Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 09-30-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

Whitetigerboi83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via MSN to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via Yahoo to Whitetigerboi83
Replaced 02 Sensor how do I Reset SVS light

Ok havent been on here in a while.. just had to replace the o2 sensor. ok, all good. got one off a junk car with about 30k on it. but how do i reset the svs light? the stealership reset it when they checked it and told me it was gonna be 345 dollars to replace. is there a way i can reset it with out the code checker or just to autozone or advance and have them reset it for me ?

thanks
adam
tigerboi83aim/yahoo
Old 09-30-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Autozone will do it
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
AsianAlero
GX Member

AsianAlero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AsianAlero
it should reset itself if everything is ok after a few trips and the computer passes its test
AsianAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
or disconnect the battery for 20+ min and it will clear codes.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alerored04 View Post
or disconnect the battery for 20+ min and it will clear codes.

sometimes it takes 3 hours to reset it on own
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
autozone and advance should be able to reset ur codes.
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:22 PM   #7
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via MSN to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via Yahoo to Whitetigerboi83
yeah i just unpluged the battrey for like well almost the whole day and it worked. just replaced that and the driver brake caliper which was not so much fun but all good.. anyone in the detroit area the parts galore at 5970 west warren detroit, MI has 4 or 5 aleros 2 that were fliped and i think 2 were torched still some good parts on them and the last was back end smashed in.. feel free to go check for parts . i prolly wont be going back for a few weeks. at least not for the alero yet
Old 09-30-2007, 10:47 PM   #8
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
They will go off on their own. once the car sees so many cycles of the car running properly, it will turn off the light. If it comes back on with the same code, you may wanna check the other O2 sensor..esp if you trusted autozone to check the code for you.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:06 AM   #9
SIUlero
GL Member

SIUlero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetigerboi83 View Post
Ok havent been on here in a while.. just had to replace the o2 sensor. ok, all good. got one off a junk car with about 30k on it. but how do i reset the svs light? the stealership reset it when they checked it and told me it was gonna be 345 dollars to replace. is there a way i can reset it with out the code checker or just to autozone or advance and have them reset it for me ?

thanks
adam
tigerboi83aim/yahoo

you say svs light (service vehicle soon). do you mean ses (service engine soon)? the o2 sensor would turn on the ses light and is the only one that we can check and turn off at autozone. if it is the svs light, it's something else on the car, not related to the engine....most often it's a wheel speed sensor, but that would turn on other lights too (trac cont off, and abs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleN0alero View Post
..esp if you trusted autozone to check the code for you.

that sounds kinda derogatory....are you calling us incompetant?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/CrazyOldsGuy
SIUlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:31 AM   #10
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

yes i mis typed the wrong svs/ses is the ses and now bank 1 sensor 2 is throwing a code and thats the second o2 sensor. gonna jack up the car and check wires today. make sure i got the upstream pluged in right and down stream one is not damaged with being on the bottom of the car... yeah advanced auto printed up a sheet for me saying no voltage or something or another.. so one more weekend working on the car :-( have been working on it and junkyarding for parts every weekend for almost 3 months.. and i'm gonna update cardomain sometime this week got spoiler on and had to replace rear passenger door..
Old 10-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #11
AJules
GLS member

AJules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyballs_69 View Post
Autozone will do it

would they reset my change oil light?
AJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:28 PM   #12
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJules View Post
would they reset my change oil light?

lol, all you have to do is pull off the cover to your fuse box (driver side), on the side of the dash, and push the reset button once, then push it one more time, then hold it down till the change oil light goes off. then your set....
Old 10-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #13
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIUlero View Post
that sounds kinda derogatory....are you calling us incompetant?

Well the one we took my buddy's accord to sure as hell didn't know what was going on. It said bank 1 sensor 2 and they sold him an upstream...we went through the hassle of changing it, light stayed on. So we took it back, they checked again, same code, new sensor...same light. So they recommended he go to this honda shop down the street. He paid 85 for a diag to get the same code and for the guy to say that it was the downstream. So we bought one of those, changed it, light went off. Changed back the upstream to the original...still no light.
When i told the guy that it seemed to me that the code is calling for the downstream and not the upstream, 1 guy told us there was only 1 O2 sensor and the other guy said that he's trained on his machine and he knows how to read it and doesn't need my help.
So, you...maybe not...the guys we talked to...incompetant as hell. There's only been 1 guy that i've talked to that actually knew his shit and he worked at advanced and since those few times I've talked to him, he's moved on.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:13 PM   #14
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleN0alero View Post
Well the one we took my buddy's accord to sure as hell didn't know what was going on. It said bank 1 sensor 2 and they sold him an upstream...we went through the hassle of changing it, light stayed on. So we took it back, they checked again, same code, new sensor...same light. So they recommended he go to this honda shop down the street. He paid 85 for a diag to get the same code and for the guy to say that it was the downstream. So we bought one of those, changed it, light went off. Changed back the upstream to the original...still no light.
When i told the guy that it seemed to me that the code is calling for the downstream and not the upstream, 1 guy told us there was only 1 O2 sensor and the other guy said that he's trained on his machine and he knows how to read it and doesn't need my help.
So, you...maybe not...the guys we talked to...incompetant as hell. There's only been 1 guy that i've talked to that actually knew his shit and he worked at advanced and since those few times I've talked to him, he's moved on.

I had a guy from autozone tell me my #1 cylinder was misfiring when it was the # 2 cylinder.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #15
SIUlero
GL Member

SIUlero is on a distinguished road
i guess that's something you'll have at every parts chain...some good stores, some bad. at mine, having past experience around cars is usually a prerequisite to be hired, but even that can fail sometimes...the newest guy at my store was working at o-reilly, so you'd think he has some kind of clue about the biz, but he's fairly clueless. problem is, you can't fire someone just for being dumb
http://www.cardomain.com/id/CrazyOldsGuy
SIUlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #16
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

yeah well next time i go to the junk yard i'll look at a few differnt aleros and grandams and the rest for the 6 that have the 2.2 in them get a down stream if i can i dont feel like buying brand new if i dont have too