Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 11-18-2003, 05:02 PM   #1
havik

>> GETRAG <<

Quote:
Anybody here wit the Getrag do any upgrades yet? SPy i know you have, give us a review, anybody else???

I'm personally thinking either SPecIII or ACT Clutch, and a Fidanza Flywheel!

John if your reading this let me know if you can get any of it.

For all those that wonder why i put in the 2.4/2.2 section its cause the flywheel is engine specific.

Quote:
Spec III is pretty nice.. I duno to me it feels stock. Definately has more grip, but definately easy to ride in. 6 pluck/puck/schmuck ceramic disc... much love >>

No flywheel changes except 2lbs going somewhere the way of hte buffalo

Quote:
depends on how radical you want to get. I'm planning on just swapping a 282 with quaif LSD and a few other "goodies" in once my warranty expires since it will hold more power (its been thoughly researched to be the case spy ) and will have better gearing

Quote:
Hahn Racecraft runs a turbo'd ECOTEC in a sunfire that runs low 12's and has a SPEC Stage IV clutch, and a quaife LSD (with new, stronger spider gears, absolutly the weakest point of the getrag), and aftermarket axles from driveshaftshop.com (rated to 500HP apparently... how they rate half-shafts according to horsepower and not to torque doesnt make any sense to me but whatever)

So basically 3 things for the tranny and they say the rest of it is holding up really well... although our cars have a good 3-400lbs on the j-bodies so we might be a bit tougher on them with the extra girth

Off-topic but... 12.12 @ 117 is their record with 24.5x9 race slicks... pretty damn good eh? It has a fairly stock engine, aftermarket pistons and rods I believe but completely stock cams, head, and valvetrain, and a full exhaust 3" exhaust system on a 2800lb car, they were running 20lbs of boost and a 50 shot of N20... speaks quite a bit for the ECOTEC I think

Quote:
Fast eddie - Yeah i was wanting to something like that but i figure thats money for my motor. Maybe one day.

yeah those numbers are down right scary.

Did more research, ACT doesn't make a clutch for the Getrags, yet!
Clutchmasters won't holdup to the amount of boosted desired, if so $$$ is too high.
SPec III is looking more and more appealing.

Hey SPy who'd you get the SPec from? Karo? how much did you end up paying? and was it complete with throw out bearings and all?
Jeez so many questions, SPy hows the motor? if i remember correctly 2.4head still, right? but with 2.3 parts inside and out

Quote:
If you plan on running serious boost I'd consider the Spec IV clutch so you can be sure it wont be slipping on ya

Quote:
Just FWIW, the most expensive piece of doing what I laid out above would be the LSD. the tranny itself can be picked up for <$400. just a thought if you want to takeon the build up in stages as ur budget allows

Quote:
yeah i hear ya but 400 is gonna go towards my pistons or my conrods, or the P&P of the head. see, so i'd figure maybe down the road.

i thought about the spec IV but damn i want a streetable daily driver!!! one of my boys has a 98 hatch with a fully built motor, bad as hell, he running around the same stage clutch but from clutchmasters, i drove it, too much!!! yeah it bites but not what you really wanna do every day. I've seen a lot of the J-body guys running pretty high boost on the Spec III's so as soon as i find a decent price for it i'm game! just picked up a Fidanza flywheel though

and bout to get some Eagle conrods

yet for some reason my bank account is saying oh well

Quote:
Really? I heard the Stage IV clutch really wasnt that bad.. .hrm

Quote:
How much perf will one notice outta just pnp'ing? Basically stock engine, with an intake....

Quote:

Quote:
Hey SPy who'd you get the SPec from? Karo? how much did you end up paying? and was it complete with throw out bearings and all?
Jeez so many questions, SPy hows the motor? if i remember correctly 2.4head still, right? but with 2.3 parts inside and out.
I got the SPEC clutch from Karo. Check their website for price. http://carcustsoms.net included everything I needed, throwout bearing, pressure plate, clutch, tool everything. Ceramic disc is quite interesting.

The motor definitely is stronger. Still a 2.4head, but a ported to all hell 2.4L head, and 2.3 parts littered all over the place.

This motor the way it is, is definitely good. I will let you know that there is no power under 2500rpm... Like I drive down there haha!