Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 09-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Increasing Mpg

I have the V6, and a WAI... i get approx 27.5 mpg currently w/ my driving back and forth to school.

any other mods i could do to improve this?

i change my oil regularly (full syn) and keep my tires inflated 35-40psi. i know going higher would help a little, but they are getting on the balder side, so i don't want to risk a flat, since i cant get to my spare (sub box is bolted down, ontop of it)
Old 09-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
buy a honda
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
har har har. i would if i could afford it.

nice comeback btw..... oh wait, no... cuz i just said that like 3 minutes ago. REEEAAAALLL original.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
That's why it's such a great comeback, it was just used for a totally different situation yet fits!

Change the spark plugs... Ditch the sub (and any unnecessary weight, if you want to get serious on this hypermiling)

Drive 55. If I did, I could get 45+ MPG, according to my HPTuners calculations.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #5
USsnipes
GX Member

USsnipes is on a distinguished road
i get terrible mpg, ususally around 20 mpg around the city.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

'noes another MPG thread turning into everyone talking about their personal MPG.

I get 30 city. Haven't tried highway much lately, when I went to pick up my rims/tires I tested my changes on the speed limiter so that killed my MPG.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

i'm going 65mph and get about 27mpg. I'm not planning on hypermiling... i don't want to get into the 40s, thats just ridiculous. so i'm keeping my subs and amps.... i didn't do all that work to get them in there, just to take them out!

just wondering if there are any mods that will improve performance/mpg that i haven't thought of.

does a bigger TB help that much? and new exhaust? not that i'm willing to do either until they fall apart, or i'm doing a major overhaul.

i guess the main question is, is there anything i can add, that'll pay for itself in a short period of time, like the WAI did?
Old 09-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

turbocharger
Old 09-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
cherrington17
Gone

how is that gonna improve my mpg??? i've always read that increasing your HP that much, robs mpg. its a trade off.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #10
freeze12
GL Member

freeze12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ha Ha.... Your crying now...wait till winter when they roll out the crappy reformulated gas! i went to the reservation today & spent $3.65 gal.for gas.
Where do You go to school...ECC?Also..it may be good to add some "Techron" or "Regain" to Your gas tank now and then.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
exhuast might help
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
how is that gonna improve my mpg??? i've always read that increasing your HP that much, robs mpg. its a trade off.

Every flow mod on a car improves MPG... as long as you're not laying it to the floor everyday. You're increasing the efficiency of the engine.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #13
WhiteV6
Wide Open Throttle

WhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiteV6 has a reputation beyond repute
1 psi of boost will increase MPG. Its the fast acceleration that decreases mpg but boost with a light foot will improve mileage.

3500 heads would improve your mpg as would a set of headers.
WhiteV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #14
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
the only reason some people say exhaust and power adders like that decrease MPG is b\c it makes them want to floor it more often. if you don't do that it WILL improve your MPG
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:54 PM   #15
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
or buy a pontiac vibe with a manual...i've been driving my dad's lately and even with my lead foot, i get around 36 mpg..

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #16
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Not 100% true, the addition of HP doesn't reduce MPG.

Before I modded my car, I got 32 MPG highway, if I was lucky, Now I can get 34.5 with an overloaded car

Some mods however, do reduce MPG. Cams, smaller gears, just to name a few, but intake and exhaust helps MPG.

Think about it, turning 2700 RPM or 2000 RPM at 70 MPH, which gets more MPG?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:21 AM   #17
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Go onto www.gassavers.org

I haven't seen any aleros on there, but I have seen bone stock 3.4's that are getting in the 36-37 range. Its all about how you drive it, and get a scanguage II, that gives you an instant digital readout of what mpg you are getting. http://www.scangauge.com/buy/index.shtml
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:07 AM   #18
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Some of those contradict each other

"avoid starting and stoping your engine"
"turn car's engine off if you're stopped for more than a minute"

My fav:

"turn car off and coast down hill"

Dangerous and illegal

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:38 AM   #19
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Some of those contradict each other

"avoid starting and stoping your engine"
"turn car's engine off if you're stopped for more than a minute"

My fav:

"turn car off and coast down hill"

Dangerous and illegal

Yeah, theres alot of crazy stuff that they do to get 50, 60, or even 70mpg. But the dude I saw on there getting 37 mpg out of a 3.4, wasn't doing anything extreme. Just modifying his driving habits. I've gotten upwards of 40mpg during regular driving, so it is in fact true, higher mpg can be accomplished without extreme measures.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:33 AM   #20
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeze12 View Post
Ha Ha.... Your crying now...wait till winter when they roll out the crappy reformulated gas! i went to the reservation today & spent $3.65 gal.for gas.
Where do You go to school...ECC?Also..it may be good to add some "Techron" or "Regain" to Your gas tank now and then.

crying, hell no. i'm getting better mpg then i ever have (except when i drove to ASS) just wondered what i should look out for, or keep my eyes on for future mods.

and i have never, and will never get rez gas. I've just heard too many bad things, and the fact that they are "above the law"

I go to DYC in downtown buffalo.