Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 04-14-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
PappaSmurf
GLS member

PappaSmurf is on a distinguished road
Angel Eyes and HID's

Okay, so after abusing the search button like the red-headed step-child she is, I have an idea for angel eyes that might look good.
What if (like some members of this forum have done) I switch my inner trunk lights to be brake lights and put the circular angel eyes in the inner trunk light assembly to take the place of running lights? What do you guys think?
Also after doing research on HID's, I know that some of you guys have NOT put in projector lenses and some HAVE. I do know the difference it causes thanks to ya'lls posting informatiopn on that. My question is would the HID's not melt the headlight lenses over time due to the high heat output of HID's?
Just trying to get a feel for the car we all love and enjoy.
Thanks,
-Smurf-
PappaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:32 AM   #2
PappaSmurf
GLS member

Nevermind on the HID's

[quote=Spilner521;447267]HIDs in halogen housings are illegal. It's perfectly legal for manufacturers to put HIDs in reflector housings because those housings were designed to handle the amount of light HIDs put out.

When you take a housing designed for a halogen bulb and then throw in a HID bulb that's 3 times as bright, that's where you start having problems with glare, hot spots, etc.

Same thing with projectors, as Cliff mentioned. Projectors designed for halogens aren't meant to deal with the light output of HIDs.

I don't know if you've ever seen the different style bulbs for different housings. The D2S HID bulb is for a projector housing, since the projector has it's own cut-off shield inside of it.

The D2R bulb is for a reflector housing, and has a small cut-off shield on the bulb itself.

D2S_________________________D2R

After I posted I found this. However I believe it was Cherry that stated "HID's are not hotter, they just use the light more efficiently."
If this is the case then how can the degree of kevlin be explained? Isn't it the higher the kevlin the hotter the bulb, or just brighter the bulb?
Thanks,
-Smurf-
Old 04-14-2009, 01:56 AM   #3
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Degrees Kelvin is not a heat temperature but a color temperature in this respect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:00 AM   #4
PappaSmurf
GLS member

Cliff,
Thank you for the info. So I confer that the higher the degrees in kelvin, the brighter the color. Why is it that some sites that sell HID's say that their blue is only 10K while other sites state that their blue HID's are 20K or 25K?
Old 04-14-2009, 02:03 AM   #5
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Nope in fact the higher the color temperature, the lower the lumens in most cases.

Really, 4300-5000°K is the optimal light output and color temperature for visibility. Even though many people think it's not blue enough in appearance.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:06 AM   #6
PappaSmurf
GLS member

Understand. I want the really (dark) blue ones. I just want my car to stand out from the crowd. If I needed the visibilty then I could turn on the high beams. LOL I just think that blue HID's shining along with dancing blue LED underbody glow would be cool as crap IMO.
-Smurf-
Old 04-14-2009, 06:48 AM   #7
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Bad99Olds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bad99Olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaSmurf View Post
Understand. I want the really (dark) blue ones. I just want my car to stand out from the crowd. If I needed the visibilty then I could turn on the high beams. LOL I just think that blue HID's shining along with dancing blue LED underbody glow would be cool as crap IMO.
-Smurf-

I would have to agree with you in that respect, and i really think you could get something together that would work along the lines of what you are thinking. also, i dont remember seeing you on here before, so welcome. and i LOVE that avatar. hahaha. i told my ex gf mid coitus to call me "big poppa smurf" lol.
Bad99Olds is offline   Reply With Quote