Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 04-09-2007, 10:01 PM   #1
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

Ghadsphi is an unknown quantity at this point
Problem installing leds.

Today I was installing some LEDs to replace the cubby light. I decided to use 4 of them so I wouldn't need a resistor, I wired them all in series, they're all definatly + to - . But no go. I don't have a voltmeter unfortunatly since that would make troubleshooting too easy. But I'm pretty sure all the solder joints are fine. Did I put too many in series? Should I split it down to 2 per series?
Ghadsphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
what color?

If its red, your gonna need 6 in series to light up. You might have burnt up those 4 trying to do that. (red's are infamously 2.6V)

If blue, then your right w/ the 4. Double check to make sure one of them isn't reversed.... and also try reversing your wires. I've put power on the ground a few times.... just stupid mistakes, that drive you nuts w/ LEDs
cherrington17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

They're blue.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:08 PM   #4
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

Package says 3mm Ultra Bright Blue LED 15
Old 04-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #5
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
ok. look straight down at the top of them. you should be able to see a small reflective disk. If the disk, yellow/white/gold ish they are working fine, you wired something wrong. If its black, that led is dead in the water, and needs to be replaced.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:34 PM   #6
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

Lol, that's going to be a little tougher than it sounds, I got excited and glued them in before testing them. I guess I'm going to head over to my pops and swipe his multimeter...
Old 04-09-2007, 10:36 PM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

thats only really gonna help with checking the power running to your contacts. (making sure its 12V)

You can't really check continuity on them, because they are diodes. If you GET continuity... thats bad.

But i guess if your not getting 12V that would be your first problem.

And yes, you just learned a VERY important first step of any led project. TEST BEFORE YOU MOUNT! haha. ask sat about that one. I'm sure he's profanly yelled about as many times as i have.... ah well. Its a rookie mistake. We all start somewhere. lol
Old 04-09-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
as Cherry said, man, testing is key! Hope you get your problem figured out, shame to burn out 4 good LEDs.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:18 PM   #9
alerocar01
V.I.P. Member

alerocar01 is an unknown quantity at this point
burned out 3 once don't know why but good thing i had back-ups

DO WORK
alerocar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:40 PM   #10
cherrington17
Gone

pfft. i've BLOWN UP 16, at once. scared the shait outta me. as soon as i connected power, i heard... sssssSSSSSSSS POP POP POP POP! jumped outta my chair.

to this day, i have no idea what was wired to blow that many... but it was wrong, thats for sure.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:03 AM   #11
Satsuriku
V.I.P. Punching Bag

Satsuriku is an unknown quantity at this point
cherry is sooo right!!! ALWAYS test b4 installing. i got carried away with my LEDs in my wheel well, killed a fuse without even knowing it and NONE of my LEDs worked.......its all about trial and error......and the error will happen and they suck badly b/c they will happen at the worst possible time, for me, it was 2:00am at -10 degrees C..............ya that was fun!!

also, in my opinion, install them with the resistors......so much easier and you wont run the risk of burning them out so quickly due to the trial and error cause you'll find yourself without LEDs unless your like cherry here and carry like 100 of each damn color at all times!!
Satsuriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:18 AM   #12
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

Looks like I probably have a bad solder joint... that or I just couldn't see them in the light. Turns out I only get about 10.5 volts when the engine isn't running so they barely light up then.
At first test I wasn't getting continuity, turns out after a lil wiggling it that it's working again. Guess I'm going to let my poor work slide for now since my cheap soldering iron is just that, cheap... I've used it twice now and it seems to have burnt off half the tip lol.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:25 AM   #13
Satsuriku
V.I.P. Punching Bag

Satsuriku is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghadsphi View Post
Looks like I probably have a bad solder joint... that or I just couldn't see them in the light. Turns out I only get about 10.5 volts when the engine isn't running so they barely light up then.
At first test I wasn't getting continuity, turns out after a lil wiggling it that it's working again. Guess I'm going to let my poor work slide for now since my cheap soldering iron is just that, cheap... I've used it twice now and it seems to have burnt off half the tip lol.

dude, ive been using a $2.00 soldering iron and $1.00 solder, lol trust me man, save yourself the effort and just use resistors man. that way you can actually light up your leds with your car shut off
Satsuriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:40 AM   #14
cherrington17
Gone

I haven't really seen a problem either way... series or parallel (no resistor vs resistor) but if there is a problem w/ one of them, they all go. With the way you have it setup.

and yeah, i've been using 3 different soldering irons (3 different temps, but i have no idea which is which till i use it) and a varying degree of solder. some new, some 10 years old. That doesn't matter too much....