Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 06-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
number1alero
GL Member

number1alero is an unknown quantity at this point
amazing how well the alero handles

when doing some driving around this weekend, i decided to test my 2002 ecotec alero against my 1996 mustang cobra... both are completely stock with no mods at all....

my testing consisted of driving some straight roads, and then focusing on roads that had sharp turns where the speedlimit is suppose to be 35.

this stretch of road near my house turned out to be perfect. its got a mile long straight stretch, followed by an s turn where the turns are 90 degrees, and there are 4 of them. i was able to consistently go through the turns at about 40-45 in the alero, but only around 30-35 in the cobra

this is mainly due to a BAD front bumpsteer problem, which is a problem for all stock sn95 cobras (96-98 cobras)

bumpsteer if you dont know is where there is a link that prevents the car from hitting a bump and changing directions on the road.

just wanted to share what i never thought would happen, an economy grocery getter that easily outhandles a performance car...
number1alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
MixtapeMessiah
Southern Fly Boy returns

MixtapeMessiah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to MixtapeMessiah
as u point out like all american muscle cars, are only good going straight
Old 06-24-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
number1alero
GL Member

number1alero is an unknown quantity at this point
definetely reinforces my next purchase being a k-member kit which includes the a-arms, bumpsteer kit, coilovers, subframe connectors before i buy this built n/a motor that has 400rwhp on a safe tune
number1alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
antichrysler
GLS member

antichrysler is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to antichrysler
That's interesting... handling was one of the things I always complained about on the Aleros. It's really soggy and there's lots of body roll
antichrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
troyertrain
GLS member

troyertrain is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to troyertrain Send a message via MSN to troyertrain
yeah, i love my alero but the thing is definately not a corner carving machine. it throws me all around going around corners, one of the things i hate most about it...
troyertrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
Alon Alero
GL Member

Alon Alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alon Alero Send a message via MSN to Alon Alero
From my little experience I know that the Alero won't handle as good as most japanese/european cars (becoz its an american car after all that float on the road) but it does handle pretty much ok than u would expect from this type of american car and the most important thing is that it let's u feel good... When u drive a mazda or an audi u can do any corner better than the alero BUT u feel attached to the ground... u feel every little obstacle on the road and its very stiff...

Last edited by Alon Alero : 06-24-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Alon Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #7
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
i dont know what you guys are talking about, my alero handles like it's on rails.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:48 PM   #8
antichrysler
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabartram View Post
i dont know what you guys are talking about, my alero handles like it's on rails.

how much of the suspension did you change?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:10 PM   #9
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
even when i got it new, i felt comfortable with the handling, but now i have alot of suspension.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:32 PM   #10
antichrysler
GLS member

Yeah it's pretty decent for an american car... but it's not that great for cornering... or driving in the snow... or abrupt steering changes
Old 06-24-2007, 09:55 PM   #11
TheMeaningOfLife
GLS member

TheMeaningOfLife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheMeaningOfLife Send a message via Yahoo to TheMeaningOfLife
Mines floppy and it rolls all over the place, my old zx2 was a car that took to corners well though, it would just plant and go, the alero on the other hand you even over do it a little bit and the tires are screching and squealing. And no kidding it handles better then a mustang of any sort, wen u have that much pushing you from the rear the fronts arnt gunna stay down as well.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:01 PM   #12
Frostbite545
GL Member

Frostbite545 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Frostbite545
Compared to a few cars, the alero handles well imo. Didnt some of the GLs from 2000 up get a better suspension ? Either way, I was doing 60 and a raccoon jumped in front of me. Swerved left then right, in a really short distance, (insitinct i guess) and didnt flip the car. Tires barely complained. Guy in the car with me has a mustang n hes like yeah... in my car.. we'd be dead.
- General Exclaim UHP Tires
- 2 1/2" Pacesetter Exhaust
- S&S Headers
Frostbite545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:09 PM   #13
rowdygls
V.I.P. Member

rowdygls is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to rowdygls Send a message via MSN to rowdygls Send a message via Yahoo to rowdygls
I know one member of this site that would agree with the title of this thread and disagree with all the nay sayers. Mfuller is/was the road racing/suspension/brake guru, you had a question about how to make the alero brake or corner better, he was the guy to go talk to.

Chapter Member
rowdygls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:59 PM   #14
antichrysler
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite545 View Post
Compared to a few cars, the alero handles well imo. Didnt some of the GLs from 2000 up get a better suspension ? Either way, I was doing 60 and a raccoon jumped in front of me. Swerved left then right, in a really short distance, (insitinct i guess) and didnt flip the car. Tires barely complained. Guy in the car with me has a mustang n hes like yeah... in my car.. we'd be dead.

It's pretty hard to flip a car when it's wider than it is tall
Old 06-24-2007, 11:20 PM   #15
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
Quote:
Originally Posted by antichrysler View Post
Yeah it's pretty decent for an american car... but it's not that great for cornering... or driving in the snow... or abrupt steering changes

mines awesome in the snow, its unstopable even bottomed out
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:47 PM   #16
blueolds01
GX Member

blueolds01 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to blueolds01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite545 View Post

yes, the GL could get the 'sport' suspension package(16" rims w/ goodyears(correct me if im wrong) like all the GLS's got. mine is one of them.
-'97 s10 4.3 v6, alpine head unit, camaro rims, 2.5" cat-back w/Edelbrock SDT, Edelbrock TES headers, HPPIII, and 8mm taylor wires. 15.505@87.42mph

http://www.cardomain.com/id/s104-banger
videos-
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YvkbtiBirVo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WnmqBZkdmAM
blueolds01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:04 AM   #17
lilfee504
GX Member

lilfee504 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Old 06-25-2007, 01:15 AM   #18
antichrysler
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson_waltz View Post
mines awesome in the snow, its unstopable even bottomed out

lol i have a receipt for $9000 body damage saying it isn't
Old 06-25-2007, 01:44 AM   #19
adam337
GLS member

adam337 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to adam337
seriously anti..im getting annoyed of you. all you do is bash on aleros ALL the time and brag about your new mazda. No one cares..its about time someone says this and im probably getting a warning for this but..

Lonnie: How would she feel if I took the booty one of the ladies has offered up.. What am I going to say... It's not my fault some gifts are better then others.
adam337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:28 AM   #20
CiscoPath
GL Member

CiscoPath is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
even when i got it new, i felt comfortable with the handling

Ditto 100%. Not to be a butt or anything, but some of you guys......gulp.........probably just don't know what you're doing. If you're experiencing too much bodyroll or having too much play in the turns, it's mostly likely due to breaking your turn too early or too late, or you didn't properly negotiate the rate of speed with the turn itself, or didn't get on the gas quick enough when coming out of the apex.

In short, don't blame the car, blame the operator. I mean, how else do you explain how some Al's "feel" as though they ride on rails, and others have to fight to regain control after hitting a curb? Some Als got better suspension than the others? Hell no. It all comes from experience and how in-tune you are with your car. If you're not constantly testing yourself and the limits of your car, you're not gonna know what it's capable of or what you're actually brave enough to try. I'll say it like this. You can't be a Sunday-driver all week long and then come Sunday, decide to let loose and expect try to make a 90 degree turn at 45 MPH when you're normally making it around................5 MPH and expect to slide through it like butter? It ain't gonna happen.

Damn, that wasn't as short as previously stated. I guess i'm mainly speaking to the guys like Anti, MOL, and Troyer. Chances are, you guys either have a ton of audio making your Als a boat, or your drivings so laid back, it would put Miss Daisy to sleep 90% of the time. Those who "still" have Als and don't have it weighted down should TAKE IT TO THE TRACK......TRACK......TRACK..........TRACK............and actually see that it's not sports suspension tuned (which it wasn't built for), but can be a very grippy and responsive car IF you take the time to work with it.
CiscoPath is offline   Reply With Quote