quantity at this point
Blinker Problem after installing LEDs

This weekend I installed some 25led amber turn signal bulbs. I also have 4led amber markers. Everything was fine with the markers until I put in the signals. Now I get the rapid flash. I did a little researh and found out I need a load equalizer... But the one thing I can't figure out is if I need the 3 ohm or 6 ohm one. Anyone able to help with this?
Old 04-16-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
mrmike
GL Member

mrmike is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought 25 led bulbs and 6 ohm resistors from superbrightleds.com and they worked great. You only need resistors for the signal lights, so if you do the front and back you only need 4 resistors. I got rid of my bulbs though because they are useless in the daylight. They just look like a tiny dot at a distance and most other drivers probably won't notice when you signal. They were nice at night though.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
strtrydr
Premier V.I.P. Member

strtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond reputestrtrydr has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to strtrydr Send a message via MSN to strtrydr Send a message via Yahoo to strtrydr
I dunno which one you would need but I dont have that problem although I have the 4 led marker lights and sliverstar turnsignals so maybe that is the difference. I do however have the Hazard Switch problem though
strtrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
LED's flash at a slower rate, you'll need a flasher offset thingy to correct the flash rate, but now you'll need to replace all the TS bulbs with LED's

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
steve-o
Canadian... Eh?

steve-o is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to steve-o
all you need is a 6 ohm resistor from any electronics place like radio shack, wire it into you signal light wire, and bingo, flashing normal again. the reason they do this is because the LEDs use far less power causing less resistence which makes the car think you have a bulb out. So instead of wasting you money on a "load resistor kit" or what ever they are, spend the 2 dollars and just by resistors.

edit: also if you LED bulbs are like these ones, then you won't have any issue at all with visibility during the day. These are the ones I got, and they work great.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-3157-Amber-18...QQcmdZViewItem

02 Alero - ecotec - 5 Spd - Springtech springs - KYB GR2 struts - CAI - Sacchi
S1 lightweight 17s - Eclipse CD5435 - Sirius radio - 6000K HIDs - LED markers

Last edited by steve-o : 04-16-2007 at 09:01 PM.
steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
all you need is a 6 ohm resistor from any electronics place like radio shack, wire it into you signal light wire, and bingo, flashing normal again. the reason they do this is because the LEDs use far less power causing less resistence which makes the car think you have a bulb out. So instead of wasting you money on a "load resistor kit" or what ever they are, spend the 2 dollars and just by resistors.

edit: also if you LED bulbs are like these ones, then you won't have any issue at all with visibility during the day. These are the ones I got, and they work great.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-3157-Amber-18...QQcmdZViewItem

If using those replacements for the 3157 bulbs, does a resistor is needed or they are goin to work ok. Second question, if those needs a resistor anyways, is there some bulbs like those that don't require one?
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
try to wiggle the emergency light button that usually messes up the blinkers too

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
steve-o
Canadian... Eh?

steve-o is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to steve-o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinalero View Post
If using those replacements for the 3157 bulbs, does a resistor is needed or they are goin to work ok. Second question, if those needs a resistor anyways, is there some bulbs like those that don't require one?

no they still require a resistor for them not to blink fast, and I dont know of any LED bulbs that have the resistor built in, the resistor is some what large, and I don't think it would be able to fit into a bulb.

here is a like that helped me out a lot: http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showt...=fast+blinking

edit: you need 2 6ohm 10 watt resistor to be more specific, one for each side.

02 Alero - ecotec - 5 Spd - Springtech springs - KYB GR2 struts - CAI - Sacchi
S1 lightweight 17s - Eclipse CD5435 - Sirius radio - 6000K HIDs - LED markers

Last edited by steve-o : 04-17-2007 at 06:56 PM.
steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote