Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 05-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
Fuzzyspudkiss
GX Member

Fuzzyspudkiss is on a distinguished road
Key won't turn past acc

Well first I was going to ask what would cause this issue...I thought it was the ignition solenoid (or whatever the thing you put the key in is called). But after further investigation I realized that its the shift mechanism that makes it so you have to be in park to remove the keys. When I put the Alero in park, they key won't remove until I physically hit the shifter, then it clicks and my key comes out perfectly fine.

It has been getting worse the past couple of days so I'm starting to worry about it. I suspect maybe a spring has gotten weaker or something and its not putting enough pressure on the mechanism to make the Alero realize that its in park. Like I said, I have no idea how the Park/key system thing works, so any incite or help is appreciated.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
I had this happen to me a couple months ago. My key wouldnt be able to turn to off while in park. What i usually had to do was shift all the way from park to 3 then back to park. It used to happen often. Recently i havn't had any problems.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
Brad Jahnke

Mine wouldn't let me completely turn the key off or remove the key after I installed an aftermarket shift knob. I found that the white part of the shift lever is pretty sensitive to where the shift knob rests and after just a little adjustment the problem went away. I don't know how relevent this is to your situation but thought it may help...
Old 05-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
Fuzzyspudkiss
GX Member

Fuzzyspudkiss is on a distinguished road
I still have the stock shift knob, but that is something to take into consideration. Thanks for all the help so far guys
Old 05-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
bushmanalero
GX Member

bushmanalero is on a distinguished road
This happened to me a few months ago and IIRC i had to remove the cover that surrounds the shifter or twist it sideways so u can spray some PB Blaster onto that gear down there. Once u get it open u will see what im talking about
bushmanalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
mastershake
GL Member

mastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond repute
oh god this happened to me i turned the car off in drive and thought i effed the car up cuz i couldnt take the key out or even restart the car. for some reason a couple start ups after this the car sputtered and i thought i completely messed it up..
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote