Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 09-04-2005, 03:48 AM   #1
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

Whitetigerboi83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via MSN to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via Yahoo to Whitetigerboi83
Is the side trim only attached by double sided foam tape?
i know the trim from my vw had little clips holding it on but from what i can tell the alero trim is just tape... of so whats the best way to get it off even just temp..
heat gun slowly warming it up to peal it off and then can i just use contact paper backing(the non-glued side) to stick them to till i want them back on or sell them. just so they stay sticky
and anyone done this how does it look etc.etc. post a pict for me... i think i wanna take them off but i dont know casue i wanna get vinyl graphics for the sides and i dont feel liek cutting around the trim work but just removing it for now..... ......

let me know please
tiger
Old 09-04-2005, 08:41 AM   #2
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
good news: no clips. Just use some fishing line and Goo Gone.
bad news: You can't reuse the factory adhesive. it rips when you yank it off the car. if you want to put the molding back on (why bother? IMO) you'd have to buy some NEW adhesive. As for what brand/veriety/price, that'll be up to you.

as for the pics, just look for cars that have done *more than cleared corners* and they probably have taken off the door molding.

*not guaranteed, but should give you an idea of where to look.
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:57 AM   #3
flalero

I just pulled at my trim and it came right off. Check out my sig for a pic.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:59 AM   #4
Oldsmopimp

If you are carfull, you can keep most of the tape on the trim. You could then use wax-paper to keep it protected. Other than that, these guys got you covered on the info.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:13 PM   #5
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via MSN to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via Yahoo to Whitetigerboi83
well i was gonna be carefull in taking it off i have a lot of contact paper backing laying around that i was gonna use to stick it to since thats what its made for.. i guess i'll try soon prolly not this year i got a few other thing i wanna do first .. prolly led turn sigs moded into the side mirrors and a reflector since i cleared my heads.. and still workin on my spoiler and led light bar(blinker and Break). but i still think my car would be better with out the trim just one less think i have to detail around with a old tooth brush when i wax :P thats the only thing about all the alero and olds symbols i hate doing it brushing out all the wax build up.. other then that i been detailing my car every few days keepin the dust off and most of the scratches are gone.. got about 3 layers of wax on my car so far whoo hoo
Old 09-06-2005, 07:13 PM   #6
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

well i was gonna be carefull in taking it off i have a lot of contact paper backing laying around that i was gonna use to stick it to since thats what its made for.. i guess i'll try soon prolly not this year i got a few other thing i wanna do first .. prolly led turn sigs moded into the side mirrors and a reflector since i cleared my heads.. and still workin on my spoiler and led light bar(blinker and Break). but i still think my car would be better with out the trim just one less think i have to detail around with a old tooth brush when i wax :P thats the only thing about all the alero and olds symbols i hate doing it brushing out all the wax build up.. other then that i been detailing my car every few days keepin the dust off and most of the scratches are gone.. got about 3 layers of wax on my car so far whoo hoo
Old 09-06-2005, 07:32 PM   #7
2fst4u
[boosted 2.4L]

2fst4u is an unknown quantity at this point
besides the double post, sounds like you're headed in the right direction. good luck
2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:53 PM   #8
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

yeah dont ask me why it did that i'm confused myself :dontknow:
Old 03-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #9
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes this is an old thread, but I have a question pertaining to this. I was thinking of removing my Alero's side moulding. What I was thinking though, was, does the moulding help protect against door dings? If it does, I probably wont remove it. I dislike the moulding, but I dislike door dings even more.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
that's the point of it but it's not at the widest point of the car so it's useless
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #11
Valley olds
GLS member

Quote:
[ion] C2: that's the point of it but it's not at the widest point of the car so it's useless

Thats what it seemed like, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks for your quick response.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:18 AM   #12
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
and just another question relating to this... do you think if I remove them from my car that the paint hidden behind the molding for 8 years will be a brighter red than the rest of the side and door panel........ that's what bugging me....

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #13
Valley olds
GLS member

Quote:
guiguilandry: and just another question relating to this... do you think if I remove them from my car that the paint hidden behind the molding for 8 years will be a brighter red than the rest of the side and door panel........ that's what bugging me....

Yeah, you probably would run that risk. Maybe a nice buffing to the whole car will fix that though.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #14
NickAlero2000
GLS member

NickAlero2000 is on a distinguished road
Take a look at mine, I removed the mouldings...
sooooo much cleaner I think...
NickAlero2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #15
Midgear
on vacation

Midgear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Midgear Send a message via Yahoo to Midgear
I took mine off.. I sat next to the car for about 2 hours with a damn hair dryer, razor blade, sponge, hot soapy water, and a whooole lotta patience.

didn't scratch a thing and it all came off. that adhesive is a pain in teh arse.

Midgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #16
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
wow...took me maybe 15 minutes for all 4 doors, and then just had to use a heat gun to loosen up the stuff stuck on and use my thumb to peel it off. but it definately looks better with out it.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote