Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 04-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Crossovers and other equipment ??

Hey,

I have not added any additional equipment like EQs and Crossovers to my Monsoon + sub and Amp audio system. I' am running the stock Head Unit and front speakers. I changed out the stock 6x9s to SoundStream SST6.9s. and run a Kenwood 8105D 2 ohm amp into a 2 ohm MTX enclosure.

I' am getting ready to upgrade my Head Unit to a JVC Single din. the questions are...

1 : Should I replace my Monsoon amp with an aftermarket amp or is it good to go? What speakers does it power? Just the rear deck 6x9s ?

2 : Should I add any kind of filtering like Equalizers, Crossovers, factory sound processors or Signal Processors to the system?
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
from my understanding when you install an aftermarket HU, you have to bypass the monsoon amp.

not 100% sure but thats what a shop had to do for my HU when it was installed, they also did a sh*t job. didnt use connectors.. used electrical tape for everything. so i had a buddy go in and redo it for me the right way. im still new to installing radios haha. im more of a motor guy not electrical.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.

Last edited by sleepyalero : 04-26-2013 at 06:25 PM.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Well hell this car seems to want to suck money out of me like a 5 dollar hooker lol. Can't be anything easy can there lol.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
negolien
GL Member

Anyone know the specs for the monsoon head unit so I can decide what the system needs?
Old 05-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
negolien
GL Member

Crutchfield having another sale on Audio equipment. Interested on whether EQs and stuff are worth it in general. I have the base head unit, front 4x6, tweeters, monsoon amp, SoundStream bi-amplified 6x9 Kenwood 8105d and the Subs. I did have to let them tap into the speakers for the amp or subs because there was no rca pre amp stuff. I also will be upgrading the Head unit soon as I get some cash.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_161LC2I...ol#details-tab

Last edited by negolien : 05-07-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
perrym11
GX Member

perrym11 is on a distinguished road
You don't have to bypass the Monsoon amp when you install a new HU. Just make sure you get the right harness, and you'll be fine.

Last edited by perrym11 : 05-08-2013 at 01:50 PM. Reason: used wrong word
perrym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrym11 View Post
You don't have to bypass the Monsoon amp when you install a new HU. Just make sure you get the right bracket, and you'll be fine.

This....

You don't have to bypass the Monsoon amp. You just have to get the right wiring harness. Ebay sells them relatively cheap.

I've done this before on a Nissan with the Bose system. You have to get a radio with 3 preouts, that way each section has its own RCA cable. You have front RCA, rear RCA and Sub RCA in this set up.

This is the harness you'll need to keep the amp. Now I'm not sure if the radio speaker wires can give the amp the signal, because I know this to not be true in Nissans, but the harness doesn't have the RCA cables attached. Should it not work, you'll need a converter for it.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMOS...n-Adapter.html
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
negolien
GL Member

I was making sure that the new head unit will have enough preamp outputs, a sub output and 4.8 preamp voltage..

I' am wondering how the factory monsoon unit connects to the factory amp? It would be nice if it was RCAs but probably not likely lol. I have my after market Kenwood working off of a line tap I guess is what it is. I will be looking forward to having a dedicated sub preamp.

As a side note...When I took my camera out and recorded my system for an audio clip it sounded horrible when listening to the recorded audio but fine when actually listening to it live. Is that just the lack of ability for the recording device to pick up the lows?
Old 05-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
perrym11
GX Member

perrym11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
I was making sure that the new head unit will have enough preamp outputs, a sub output and 4.8 preamp voltage..

I' am wondering how the factory monsoon unit connects to the factory amp? It would be nice if it was RCAs but probably not likely lol. I have my after market Kenwood working off of a line tap I guess is what it is. I will be looking forward to having a dedicated sub preamp.

As a side note...When I took my camera out and recorded my system for an audio clip it sounded horrible when listening to the recorded audio but fine when actually listening to it live. Is that just the lack of ability for the recording device to pick up the lows?

It's not RCAs. It's a mess.
perrym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
simonclay
GX Member

simonclay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It's not RCAs. It's a mess.

Agreed

Quote:
Is that just the lack of ability for the recording device to pick up the lows?

Yes, probably
simonclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
negolien
GL Member

Thanks
Old 05-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #12
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Did you manage to hook it up?
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote