Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 05-23-2008, 05:07 AM   #1
Marrko
GX Member

Marrko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Marrko Send a message via Skype™ to Marrko
Dead engine!!!

As the title says my engine is dead... A mechanic at a shop sayd the main crankshaft (i believe that's how it's called) is effed up. (he said i need to take the whole engine out, part it out try fixing whats effed up and then put everything back in one piece). |||| I have a horible ticking sound in the engine, and as the rpm goes up the noise becomes louder and the engine stubles harder and harder... Because i'm in lithuania rebuilding the old engine cost's horrible money, so now i'm looking for an engine, with lower miles as posible. While browsing the internet i came accross with this:
http://engine-doctor.com/shop/produc...products_id=73
So now i want to ask you all qestion. is it a good choise or i should search for something else? it's the quad engine so what mods i'll have to do to maike it work insted of my stock 2.4l ?
another option i found was to order a new engine from GM (i don't care if it costs me 2800$ for the engine and about 600$ for shipping IM NOT SELLING MY BABY!!). What do you guys think?

Please help me ppl i'm in desperate need of help... I don't know what to do.. maybe someone knows where to look for a angine? please give me links... any help is apretiated... I count on you guys!!! I'm waiting for your posts....

The Black Devil ---> American Heart and Soul representer in Europe....
Marrko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:14 AM   #2
Marrko
GX Member

sorry for the triple post!!!! f$%$#%$ internet conection... please delete and leave one thread!!!

Old 05-23-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
more details, crankshaft doesn't tend to break on the LD9. did he say "main bearings, the ones around the crankshaft"?
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
ion, didn't you just order a cheap engine??
Old 05-23-2008, 07:54 AM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
I picked up a used engine with 30k miles for $125, yes. But I'm not sure if he can find a deal like that in Lithuania. I got mine off a local person.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
Marrko
GX Member

ion i don't know how to say that word in english i know that it has to do with shaft and the things around it, but i'm talking not about the litle camshafts but about the main one in the lower part of the engine...

Old 05-23-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

Right, it's the crankshaft. It might be that just your main bearings are spun:

So you'd need a new crankshaft or resurface it and get the correct size bearings. If that's what it is it shouldn't be too bad to replace.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:41 AM   #8
CBLOHM3400
Trying To Help

CBLOHM3400 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to CBLOHM3400
if he spun the beaqring in the journals block and bearing caps would have to be machined
Old 05-23-2008, 08:44 AM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

Yeah nevermind on the easy. The main bearings going causes a lot to fix.

It might just be a spun rod bearing, which goes on this engine quite a LOT. The #3 cylinder's rod bearing.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #10
Marrko
GX Member

would this be what i need?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-QU...spagenameZWDVW

Old 05-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #11
[ion] C2
636 whp

Talk to more mechanics. Is your mechanic SURE of what the problem is? Don't buy a bunch of parts without knowing for sure what's destroyed.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:30 AM   #12
Marrko
GX Member

whel i went to 3 mecaniks that are know to be the best ones in my city and all of them said the same thing... i gues i have to risk, to buy a new engine or take the car to the shop and let them part out the engine and look whats destroyed and ect.... crap one way or another all of this will cost me 2000 - 4000$

Old 05-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #13
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Well that sucks but if I were you I would get a new one (or remanfactored) one directly from GM. I would only do this if the warranty will be vaild in the EU. That you will have to look into, not too sure if the warranty is vaild outside North America.

This is probably you're best option. Your motor is not a rare one and can be easily replaced. If the motor was an older one (like for the 1960's per say) a rebuild is you're best bet.

Also keep in mind a core charge. They will charge you an extra amount of money and refund it after you send them back you're old motor

I'm planning on doing something similar when my engine goes

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #14
YALEROYNOT
GLS member

YALEROYNOT is on a distinguished road
found this site that ships world wide worth checking out

rebuilt.com/Oldsmobile_engines

engine core shipping (WW)
OLDS 2.4 146 4 T 97 Quad 4 DOHC $1,790 $500 $200-$600

and it says they ship to lit. too

build it to break it, if it breaks it was not built well enuff !
=OFF ALL NARCOTICS ADDICTION FREE PAIN MANAGEMENT FTMFW ."million of years ago the continents were connected...." THATS FUNNY THE EARTH IS ONLY ABOUT 6000 YEARS OLD AND THEY STILL ARE CONNECTED JACK*@# !!! click here www.chronicpainanonymous.org
YALEROYNOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #15
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
¨¨ I dont know if its the good engine over there. Theres no EGR since 2000 and Marrko has a 2001 I think.

at a point where you need to rebuild an engine, generally its better to just buy a new one and swap it in for a few more dollars.

You are going to pay a lot in labor just to rebuild the engine + the cost of broken pieces.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis

Last edited by Vinalero : 05-23-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #16
Marrko
GX Member

i know i want to buy a new engine and ect. BUT guys remember i'm from LITHUANIA, so this makes everything SO SO SO more complicated and the price off shipping is enormous (engine = alot of kg = allot of money). Basicaly for now i have found a mecanic that is going to try to rebuild my engine, he will take it all apart and see what damage is done at this time. I will keep you all updated... I need to repair my babay in 4 week, because just in 4 weeks i'm completing my secret project: I have ordered the AAS kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Soon i'll be the owner of the most modded alero in EUrope!!! i hope

thnx for your help guys!!!

Old 05-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #17
[ion] C2
636 whp

wahoo awesome
Old 05-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #18
CharleyO99Alero
GL Member

CharleyO99Alero is on a distinguished road

If it is found that you need a crankshaft kit, the one you posted above should be a decent one. I've used a couple of Standard crankshaft kits in the past for stock rebuilds without problems.

CharleyO99Alero is offline   Reply With Quote