Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 09-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
Question Pass-Lock / Pass-Key

first of all is the name of the ignition security system in out car called passlock or passkey. i've seen both names used and i was wondering what the difference is. also, how do they work and is there a way to reset them if you are having difficulty getting your ignition to work and start the car? help is greatly appreciated!

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
you turn the key to the on position for 10 min the security light will be on then blink then turn key to off for a second then start it up then u r good to go
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:36 AM   #3
Kardain
GX Member

Kardain is on a distinguished road
Passkey is where there is a small resistor chip in the key itself (will look like a little black thing).

http://www.thirdgen.org/vats_passkey_system
Quote:
The Pass-Key, Pass-Key II, or VATS, as it's called in earlier GM vehicles, uses a resistor mounted in the key blank to confirm that the correct ignition key is being used to start the engine. Many people call the resistor pellet a "chip" due to the common misconception that it is some sophisticated digital circuit to identify the key to the car. Not quite. It is not a “chip” of silicon as is customarily used for integrated circuits, but merely a block of carbon appropriately sized to have a desired electrical resistance.

Passlock is where there is a lack of that chip and instead there are 4 wires in the ignition cylinder which communicate with the BCM. From there, the BCM will send the correct "key" to the PCM to allow the car to start. This was introduced in 1996 as a replacement to Passkey (although Key may have been used for a bit longer). Some vehicles, particularly those that do not have a BCM, have the correct "security key" sent to the PCM via other means. Example, my Sunfire has Passlock, but no BCM, so the key was sent by the instrument cluster Your Alero has Passlock

Since it is a multi-wire setup, if you are good with schematics, it would be relatively easy to put in an immobilizer using the Passlock wiring

The relearn procedure for Grand Am/Alero is turn key to run (do not crank), let sit for 11 minutes, no less... more is OK. Turn key off 5 seconds and then attempt to start car

http://www.j-body.org/faq//98/ <-- I know its a J-body link, but its the same procedure when I wired in my Grand Am BCM . Note: The first sentence in Step 5 may be skipped and go straight to "start car". However, it may be necessary to repeat the procedure if the car doesn't start right away.

Quote:
1. Turn ON the igniton, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, it will be flashing. After approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the PASSlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords, on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the PASSlock Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You MUST turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the PASSlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.
7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will clear themselves after 100 ignition cycles.

1997 Sunfire + 3400 + 5spd = constant work in progress
Kardain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:29 AM   #4
CiscoPath
GL Member

CiscoPath is an unknown quantity at this point
Something I've been wondering. One reason I've never gotten remote start for my Al is I've heard resetting/bypassing the PassLock system was a PITA. But is that all there is to it?
CiscoPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:17 AM   #5
01silveralero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardain View Post
Passkey is where there is a small resistor chip in the key itself (will look like a little black thing).

http://www.thirdgen.org/vats_passkey_system

Passlock is where there is a lack of that chip and instead there are 4 wires in the ignition cylinder which communicate with the BCM. From there, the BCM will send the correct "key" to the PCM to allow the car to start. This was introduced in 1996 as a replacement to Passkey (although Key may have been used for a bit longer). Some vehicles, particularly those that do not have a BCM, have the correct "security key" sent to the PCM via other means. Example, my Sunfire has Passlock, but no BCM, so the key was sent by the instrument cluster Your Alero has Passlock

Since it is a multi-wire setup, if you are good with schematics, it would be relatively easy to put in an immobilizer using the Passlock wiring

The relearn procedure for Grand Am/Alero is turn key to run (do not crank), let sit for 11 minutes, no less... more is OK. Turn key off 5 seconds and then attempt to start car

http://www.j-body.org/faq//98/ <-- I know its a J-body link, but its the same procedure when I wired in my Grand Am BCM . Note: The first sentence in Step 5 may be skipped and go straight to "start car". However, it may be necessary to repeat the procedure if the car doesn't start right away.

i have yet to not have it work right after though i guess my ignition just isnt that messed up yet
Old 09-21-2007, 10:18 AM   #6
01silveralero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiscoPath View Post
Something I've been wondering. One reason I've never gotten remote start for my Al is I've heard resetting/bypassing the PassLock system was a PITA. But is that all there is to it?

pretty much it..... i guess
Old 09-21-2007, 09:53 PM   #7
GoldStar611
GX Member

GoldStar611 is on a distinguished road
no, I bypassed the passlock in my car and I also put on a two way switch so I can turn it off if need be. I supposed I'm a little more handy with electronics, thats why I'm in school for a EE. I set up a nice post for finding the value of the passlock and I'll help if you need assistance, just shoot an email not pm..http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...719#post252719
Yea, like silver said, I used to 10 minute reset for my car several times in the span of owning my alero. Hasn't failed me once either

Last edited by GoldStar611 : 09-21-2007 at 11:33 PM.
GoldStar611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:52 AM   #8
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
just wanted to say thanks for all the help...

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:15 AM   #9
Kardain
GX Member

Kardain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silveralero View Post
i have yet to not have it work right after though i guess my ignition just isnt that messed up yet

Much like those commercials offering the deals... "participation may vary". What works for one car may not necessarily work for the next, however a majority of the time, the 10 min reset should do the trick.

1997 Sunfire + 3400 + 5spd = constant work in progress
Kardain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #10
Auroden

Cranking fine but won't start the engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardain View Post
... What works for one car may not necessarily work for the next

My Alero stopped in the middle of driving on the Interstate highway.
I tried the previously described procedure but it didn't do the trick for me. The Security light is always on, it doesn't go away after ten minutes like someone wrote here. I repeated it again and nothing, the Security light is still there.
Is this trick a compensation for a bad ignition cylinder or that issue is something else?
I can do the modification with the resistor inserting but is that going to help either or this is something more serious? Any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW, All lights are OK, the instrument panel, power locks, power windows work fine and this is about the 2003 model, 2.2 L Ecotech engine.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:37 PM   #11
GoldStar611
GX Member

GoldStar611 is on a distinguished road
Um, this thread was 7 months old, I think you should search a little more and/or create a new thread. I never had the problem you are having but if the security light turns on then you will benefit from bypassing the passlock system altogether. (i.e. putting the correct resistor inline with the passlock wires)
GoldStar611 is offline   Reply With Quote