Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Paint and Body Work

Old 11-12-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
xrracer72
GX Member

xrracer72 is on a distinguished road
Rustttttttttt

Hey I know you probably get this a lot but I was just wondering where you would get the new sheet metal to repair the Alero coupe's quarter rust. I haven't taken the side skirt off to see how bad it is yet. Could ya tell me how to take off the side skirt also? and if you have time could you maybe tell me if there is a way to help prevent rust after the fix because I heard that the rust was caused by poor drainage. Maybe drill in drain age holes? It is in the typical psopt low on the quarter panel.

Thanks

Riley
xrracer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:33 AM   #2
KenshinZero
GLS member

KenshinZero is an unknown quantity at this point
I actually had holes from that, I tried to bondo a small part of it, but i suck at it, so I opted for caulk, lol. it did work and keeps out moisture, its not pretty, but its not in a place you would see often. the side skirts have 2 clips on both ends (front and back) inside the wheel wells, then there are maybe 6 or 7 clips under the car, I realy dont know the exact amount, just a guess.
KenshinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
xrracer72: I am not great with rust, but you can use a product called Por-52 (i think thats what its called, you might want to search it) to seal the rust and stop it in its tracks. Other than that, others will chime in.

Last edited by Naich : 11-12-2009 at 02:42 PM.
TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
as far as getting the side skirts/rocker moldings off, theres i believe 6-7 push in type clips underneath the car, and one inside each wheel well that need to be pulled out. once those are out, there are 9 or 10 clips holding it to the rocker panel area of the body. i think theres a special kind of tool you need, but another member said he used a pair of skinny scissors to compress them and pull them out. i didnt know about this and just pulled, and broke a few of them. once those are out the cover should just come right off.
as far as rust, it all depends on how bad it is. mine was pretty bad, but since its not visible i just covered everything with por15, following the directions on the container. i wouldnt use bondo, because from what ive heard, it tends to attract moisture and would cause more rust, but im not a professional. if youre still unsure, you could always get a professional opinion.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
to stop the rust from spreading you would want to clean out all the loose rust out of there and you can use Rust Encapsulator from Eastwood. It is good stuff. Obviously the right way to fix the rust problem is to cut out the section and sand blast it use Rust Encapsulator and then shape a new piece of metal and have it tig in.

Now the reason for this area rusting out is there is a gap in the lower corner of your wheelwell towards the driverside that is not fully sealed by the factory. so moisture gets inbetween the inner and outer and being there is no drain holes in the rockers it starts to rust.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
AZFire316
GL Member

AZFire316 is on a distinguished road
There's no rust under mine, but I did find that using the windshield washer was allowing water to get trapped underneath, so i just loosened the skirt so water could drain out.
AZFire316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
HazMatt24
GLS member

HazMatt24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFire316 View Post
There's no rust under mine, but I did find that using the windshield washer was allowing water to get trapped underneath, so i just loosened the skirt so water could drain out.

yeah, the only way you're going to find rust on a car out here is if it came from somewhere else.
1994 Chevy Suburban aka The Zombie Mower 4" Rancho suspension lift 2" body lift. 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Radial M/Ts 10000K HID 12" JL W3 Subs in custom box 1000W Alpine mono amp 1F capacitor 6.5" JL mids 4X6 Pioneers in dash 450W Alpine 4 channel Dynomax cat & exhaust
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT chameleon paint, Cadillac 22" wheels
HazMatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:03 AM   #8
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
lucky bastard
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:09 AM   #9
AZFire316
GL Member

AZFire316 is on a distinguished road
Thats the only thing i really love about living out here is the fact that you can actually buy a car and keep it as long as you like. (Barring theft or accident ofcourse)
AZFire316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:46 AM   #10
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
What about those "electronic" rust eliminators. Up here in Canada, Canadiantire sells them. They claim to stop rust from forming. Anyone have any experience, good OR bad?? I don't want any "well I can't see how it works", I would like to hear from someone with actual experience.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoBodyRepair1/AutoBodyRustControl/PRD~0477905P/CounterAct%2BElectronic%2BRust%2BProtection%2BSyst em.jsp
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #11
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
What about those "electronic" rust eliminators. Up here in Canada, Canadiantire sells them. They claim to stop rust from forming. Anyone have any experience, good OR bad?? I don't want any "well I can't see how it works", I would like to hear from someone with actual experience.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoBodyRepair1/AutoBodyRustControl/PRD~0477905P/CounterAct%2BElectronic%2BRust%2BProtection%2BSyst em.jsp

i want to know more, can you find out more? i'll be contacting Canadian tire for a unit if it really works
Old 11-13-2009, 09:04 AM   #12
a4d2a0m
GL Member

a4d2a0m is on a distinguished road
They have used the technology on mining and snow removal equipment for many years... It is also suppose to slow/stop advancment of existing rust.

a4d2a0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #13
undecided02
GX Member

undecided02 is on a distinguished road
I had this issue. if it is through rust like I had then do what I did and cut the metal out and rivet or weld in stainless steel, add some spot putty, sand and paint. No rust ever again.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:47 AM   #14
C_EICK

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4d2a0m View Post
They have used the technology on mining and snow removal equipment for many years... It is also suppose to slow/stop advancment of existing rust.

They use that technology in naval ships as well.

Last edited by C_EICK : 11-14-2009 at 02:50 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:41 PM   #15
xrracer72
GX Member

One of the main things I would like to know is what you guys do to handle your rust issues. and also where are you guys getting your new metal. are you forming your own, getting repair panels, or junkyard panels?
Old 11-16-2009, 12:13 AM   #16
KenshinZero
GLS member

KenshinZero is an unknown quantity at this point
there is a company that makes replacement parts for our cars, Sherman. I dont know if they have 1/4 panels and all that, but I know they make replacement bumpers mirrors, ext...
the site VVVVV
http://www.shermanparts.com/

Last edited by KenshinZero : 11-16-2009 at 12:15 AM.
KenshinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #17
xrracer72
GX Member

Thanks for the help guys. Seems the N-Body crowd is a lot more mature than the DSM crowd lol