Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-28-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
JunkProwler
GX Member

JunkProwler is on a distinguished road
Failed Emissions Test

First of all, when I got home I noticed on my printout that the tech had entered my car as an Intrigue with a V6, while my car is an Alero with a 4 banger. IDK if that would make me fail but worth mentioning.

Here's my results:

...........................40 km/h...........................Idle

................Limit......Reading......Result.... .......Limit........Reading......Result

HC ppm........58..........21...........pass....|..... .150............7...........pass
CO %.........0.32........0.00.........pass....|...... 0.7...........0.00..........pass
NO ppm.......435.........2036........FAIL....|......b lank........blank.......blank
RPM.........................1386........Valid..... |.....................461.........Valid
Dilution.....................11.90.......Valid.... .|....................9.60........Valid

To the side theres various emissions controls systems, only one checked for my car is the gas cap pressure test which passed. The EGR result says N/A which I dont understand b/c my engine has an EGR. The tech also said my car is running a bit lean. FYI there is no downstream O2 sensor on my car, and its leaking exhaust close to the engine.

Normally I would just get it fixed but I'm laid off and cant afford it. I also can't find work if my car isn't on the road. If I spend $150 on a diagnostic, and it turns out fixing it will cost more than $450 (diagnostic cost included) I can get a conditional pass. If, after the diag, it will be less than an additional $300 I will be forced to pay that additional money. I'm pretty much effed here, so any advice or info would be appreciated. If I have to get the diag I'll borrow some money from my father, if possible, but theres no way I can pay the $151 - $449 if they can fix it for under the conditional pass amt.
JunkProwler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:09 AM   #2
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
why no downstream o2?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
i'd bring it back, and say it's an Alero, with the four banger
Old 11-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Vic28
GL Member

Vic28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Vic28
Its funny.. one year they put my Alero as a V6 when I had a Eco swap on a 99 and it passed. The Testing station are too lazy to open a hood.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic28 View Post
Its funny.. one year they put my Alero as a V6 when I had a Eco swap on a 99 and it passed. The Testing station are too lazy to open a hood.

And they are too dumb to notice its the sound of a 4 banger...
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
A57
GL Member

A57 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to A57
well swap out your plugs not getting a good burn...

IMO pick up some E3 dimond fire should help you there and put in some lucus fuel cleaner ... and run some 94 octane... also if you havent change your airfilter.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
JunkProwler
GX Member

JunkProwler is on a distinguished road
Is the emissions standard the same regardless of engine type? I had no idea, but figured if it was different he would have put more effort into identifying my car (their log book had all my info as well) debadged or not.

I get two more tests at half price, so I'm going to do some more reading and try to squeak past. Plugs and high octane sounds like a good idea. He says its lean anyway so maybe premium will even it out in addition to lowering combustion temp. My air filter is a WAI from ebay; I'll give it a cleaning.

Does anyone know definitively if a 2.2 has EGR? I've been googling to answer that Q with no success but I'm pretty sure i've seen a hose under the hood that goes to the intake manifold area. Not very car savvy, as you could guess. Thanks lads!
JunkProwler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
a4d2a0m
GL Member

a4d2a0m is on a distinguished road
I am glad I dont need emissions testing where i live.... But I have heard of fuel additive that "gaurantee" passing emissions... maybe a possability??

a4d2a0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkProwler View Post
Does anyone know definitively if a 2.2 has EGR?

Not in the Alero...

The only Aleros with EGR are the early 99 2.4s and all the 3400s.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
misslindseysue
MINIac

misslindseysue is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to misslindseysue
Wow - you're running way lean. A downstrean O2 would help that out. So would fixing that exhaust leak. If you want to up your quote to help yourself out, make sure you've pointed both of those out.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #11
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
I'm thinking about it, is your alero a stock 2.2L or did you do a swap?

If the vin tells it is suppose to have an EGR (like cliff said, 2.4L 99 or every 3400) well that would explain why you failed the test. they test your EGR when you have none lol.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #12
alerogls001
GL Member

alerogls001 is on a distinguished road
I think the strangest thing is they should be telling you what is causing it to fail. Thats what they do here. I failed with my cat and when they told me I just had them do it- granted it was a muffler shop as well.... but still. An maybe you should tell them your car specs like when ordering a part if theyre that dumb: 2000... Oldsmobile.... Alero.... 2.2..... blue..... lol

MP Racing CAI, Pacesetter Exhaust, and PCM. High flow CAT. KYB GR2 struts. Canuck Motorsport Springs. Cross drilled rotors. Stern ST18 17" rims.
alerogls001 is offline   Reply With Quote