Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 03:05 PM   #1
havik

NOTE: These are discussions transferred over from the previous forum. If you have a unique CAI topic, please feel free to start a new thread.

CAI's discussed in this post discussion:
- Induction dynamics
- Mantapart ECOTEC 2.2 TC Air Intake
- APOC (only 2.4L ??)
- Weapon R

Discussion begins
Quote:
anybody know what and where I can get a cold air intake for my alero 2.2 ecotec? and would it make a big difference? thanks

Quote:
the only two I know of are:

Induction Dynamics
http://www.induction-dynamics.com/ecotec.html

Mantapart
http://www.mantapart.com/ecotec.html

yes they will more improve your performance a bit.

Quote:
sweet thanks!

Quote:
they are for a Sunfire, Cavalier, Grand Am will it still fit?

Quote:
If it's for the Cavy I doubt it would fit. I havent compared the two engine bays. The only one that would be questionable is the Mantapart one as they do not specify what body it is for. More than likely for the Cavy.

The ID has one for a GA and that one will fit the Alero.

Quote:
ID?

Quote:
ID - Induction Dynamics

Quote:
the Induction Dynamic CAi is for the J-body cars. All they did was measure everything and to make sure it would fit. Even the instructions are for installing on a j-body. In most cases if it (CAI or WAI) fits a j-body it will fit ours

Quote:
How about a cai for the 2.5 DOHC...?

Quote:
You mean 2.4 DOHC right? Induction Dynamics again has a CAI for the 2.4, and so does APOC (American Performance of Colorado) a sponsor of these boards (I think anyways... havnt seen springs post in ages), just click the APOC banner at the top of the page if you go with them...

Oh right, apparently APOC has very long wait times... like 3 months or something...

Quote:
yeah, for the 2.4...so which brand do you guys recomend?

Quote:
well I have the Induction Dynamics CAi and I am very happy with it. APOC seems to look and work great.

So I would say either one. They are 2 best ones out there.

Quote:
hey olds...how much did your ID cai cost you?

Quote:
$263 with shipping.

Quote:
I have one of the few APOC CAI and I love it even silent said the thing was huge (hehehuh). Not sure what the wait time is, if any, at present.

Quote:
check out my pics and see how i relocating my battery if you do that get yourself a cold air for a 99-00 civic dx and a aem bypass valve with a little bit of shaving it will work right know i have on my car and it sounds damn good now if waiting for my throttle body and headers to come in next week...... any question ask....

Quote:
Or if you really are impatient... find a shop that specializes in turbo setups (custom style) they can fabricate one for you as well..

Quote:
weapon r has the cai for the 2.2 ecotec it works on my car.....i will sell you mine cuz` iam goin with the rk sport cai.......fyi......the cavy`s and our cars are the same under the hoods.....fyi.....

Quote:
and FYI j-bodys and n-bodys still have different engine compartment dimensions and how certain things are placed... i.e. fuse boxes, brake resoivoirs etc..

Quote:
has anybody seen ID's new intake manifold for the 2.4? Christ... it's HUGE! you have to relocate your battery because it gets in the way... pretty awesome looking though I bet in a built engine it shows great gains

Old 11-19-2003, 12:43 AM   #2
havik

CAI's discussed:
- RKSport (2.2L Cavalier fits??)

This discussion takes place from Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:11 pm to Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:27 pm

Quote:
Well I got my intake finally.... only a 3 week wait. I installed the intake however I had to borrow a clamp from Lowe's hardware store, because it seems rk sport shorts you the clamp which holds the plastic hose on the throttle body. The intake looks, and works great on the alero. Definitely suggest it as a cheap mod.

Quote:
Cool.Â;-)
How much was it shipped?
Is it a warm air or cold air intake??

Quote:
yeah, ^ do tell

Quote:
it was 215.96$ shipped.....its warm air but made a hell of a difference..... I raced my friends cougar which has 170hp and beat him and the only mods i have are exhaust intake and TB so it made a huge difference

Quote:
I got it for $195 shipped to canada.. so be sure to check out for better deals. RKsport will price match whatever you can find out there..

Can't wait for it to come in!!

Quote:
well my rksport intake should be coming with the ecotec carbon fiber dress up kit

Quote:
the carbon fiber dress up kit?

Hope that didnt cost a whole lot extra

Old 11-19-2003, 01:07 PM   #3
havik

CAI's discussed:
- Weapon R
- AEM
- RSM Racing

Note: There is quite a bit of 2.4L CAI talk, but some relevant 2.2L CAI information is here.

Discussion begins:
Quote:
I have a 2000 alero with the 2.4 what is the cheapist intake that will work for my application. I found a intake on ebay for the sunfire 2.2 doesn't say ecotec or not I was wondering if any body new if it fit.

Quote:
you need an intake specifically made for the 2.4L.

Quote:
you can make your own

Quote:
cheapest would be either weapon r or AEM

Quote:
I got a cold air intake from Induction Dynamics and it was pretty pricy, but it was all that I could find for the 2.2 Ecotec engine. No one else is producing intakes for the new Ecotecs yet, that I could find besides Induction Dynamics

Quote:
I got mine from Pro Car Parts off eBay for $40. They are $70 on the site and I have a chrome tube not white. One of these days I will dump the filter that came with it and put a K&N cone filter on it.

http://www.procarparts.com/store-detail.as...L%2DXX24%2DCISX

Theres a few on eBay now from $27. Do a search there using "2.4L"

Quote:
I found some on ebay but I lack the credit card to get one if they to checks I would get one the but I'll probably get the AEM intake.

Quote:

Quote:
I got a cold air intake from Induction Dynamics and it was pretty pricy, but it was all that I could find for the 2.2 Ecotec engine. No one else is producing intakes for the new Ecotecs yet, that I could find besides Induction Dynamics

First of all, they've got the 2.4

Second there are atleast 4 different intakes out for the ECO. You just have to look under cavalier/sunfire on the suppliers sites.

Quote:
RSM Racing also makes a inatke for the 2.2 ecotec intakes are easy to find hard to find the right one for the money you have.

Old 11-19-2003, 01:09 PM   #4
havik

Discussion description: CAI without a Cat-back exhaust

Quote:
will therer be any diffenence if I don't get the cat-back exhaust right away?, will it still ad about 10 horse power?

Quote:
I mean just using the stock exhaust

Quote:
lol.. there will be a slight difference.. not a 10hp difference though.... you can definently tell the difference.. buts it not like your going to be pushing g-forces... even with a new exhaust..

Quote:
it's just an intake man.. don't expect to be hittin 14's or nothin... just get it bolt it up and go onto the next mod till you're done.

Old 11-19-2003, 01:16 PM   #5
havik

Discussion description: CAI's and cold weather

Quote:
Hi everyone I've a cai and I want to know if I should remove the cai in winter because the air is too cold (here in Quebec sometimes It's -30C). Some peoples told me that... Is it true? Thx

Quote:
naw colder the better. What might happen is all the snow, slush, salt, etc might get kicked up on the filter. And I stress it MIGHT get kicked up on the filter

Quote:
yeah, the colder the better...

Quote:
If you have a good K&N airfilter the water etc shouldnt be a problem either, just clean it up every now and then

Old 11-19-2003, 01:18 PM   #6
havik

Discussion description: cold air to warm air

Quote:
is the cold air intake better than the warm air intake? what will give the best horse power?

Quote:
you want a cold air intake, a warm air is a total waste of money

Quote:
Cold air intake is like Catherine Zeta-Jones. (Makes nice pretty noises and looks good...not to mention the, uh...performance increase... )
Warm air intake is like that girl in your fifth grade class who ate paste.

Yes, I'm in an odd mood right now...

Quote:
ok go for the CAI, now the more air that goes in the more that goes out right....
so what do I get... for that ? just a new tail pipe? OUCH!

Old 11-24-2003, 07:03 PM   #7
geedog66

heres a pic of my custom cai

Old 11-25-2003, 12:45 PM   #8
havik

Looks nice :thumbsup:

Here's the obligatory questions :rolleyes:

Cost? How long to make? All materials used?

There is a thread in the How To section on how to build a CAI. If you did anything different please feel free to post.

Old 11-26-2003, 12:11 AM   #9
AleroSS

YES US WINNIPEGERS WANT DETAILS!!! lol, we are very anxious, and it looks very sweet btw...

Old 11-27-2003, 08:26 PM   #10
geedog66

the spw cai is for a 99-00 civic dx it was cut with a hacksaw aem bypass valve and i relocated the battery with the original battery frame and a piece of wood to put the cai on the car it took me 1 hour and to relocate the battery another 1 hour to do it wasnt that hard if you have help

Old 11-28-2003, 12:55 PM   #11
havik

Did you relocate the battery out of necessity or because you wanted to? I've seen CAI's with the battery left alone and wonder why you choose to do it this way? I got no beefs, just curious . BTW - do you have an estimation of how much all the materials cost?

Old 11-30-2003, 01:27 AM   #12
shockz

Quote:
Originally posted by geedog66@Nov 25 2003, 12:03 AM
heres a pic of my custom cai
How much better is the performace for your car now?

Old 12-01-2003, 05:44 PM   #13
dopey

nice work......

<<<< made another postive comment

Old 12-02-2003, 11:35 PM   #14
geedog66

i relocated the battery for more flow less bends in the pipe. as far as performance goes a stock v6 alero with only a k&n cone filter used to beat me when all i had was a cat back exhaust now that i got the cold air he stands no chance against me i slowly pull away from him... my recent install was that rksport header that they have for the cavalier that made a very big difference now i just leave my friend with the v6 alero now also with exhaust

Old 12-03-2003, 12:52 AM   #15
dopey

the header will bring u close to a v6........... but i find it abit hard to believe u can "smoke" a v6 still

Old 12-04-2003, 01:16 PM   #16
havik

Probably exagerating a bit, unless there's mods geedog's not telling us about. btw-once you're ready, post a review about the header.

Old 12-04-2003, 08:03 PM   #17
geedog66

ok you dont believe me bring a v6 alero down to columbus georgia and ill show ya what my car can do.... or you can even watch me race my friend to prove what my car can do...........

Old 12-08-2003, 04:59 PM   #18
havik

No need for this, do it in another forum section.

Closed Thread