Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 11-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
HID diag help. please

so heres the deal. i bought some used HIDs from one of the guys on here. dont remember the brand but i remember that each ballast has a black box on the wires going to the light (the black box is NOT the ballast).

so the issue. when i first got the kit and had them installed i was like "DAMN". im noticing now that one bulb is a slightly different color then the other and the intensity feels not as bright after a few minutes of having them on. iv got the hids wired in series-parallel with a relay using battery voltage and OEM headlight wires on the drivers side as the switching circuit for the relay.

how can i tell if i have a bulb issue or a ballast issue?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
Are you only using the factory wiring, or are you using a wiring harness that feeds off the battery? When I got my first set of HID's, they were pretty good for a while, but then on of em started dimming, and flickering and ultimately the ballast just stopped working. I got my second set, and used a wiring harness, and have not had any problems at all

Done lost my mind
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
i made my own harness going from the battery to the ballast
Old 11-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
switch the ballast from right to left and see what happen...

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

well for the most part the intesity appears equialy dim. but i can atleast do that to see if its the cause for my color issue
Old 11-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
you bought a used setup, there is a possibility you found the reason why it was sold off to you...

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

so bringing this thread back. if been fighting with one side flickering a lot. i know hids will flicker when they dont have enough voltage. so does this mean im not getting enough voltage to the control box or is it possible to have risistance in the wires going to the bulb causing the lights to flicker?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
I've had my kit in for about a year now, with no problems at all. Occasionally, I'll have one bulb not fire up for some reason, but a quick turn off of the car and restart fixes the problem. As far as dimming, you could have ballasts going bad, but could also just be the bulbs going... Flickering usually indicates the bulb is going out. They use HID bulbs for intelligent lights, and they do the same before going out, both flickering and dimming.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

well for now problems fixed. i checked the passneger side power connector for the box while i could get it to flicker and had 11.7vs. compared to the drivers side and had the same voltage (cars off mind you). also when i pulled the connector a part it was full of water. apparently xtreme only puts weather seals on one side of the connectors and not the other. packed both sides full of dialectric grease and retested. still flickers. noted passenger side connector was warmer then drivers side. tried to get the terminals out but couldnt figure it out so for the time being i removed the connector all together and spliced the wire. been working flawlessly for now.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
I believe that black box is the ignitor. I know on the Raptor ballast (DDM) the ignitor is in the same housing as the ballast. On the slim digital ballasts, they have a separate black box which I'm almost positive is the ignitor.

As for the color problem, I'm not sure. Are they matching ballasts? I'm currently running one slim digital "9006" ballast and one slim digital "D2S" ballast. I have matching bulbs, but one is a VERY slightly different color than the other.

Your wiring harness should be fine as long as you used some decent gauge wiring.

Done lost my mind
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

for now i could care less about the color difference. once i get the rust fixed im looking into doing high/low/fogs hid. they are the same balasts. theres two boxes on each hid. one is a big silver one with the xtreme decal, the other is a little black box on the bulb side of the harness. so far so good though.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
I had an issue with my first HID kit getting water in it... Really sucks... I'd probably replace the ballasts with the DDM Tuning slim ballasts. Haven't had any issues, and they seem really water tight.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #13
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
^^ That's why I took my HID's off

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

well making progress. I swapped bulbs from left to right and my color issie swiched with it. Last week ordered new bulbs from xtreme and ill continue to use the same balests untill one of the gives out. When i upgrade high beams ill give ddm a try and go from there. So tonight my bulbs arived (8000ks) and hooked them up. Looked great except one side litterly changes colors as if a switch was turned on and then goes out after 3 switches. Swapped bulbs left to right again and it followed so iv left a message and hopfuly will get this resolved tomorow
Old 02-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #15
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

Probably just a bad bulb. That happens... To be honest, I'd go with DDM tuning.... I know it's been said before, but they really are better to deal with.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #16
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

oh im sure they are and when i go to buy a kit ill go to them next. I just cant afford a complete kit right now and i didnt really want to mix and match brands. Looked like ddms connectors were different from xtremes too. And iv got to have a bad bulb because i put the same bulb on two balests and had the same problem on both.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #17
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

yeah, it's just a bad bulb... I got one of those on my HID projector lights on my bike, but can't seem to find replacements for them....
Old 02-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #18
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

well i FINALLY got a bulb bank tonight... mothaeffer did the exact same thing. swapped bulbs from one side to the other and still did it!. seems to have ironed itself out at this point however... one more issue and its all going in the garbage and ill be visiting ddm.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #19
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

lol that's so weird...
Old 02-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #20
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

im honestly not doubting i got sent the same bulb back. at one time it has a "two in-two out" harness and you can see where they cut the grommet off the harness but left parts of it still on the wires... then shipped it to me... "umm.... i still need the other harness a-hole. plus they didnt return my receipt... glad i copied that before sending it